Here’s our first look at Uber Freight, Uber’s long-haul trucking venture

well frankly, all i can see is this is a cut-rate carrier.

they will still need experienced drivers, and pay them a good salary, hopefully benefits.

but as the meags cut rates, so will uber. in fact, uber may be lower than the ones now that are cutting the throats of all others.

Cut throats getting their throat cut by the cut throats who will cut their own throat. Now that's cut throat technology.

well frankly, all i can see is this is a cut-rate carrier.

they will still need experienced drivers, and pay them a good salary, hopefully benefits.

but as the meags cut rates, so will uber. in fact, uber may be lower than the ones now that are cutting the throats of all others.
If they get loads from direct shippers, we can get even more, than we get from brokers for this load. It is just a matter of percentage Uber takes.
Seems it will be low right from the start and then will increase smoothly

Cut throats getting their throat cut by the cut throats who will cut their own throat. Now that's cut throat technology.
Can't wait until uber starts advertising for help with this venture.....
Competitive pay!!!!
You choose when you want to work!!
Benefits offered!!!!
Independent contractor status!!!!
Be your own boss!!!!

They won't need qualified drivers,just train for drop & hooks,well maybe blind side backing in some cases.
I know I've seen the video's of guys kicked back,while the Semi is heading straight down the highway.
I haven't seen any driver-less backing yet,I mean to say that is a critical part of delivering freight.
Anyone can drive straight,however backing does take a little skill,I'd like to see a driver-less backing video.
I bet it would be a lot of laughs.

I think there are just far too many variables on the roadways for these do-dads to be viable, and there's a boatload of them that pop-up on just a daily basis, the driver-less cars are in the news quite often with accidents, and the general public is not going to be any to happy sharing the road with a 80,000 lb computers.

They won't need qualified drivers,just train for drop & hooks,well maybe blind side backing in some cases.
I know I've seen the video's of guys kicked back,while the Semi is heading straight down the highway.
I haven't seen any driver-less backing yet,I mean to say that is a critical part of delivering freight.
Anyone can drive straight,however backing does take a little skill,I'd like to see a driver-less backing video.

You see, the exact uber model replica won't work for freight transportation. Too many differences. And sometimes shippers will ask for an opportunity to chose the carrier they want. So they will be able to decline the carrier who has accepted the load.

the story does not really mention, self driving trucks, only that Uber bought Otto.....

that could come in time however (self driving trucks).

Wait...doesn't Ford have a pickup truck that will back your boat trailer?

Hmm backing a boat & bumping docks between other Semi's would seem like apples & oranges in comparison.
If they have a software that would back a boat trailer, all they would have to do is add a few lasers and tweek the software a bit.

Who says uber can compete with drivers that make less than minimum wage? Going to be pretty hard to go head to head with werner, swift, and prime.

I think this whole thing with driver-less vehicles comes from computer programmers who see the stats on the number of decisions an alert driver makes in a minute and thinks his computer can do that in a fraction of a nano second so they think it's easy, but I think we all know there are situations that can't be programmed for, so good luck to them and hopefully nobody dies.

Those same tech guy's downplay manual labor as simple, but ask any of them to do it, and they fall flat on their face.

I work with a bunch of millenials, and they can do anything on a phone. But they don't have a clue how to change a u joint. Or a ball joint. Or trace a bad ground. They are literally worthless.