Health/Science/Technology Thread

Toby

I live Here
Politics encompasses many different aspect's as we all know. From History to Religion, To Science and Technology. Many of us on here including myself come from it with differing perspectives, but that does not mean that we do not hold an interest in it. Myself I am a junkie when it comes to all of these topics, on the old forum I had these three over in the general forum , but to make it easier I am putting it here in this one thread. Feel free to post articles and debate.

Toby

I live Here
Why your asthmatic child should eat more fruits and vegetables and stay off fast food

NaturalNews) Asthma is a condition of the lungs, right? A recent study has revealed one aspect of the diet which helps protect against asthma: the consumption of fermentable dietary fibers found in vegetables and fruits.

In gist, research funded by the Swiss National Science Foundation found that, after the fibers in fruits and vegetables reach the intestines, bacteria in the gut ferment them, turning them into short-chain fatty acids. These fatty acids then enter the bloodstream, where they have an impact on immune cell development in the bone marrow. When there is an external trigger or allergen, these immune cells then make their way into the lungs, where they help regulate the immune response to the offending agent. In other words, they help moderate the allergic response.

Learn more: Why your asthmatic child should eat more fruits and vegetables and stay off fast food

Toby

I live Here
Water Plumes Discovered on the Solar System’s Largest Asteroid

The largest object in the asteroid belt, Ceres, is shooting out wisps of water at a prodigious rate. This unexpected finding allows Ceres to join other small bodies in the solar system, including Saturn’s moon Enceladus and Jupiter’s moon Europa, as an icy world with gushing jets.

Because of its mass, Ceres is classified as a dwarf planet, so it’s more like frozen Pluto and less like the lumpy potato-shaped objects that we typically think of as hanging out in the asteroid belt. Scientists have long suspected that the object contains an abundance of frozen water, roughly the same amount as all the fresh water on Earth. Recent observations with the European Space Agency’s Herschel space observatory showed for the first time unmistakable signatures of water vapor shooting out from Ceres.

Water Plumes Discovered on the Solar System's Largest Asteroid - Wired Science

Toby

I live Here
Supreme Court denies US farmers protection against Monsanto

The US Supreme Court has denied organic and GMO-free farmers their day in Court against Monsanto - leaving them unable to challenge the company's patents or seek redress for GMO seed contamination.

America's farmers have been denied justice, while Monsanto's reign of intimidation is allowed to continue in rural America.

The US Supreme Court has issued a decision in the landmark federal lawsuit, Organic Seed Growers and Trade Association et al v. Monsanto.

Supreme Court denies US farmers protection against Monsanto - News - The Ecologist

Killing off natural crop reproduction..

Toby

I live Here

Toby

I live Here
Development of an advanced system of fuel cell co-generation of heat and power (micro-CHP)

A micro-CHP system is a small heat engine that provides all the power for a home: heating, ventilation, air conditioning and electricity. Many times, the electricity generated can be sold to the grid using the natural gas that gets to the houses. Scientists are working on a system that consists of two parts: a reactor to produce heat and hydrogen from natural gas, and a fuel cell that converts hydrogen to electricity.
Development of an advanced system of fuel cell co-generation of heat and power (micro-CHP) -- ScienceDaily

'Green' way to generate heat and electricity with use of fuel cells
The generation of electricity and heat with no pollution and with considerably less emission of the greenhouse gas CO2 sounds too good to be true. However, it is possible with newly designed fuel cells.

'Green' way to generate heat and electricity with use of fuel cells -- ScienceDaily

Toby

I live Here
Marijuana Pill May Be Better For Pain Relief

A pill form of marijuana provides greater pain relief than when a person smokes it, according to a new study.

The study was conducted by researchers at Columbia University in New York and was published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

The pill, known as Dronabinol, contains the active ingredient of marijuana - tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) - and has already been approved to treat chemotherapy and AIDS patients with nausea and vomiting.

Marijuana Pill May Be Better For Pain Relief - Medical News Today

Toby

I live Here
Implanted Devices Might Someday Run on Energy From Nearby Organs

(HealthDay News) -- In the future, lifesaving pacemakers, defibrillators and other implantable devices might be powered not by limited-lifespan batteries but by the limitless energy generated by the movement of a patient's own bodily organs, new animal research suggests.

The idea is to safely stitch electricity-converting materials directly onto the surface of the heart, lungs and diaphragm to draw upon the endless power that is naturally produced as each organ continuously contracts and relaxes.

Implanted Devices Might Someday Run on Energy From Nearby Organs - MedicineNet

Toby

I live Here
California Physicists Report Fusion Breakthrough

The days of fusion-powered helicopters, tanks and trucks that can operate for months on end without refueling — like today’s nuclear-powered submarines and aircraft carriers — may still be a long way off.

But scientists at California’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, which houses the National Ignition Facility, say they recently made a breakthrough by generating a fusion reaction that created more energy than it took in.

Read more: http://defensetech.org/2014/02/13/california-physicists-report-fusion-breakthrough/#ixzz2u9LAm9Cc
Defense.org

Toby

I live Here
Making artificial muscles with a spin

Materials scientist Ray Baughman of the University of Texas at Dallas and colleagues harnessed this tightening movement to lift weights. The researchers raised and lowered the weights just by heating or cooling the coiled strands. Supertwisted fibers could one day form soft, strong artificial muscles for robots, which often rely on clunky motors to move. The strands could even be knit into breathable fabrics with weaves that open and close on comm

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/making-artificial-muscles-spin

Toby

I live Here
With robots, humans face 'new society'

Humanity came one step closer in January to being able to replicate itself, thanks to the EU's approval of funding for the Human Brain Project. Danica Kragic, a robotics researcher and computer science professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, says that while the prospect of living among humanoid robots calls to mind terrifying scenarios from science fiction, the reality of how humans cope with advances in robotics will be more complex, and subtle.

"Robots will challenge the way we feel about machines in general," Kragic says. "A completely different kind of society is on the way."

With robots, humans face 'new society' -- ScienceDaily

Toby

I live Here
Skin with blood and lymphatic capillaries grown for the first time

Skin able to connect to blood and lymphatic capillaries of lab animals

Lymphatic capillaries are small vessels located in the spaces between all cells in the body, except the tissues of the central nervous system and non-vascular tissue.

The main function of the lymphatic capillaries is to drain excess fluid that has been excreted from tissues following a wound. This helps the wound healing process.

Blood capillaries are the smallest of all blood vessels in the body that connect the veins and the arteries.

For the study, the researchers isolated blood and lymphatic capillary cells from samples of human skin.
Skin with blood and lymphatic capillaries grown for the first time - Medical News Today

Toby

I live Here
Skin with blood and lymphatic capillaries grown for the first time

Skin able to connect to blood and lymphatic capillaries of lab animals

Lymphatic capillaries are small vessels located in the spaces between all cells in the body, except the tissues of the central nervous system and non-vascular tissue.

The main function of the lymphatic capillaries is to drain excess fluid that has been excreted from tissues following a wound. This helps the wound healing process.

Blood capillaries are the smallest of all blood vessels in the body that connect the veins and the arteries.

For the study, the researchers isolated blood and lymphatic capillary cells from samples of human skin.
Skin with blood and lymphatic capillaries grown for the first time - Medical News Today

AdBlock Detected

But sadly this forum can't survive without it. Please Disable your Ad Blocker on this website or purchase a Premium Account to remove all advertising. Thanks

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks