XPO | Heated dock

DSR86

TB Lurker
Credits
XFG officially has a heated dock. Sounds awesome right? Well.. Not for the few drivers coming in on the FAC.. Who not only complained but contacted HR because they had to change clothes to accommodate the warmer climate on the dock. This just further solidifies that people will complain about anything.

Before anyone says “Maybe they didn’t know” blah blah blah.. The installation of the heaters has taken several weeks. There is no way they didn’t see this coming.

XFG officially has a heated dock. Sounds awesome right? Well.. Not for the few drivers coming in on the FAC.. Who not only complained but contacted HR because they had to change clothes to accommodate the warmer climate on the dock. This just further solidifies that people will complain about anything.

Before anyone says “Maybe they didn’t know” blah blah blah.. The installation of the heaters has taken several weeks. There is no way they didn’t see this coming.
Driver told me FedEx freight build a new barn next to them...The put dock curtains around ever door have electric forklifts and the docks heated. He said last year when it was single digits without the wind chill there dock was around 45°. He was told by a driver there that all winter the dock was kept at 45 to 50°
So how hot is it in the dock at xfg. If they don't like them I surn I can find a few guys to go to xfg, were ever it is and tear them out because the fac I go to would love to have them

Driver told me FedEx freight build a new barn next to them...The put dock curtains around ever door have electric forklifts and the docks heated. He said last year when it was single digits without the wind chill there dock was around 45°. He was told by a driver there that all winter the dock was kept at 45 to 50°
So how hot is it in the dock at xfg. If they don't like them I surn I can find a few guys to go to xfg, were ever it is and tear them out because the fac I go to would love to have them
Correct.. FXF is right down the road and even when it’s below zero, all you’ll need is a sweatshirt on their dock. So far, ours have taken the “bite” away. My hat and gloves came off this morning and I thought about taking my jacket off..but I still had a sweatshirt and base layers on. We will see how they do next week when daily highs are -10

I think the only way going forward to retain some of these guys is to heat all the docks in the climates that need it. I brought this up this morning when it was 3 degrees outside and 12 dockworkers called off because of it…in one ear and out the other.

Well lets see here....Back in the day when CCX opened Sharron Pa north of I-80 at the PA/OH line. The barn they rented had heaters in it but they torn them out. When CCX/Con-way built XHG and XMI they put no insulation in the dock walls.
What needs to happen is all the FAC need to have dock curtains around the doors and have all the doors fixed. One of the biggest problem at some of these places is the wind. I have talked to drivers when this was done and it has improved the inside temp on the dock with all the lifts running. They also need to put better exhaust fans in these buildings and even add ceiling fans. Not only do we freeze our azz off in the winter, but in the summer it a steam bath in the summer even at night.
The problem now is the economy is in the crapper, low freight volumes, driver sitting, and going home on less then 8hrs. So I don't see working condition improving in the near future on these docks.

Ok. We all deserve the heaters, and the A/C units. Mario Harek if your reading this..make it happen!
I don’t think at this point their to concerned over the matter. Lowering operating cost takes precedence. Jacobs (Chairman) and the board would never approve of it.

Truck drivers complaining?