XPO | Hiring on

gimpy

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like to know if anyone can give me ACCURATE information on hiring on with Conway. Among the questions are 1) How hard is it to hire on as a part timer in the NY/NJ/CT area ? 2) Does Conway still have the driver apprentice program ? 3) Does Conway hire student drivers ? 4 ) If they do what are the standards ( I.E. courses, hours of training etc. etc.) that the training academy are held to ? As I said any ACCURATE information would be greatly appreciated Thank You

there are so many unemployed ltl drivers with exp i doubt they are hiring any student drivers now.maybe when yrc goes down the tubes they will start to hire student drivers.

I would like to know if anyone can give me ACCURATE information on hiring on with Conway. Among the questions are 1) How hard is it to hire on as a part timer in the NY/NJ/CT area ? 2) Does Conway still have the driver apprentice program ? 3) Does Conway hire student drivers ? 4 ) If they do what are the standards ( I.E. courses, hours of training etc. etc.) that the training academy are held to ? As I said any ACCURATE information would be greatly appreciated Thank You

The only one I can accurately answer is #1. In the Tri-State, you will be very easy to hire as a part timer. Pulse, you breathe, and you have all your limbs you can be a part-timer.

The rest I don't know. I see you're in the Bronx. I would recommend contacting these terminals directly for accurate answers - Not sure what is the best when factoring in distance, tolls, and overall commute but these are the ones in your area.

Elmsford, NY which services the Bronx, Brooklyn, NY, Bridgeport, Ct, Carlstadt, NJ, and Newark, NJ. Good luck dude.

Last I remember XNW in Montgomery, NY still had the training program. Con-way is hot and heavy into hiring part time dockworkers right now, it could at least be a foot in the door. (845) 457-4040

go to a terminal and fill out an application....all you have to lose is a half hour of youre time...part time is dock only as far as i know

In the Northeast several terminals are hiring, I imagine the NY/NJ terms would be or recently have been hiring.

Part timer is easy, they WILL hire students (though I assume experience trumps) and at least SOME terminals will hire trainees still I think.

At my terminal they hire part-timers, work them a while, make the trainee program known to them and pick from those interested.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Affirmative.

Thanks for the short direct to the point answer there Bankrupt. Do they get all lay-off crazy about December? This is the third time in 4 1/2 years I've started at the bottom of a pay scale, I hope this will be my last, I'm lookin for a home.:shift:

Thanks for the short direct to the point answer there Bankrupt. Do they get all lay-off crazy about December? This is the third time in 4 1/2 years I've started at the bottom of a pay scale, I hope this will be my last, I'm lookin for a home.:shift:
Your welcome. What you said is refreshing because I am told I need to say what I mean.

The industry typically slows at the end of each year, but have seen layoffs in less then 1/2 of them since I've been there. - No telling.

It USED to be a "this is my last job" kind of place, sadly it just is not that anymore.............view it as your "next job", not your "last", and see if you can deal with the method of operation for a while. It isn't much of a job anymore, but still beats looking for one. Albeit for some, that distinction is a bit blurred.

Run where? Conway is the only LTL carrier hiring in this GREAT RECCESSION. I was told 3yrs to top pay. Was this wrong?

Even though they SAY we are one company we really are not. Southern takes 3 years to top pay .. central and East 5 years and I am not sure about western ... Mike Varnco works for fed ex national and pretty much his opinion is coming from someone who does not work at conway ... i.e we call guys like him a troll...

Even though they SAY we are one company we really are not. Southern takes 3 years to top pay .. central and East 5 years and I am not sure about western ... Mike Varnco works for fed ex national and pretty much his opinion is coming from someone who does not work at conway ... i.e we call guys like him a troll...

seriously, con-way is the only major carrier hiring nationwide. From dockworkers to drivers. I even hear rumors of starting up the schools again. (learn how to get your CDL)

Wondering99 for western (where i am located) it does take 5 years to top pay.

Every barn i go to has a bunch of new dockworkers. You can tell because they are wearing ordinary clothes; jeans and such and do not have con-way uniforms. Most of the drivers who were laid off early this year are back, and i've seen quite a few new drivers and some road tests being done at my barn.

The new TL pricing for LTL freight has generated a lot of freight thats like 12 pallets on 1 bill and such. Which is great...for now..

what scares me about it though is that they are charging TL rates (cheaper) but paying LTL labor (higher costs). They can go about balancing this in many ways if you guys know what i mean. When something seems too good to be true, ive learned that it usually isnt. But i can still hope!

As it is though at the FAC they (linehaul) are having trouble finding more long boxes every night, and so it goes on pups for us DSRS to haul. Is there going to be some kind of influx of OTR drivers soon? I seriously dont see all the laid off drivers from other truck companies working for what OTR pays. I believe in most cases, unemployment pays more than what an OTR outfit would pay you. At worst you can find a forklift or warehouse job that pays more or isnt a lot less with a better quality of life. Is it really getting that bad out there that drivers will resort to OTR work?

Run where? Conway is the only LTL carrier hiring in this GREAT RECCESSION.

Then answer me this:
With all this booming freight and hiring men off the street,
Are you guys getting the wages back they took from you?
How about your 401k re-instated?
Nope, didn't think so.

Just because you see freight piling up on the docks and runs added, doesn't mean they're making money hauling this stuff.
I've seen Conway's pricing and some of it borders on the bizzare and irrational.
But at least men are working.
For how long tho, who knows?

Then answer me this:
Nope, didn't think so.

Just because you see freight piling up on the docks and runs added, doesn't mean they're making money hauling this stuff.
I've seen Conway's pricing and some of it borders on the bizzare and irrational.

Not as bad as some other carriers. I have seen up to 95% discount at one. How do they even pay the driver to pick it up?

Then answer me this:
Nope, didn't think so.

This just another post of the same trying to deride those good folks who are doing their very best to do the job for which they were hired.

This post in some form has appeared in many other forums. The post is to put it midly is simply assinine. No continuity of intelligence...just a never ending barage of negativity aimed at the good folk!!!

Really sad that someone at FedEx feel it is necessary to come to our forum and bash us!!!

Rat