XPO | Heavy Load

CVEN

TB Lurker
Credits
What is the maximum amount of weight that should be loaded in the first 4 feet of a pup being pulled with one of our single axles?

What is the maximum amount of weight that should be loaded in the first 4 feet of a pup being pulled with one of our single axles?

The standard rule of thumb used at Con-Way, (based on the kingpin position) is 1000 lbs per foot...at least that's what I was told by a other Con-Way employees...so 4000 lbs. in the first 4 feet and you should scale fine (on our single axle Sterlings).

1,000 lbs a ft is what I have heard too. However, I had someone telling me in the first 4' you should not exceed 2,000 lbs. I had never heard that before and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!

Shoot...when I was at AF, we used to put 5000 lbs in the first 4 feet and scaled fine all the time, well...almost always.
But it's all variable...I've seen loads overweight when we thought we had less than 4000 lbs in the nose and other times thought we were over, only to have it scale just fine...so go figure. I suppose the best thing would be to always load it with a forklift that has a scale on it. Because, unless it's been re-weighed by us, the customer weights are sometimes just guesses...

If you want to avoid ever having to backstrip one because the nose is heavy, then stick to 2000 to 2500 pounds in the first four feet of a pup. I know they are loaded heavier than that, but I also know that I've never had to waste anyone's time by having a trailer backstripped by sticking to the 2500 pound rule.

one thing ive always done when building really heavy trailers is try to have no more than 2,500-3,000lbs in the first 5-6 feet. that way you can slam 20 grand in the next 10 to 15. scales every time. when you do that though, make sure the last 5 feet of the trailer are heavier than first 5. that takes some of the weight off of the drives. but dont exceed the 1000lbs/ft rule. but ive also seen trailers grossing over 20k with 5000 in the last 3 ft. and theyll scale. just remember, you can stuff the trailer full of weight between the red lines. as long as you follow the lb/ft rule for the rest of the trailer. the heaviest trailer i made was 27,xxx. it scaled with 19's on both axles.

that's excatly what i was gonna say paul wall, 19grand in the nose and 19 in the tail scales fine...

also when i worked at yellow they said 5 grand in the nose.... at conway 4
maybe the position of the kingpin on trailer or 5fth wheel on tractor?
maybe because yellow rails most of their stuff.... and con-way has more lineruns that pass through scales....

now here is a question few can answer.....

the right way (weight) to load a 53 footer long box? nose max, center max, tail max with 2 or 3 axles....

that's excatly what i was gonna say paul wall, 19grand in the nose and 19 in the tail scales fine...

also when i worked at yellow they said 5 grand in the nose.... at conway 4
maybe the position of the kingpin on trailer or 5fth wheel on tractor?
maybe because yellow rails most of their stuff.... and con-way has more lineruns that pass through scales....

now here is a question few can answer.....

the right way (weight) to load a 53 footer long box? nose max, center max, tail max with 2 or 3 axles....

Even if you build the load for the rails it must still scale. I run loads from Detroit to Chicago rail yards and must cross three scales.
It is my responsibility as a driver to make sure that my truck is legal.
Problem at Con-Way is that most of the terminals do not have scales.

The answer to the original question is 1000# per foot.
Do not go over 5000# in the first five feet. Then you can load the rear with 19 0r up to 22,000# after the first five feet.
At xpn we would get bins of autoparts that would weigh 3000# or more in just a small 3'X3' tote. Guys would single them out down the middle and waste room for other freight. I would split these up watching what I loaded on the trailer. The heavest I loaded was well over 26,000# going to XNJ. It cleared all the scales and management was happy because they got load factor.