Estes | Help a Newb

crb

TB Lurker
Credits
Somebody please explain the axle weights on pups what is good what is bad what is legal.

Any tips on hooking pups a right, wrong, better way.

This is all new to us just trying to get some tips of the trade.
Any info concerning pups is greatly appreciated.

Somebody please explain the axle weights on pups what is good what is bad what is legal.

First thing... Don't ask Elvis and Beerboy... They will start a fight! ( a little inside )

** Always remember When you arrive and are ready to dis-connect... Step off the truck, and put your rear landing gear down first, before any move you make. Get that in your head and keep it there forever.

** See the pic of my tipped trailer? One thousand pounds of freight per foot, in front of the landing gear. This one had 6000 in three feet.:duh:( The set was pre hooked ) If it is in a dock, and you step onto the trailer, and it floats up and down, you have a problem.
Check for paint on your manifest. It's heavy and when nose loaded, will tip most every time, if no more freight to counter it. If you are loading heavy in the nose, put up a load bar 4 feet back.

** Search out smooth and level ground to push your dolly around, to set up.

** Check the tongue latch, :tongue0015:check it again, check it again, check it again. Absolutely KNOW it is secure when you drive away!

** If you are traveling down the highway, and you see that last trailer starting to ride sideways, step on the throttle to straighten it out.

** Never hook up a set in a hurry! Stay focused at all times, and have a good flashlight.

I've been pulling pups on and off for twenty years, and I still have not lost the funny feeling like you have completed a turn, and still see a trailer coming up the street.

As far as the axle weights, Estes light junk freight, will rarely come into play. Just make sure the heaviest pup is in front.

I can go on all day, if you need more help, or have specifics, let me know.

1000lbs per foot in the first 12 feet is a good general rule to keep you from being over on the lead. Check your hand written dock manifest when you have a load over 20,000 to see how the first few shipments are loaded (hopefully they were written up as loaded):hysterical:.

You don't want your manifest weight for the set over 40,000lbs.

Like above, there are millions of wisdom nuggets related to pulling sets, just take your time and ensure you do it right, double check yourself and never get comfortable (complacent) with your abilities.

Good Luck!

hey what did i do ???:hide: i was just havin fun !! :funky:12000 on steer 20000 on single drives 34000 on twin. 20000 on every axle thereafter. unless you have a van then its 12000 steer 34000 drives with a twin (20000 with a single drive axle tractor) then the tandems on the trailer is 34000 also just remember tandem is 34000 and the single is 20000. unless its the steer 12000 lbs. with a twin you could be all good on axle but you have to watch your gross. 80000 :smilie_132:good luck and we where all newbs at some point. the only stupied question is the one not asked :1036316054: confused ???

When I'm forced to goto the yard and jockey.. and I hook or break sets.. I always have a routine. Once you figure out a routine for hookin or breaking, you'll have no issues on forgetting anything..and like Legshot said.. after you drop that tail pup a few times and it has 20,000#'s on it, and you have to crank that thing up.. you'll always remember. My routine for breaking pups is as follows.. I always work back to front...(after I back into the lead of course)

1) Drop legs on Tail Pup
2) pull pin on dollie
3**) here's a good tip.. when you get to the dollie, always always look for the air release valve and turn it first.. if you have a slow leaker it might take a while to release the air.
4) I disconnect the Power chords first, then the air lines, then the chains. Then put the dummies on the lead.
5) crank the legs up on the lead
6) connect the air lines
7) drag the dollie on the back of the lead, back it all up to where we drop the dollies and proceed with putting the trailers away.

Hooking a set..

1) always make sure you grab the right lead #
back into it and hook as normal.
2) back lead pup toward dollie, and proceed to hook dollie as follows..
3) another good routine to follow... first thing's first, turn air valve on dolly (its easier to find when its not hooked to both pups)
4) lift dollie onto lead pup, flip latch, connect chains, hook air lines and power chord to lead pup, hook air lines (for tail pup) to the dummies on the dollie
5) find and confirm tail pup # (remember you jjust hooked these damn things, you don't wanna have to break and rehook em) Get out and check tail pup height.. you DO NOT want to jump the pin. Correct tail pup height accordingly
6) back lead and dollie into tail pup, once hooked a slight..i repeat slight tug to make sure you're connected (if the tail pup is sitting too high, where it didn't lift when the dollie connected.. this will save you from having to crank up pinched legs.
7) release air, crank up tail pup legs, duck under tail pup and check to see if 5th wheel latched, hook remaining air lines and power chords.
8) drag them to the outbound

Granted, this IS NOT the approved way..but once you've hooked pups or broke them.. you'll find out what works for you. Always take your time and make sure its done right. Safety first.. remember you have 15mins to hook them (according to the video) Always make sure the tail pup's latch to the dollie, ALWAYS make sure the pintle hook on the lead is flipped closed, and always make sure the legs on the pups are set according to wether you're breaking them or hooking them..and you'll never have any major problems.. losing air is an easy fix, lights not working easy fix.. losing a tail pup, priceless. Have a good one all :1036316054: :smilie_132:

If you are an employee ask your TM they have a nice little company produced video. Even if you don"t learn nothing from it you can have good little giggle watching it cuz it's so corny.:biglaugh::hysterical::1036316054: