SAIA | Hiring in Grand Prairie

RoadRage7

TB Lurker
Credits
I just noticed the Grand Prairie, Texas terminal is hiring local city drivers. Does anyone have any additional info on this. Hours, days, pay? When was the last time this terminal went through lay offs? Everytime I see them hiring, two months later I hear they just laid off drivers. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

we don't have a grand prairie, tx terminal. could it be the DLS terminal? i cannot help with specifics at that terminal, but we have not had a layoff in about a year or so. the state of texas is a great freight area for us as well, so i would be less worried about a layoff at one of those terminals vs. another area.

Demo, the DLS terminal is located in the city of Grand Prairie, Tx. The GRL terminal is located in Dallas, TX. The story behind that is that when Saia originally came to the Dallas area it was located in the city limits of Dallas. Two or three moves later it is now in Grand Prairie. When it was decided to add an additional terminal, DLS was already taken so they picked a suburb of Dallas-Garland (GRL). As for the hiring the only way to find out is to submit the application on line. Starting wages, Hmmm, will have to ask. Hours? you start at the bottom and work your way up. Most likely a noon or later start time depending on workload and need. The layoffs took place when freight was slowing down. Now things are getting better. Hope this is helpful.

Benefits

I know I'm bein a little lazy but how long do you have to work for Saia before health benefits go into effect? It looks like the Dallas terminal is pretty busy seeing that they have been hiring for the last couple of months.

Im new here but have applied to Saia several times and cant seem to get a response. New to the Dallas area and would love to get hired. Applied at Garland too. Any advice?

Im new here but have applied to Saia several times and cant seem to get a response. New to the Dallas area and would love to get hired. Applied at Garland too. Any advice?

Don't feel bad brother, They do me the same way and I meet all their qualifications no tickets, chargeable accidents, or criminal record. I have P&D and Line-haul expereince and doubles experince

I finally got an interview with Saia. I was told start time for new hires would be anywhere from 1-3 in the afternoon. Just as an average how long do you think it would take before start times get better? By better I mean earlier. Of course, they wouldn't answer except it could be a year or longer. Does this sound about right? Has anyone seen shorter times? Longer times? Im considering just goin ahead and jumping on it. BTW this is out of the Dallas (grand prairie) terminal. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

I followed the advice and dropped by the terminal in GP with my resume but still nothing. I have applied for every opening in the area trying to get hired and I dont mind the later start hours but I cant even get an interview.

When I started there it was around 6 months later start times got earlier. During the winter months you might be asked to take the day off, but its like that everywhere. Starting out all you do is swaps, thats easy. Delivering and picking up at hard to get to small business can be tough. Swaps are mostly big distribution centers with lots of docks. The smaller terminals usually need city drivers it seems.

Hadeshorn said:
When I started there it was around 6 months later start times got earlier. During the winter months you might be asked to take the day off, but its like that everywhere. Starting out all you do is swaps, thats easy. Delivering and picking up at hard to get to small business can be tough. Swaps are mostly big distribution centers with lots of docks. The smaller terminals usually need city drivers it seems.

Thanks for the info Hadeshorn! I was told I'd be doing the swaps to start off and then eventually get into more of a p&d slot later. I've been with my current company for about 6 1/2 yrs working M-F, but in order to make any money I have to run all over Texas which is at least one night out a week. Lately it's been a little more than that. How do you like it over there? How many hours are you getting a week?