Heavy Fog I-10 W Beaumont Texas

ltl lifer

Sr. Citizen & Gold Member
Credits
This one was ugly. They were hauling wrecked 4 wheelers away on car haulers.

At least 100 cars crash on I-10, at least 2 killed | News - Home

crash21-jpg.jpg

Oh my Lord have mercy that is a horrific crash scene.
For those involved it didn't pay to climb in behind the steering wheels of their vehicles with such poor visibility.

Getting caught in a blind fog is the most terrifying experience any driver could deal with. Being unable to even see the white line on either side of the road at 10 mph with a spot light brings on serious panic.
thblur.gif

OMG!!

Once I was working at the airport driving on a service road,had to cross a taxi-way. I could hear the plane,But I couldn't even see the strobe lights on the plane. that was scarey!

Blinding snow storms with white outs,also freezing rain,right up there with fog.
Three conditions that a professional driver would be better off sitting it out till the weather clears.

Getting caught in a blind fog is the most terrifying experience any driver could deal with. Being unable to even see the white line on either side of the road at 10 mph with a spot light brings on serious panic.
thblur.gif

OMG!!

That's why you don't drive. Pull the freak over and stop.

I talked to a O/O that is leased to the same outfit I am tonight. He said he was through the same area about an hour before the big pile up. The man said he was just rolling along and it looked like he was coming up on a rain storm with the reflection of the city likes. Doing 70 mph and no fog since he left Lafayette going to Collage Station Tx, all of a sudden he could not see the end of his hood.
Returning this afternoon he said they were still pulling cars away.

Ah, I got a problem with that logic. it looks like FedEx hit something that was stopped

Stopping in the travel lane is just as stupid as driving in no visibility. Can't see? Don't drive. This isn't rocket science. If you have a problem with that, then its your funeral. Not mine. I will get off the highway and stop to wait for the fog to clear while your dumb ass gets killed because you were in too much of a rush.

And yes, these kind of accidents irk me because they are completely avoidable. "I can't see, so I'm just going to continue driving blind". Did your mom drop you on the head as a baby? Because only a idiot would do that.

Stopping in the travel lane is just as stupid as driving in no visibility. Can't see? Don't drive. This isn't rocket science. If you have a problem with that, then its your funeral. Not mine. I will get off the highway and stop to wait for the fog to clear while your dumb ass gets killed because you were in too much of a rush.

You got all the answers because you have never been in that situation. You have no white line on the highway to guide you. Duh, your fog lights are useless..your spotlight is useless. You cannot tell the travel lane from the ditch. You cannot get off the highway in time because you cannot see the exit if there were an exit. You're screwed no matter what you do. You come into a wall of fog and have little time to react duh. Stick to your city peddle professor

It's difficult to not attack the author and I did the best with what was available.
Airbrakes=That's why you don't drive. Pull the freak over and stop.
Have you EVER driven in Texas? WHERE are all those available areas to "pull the freak over and stop"??
Airbrakes=Hey look....... There's a Fedex truck in the middle of that.........figures.
There's also the remnants of a STEVEN'S TRANSPORT truck, so ya have another negative comment??
Airbrakes=Stopping in the travel lane is just as stupid as driving in no visibility. Can't see? Don't drive. This isn't rocket science. If you have a problem with that, then its your funeral. Not mine. I will get off the highway and stop to wait for the fog to clear while your dumb ass gets killed because you were in too much of a rush.
HOW recently have you driven in Texas? Oh, right, you're a day cab driver for u.p.s. or a trailer jockey and NEVER in Fog or Rain.
And yes, these kind of [COLOR=#00007F !important]accidents[/COLOR] irk me because they are completely avoidable. "I can't see, so I'm just going to continue driving blind". Did your mom drop you on the head as a baby? Because only a idiot would do that.
NO, they're not!!
Never driven into a Rain Wall or Dense Fog??--one moment it's dry, next it's wet..one moment it's clear, next it's not, and YOU (general reference) are still traveling at highway speed--FOG at NIGHT is worse, but then of course you claim you simply STOP and WAIT, how nice.

MANY areas of Highways do not allow vehicles to simply "pull the freak over and wait" and some times such actions CAUSE WRECKS.

There are signs (usually big black letters on white background for the few of US who can still READ ENGLISH) on the major Highways in Texas (as well south central and south western states) stating DO NOT DRIVE INTO SMOKE, and these signs do not apply to folk like you that somehow have reservations on roadsides to "pull over and wait".
Hopefully for you (and any person unfortunately riding with ya), you don't get creamed after you decided to "pull over and wait" for whatever nasty weather to clear up.

It's actually AMAZING there were only 2 Deaths!!