1. All employers have a social media policy, Your identity is UNKNOWN on Truckingboards unless you reveal it somehow yourself. When you post to Facebook Trucking Groups, everybody knows your name. Think about it.

Dayton Freight Hiring spree

Discussion in 'Dayton Freight' started by tread, Dec 17, 2018.

1. tread

tread Active Member

I noticed DF is still on a hiring spree at least in the Chicago area.

Is there a reason for it?
    Seems volume has slowed at most national carriers since Oct... so was expecting less job ads.

Noticed DF hourly and mileage pay is now on par with FXF... so thinking about applying to Des Plaines.

2. miltowntrucker

miltowntrucker Member

Des Plaines is a big terminal so they are most likely hiring. I know Rockford and Madison, WI are.

3. tread

tread Active Member

Would a new hire run Des Plaines to Crest Hill... or are further destinations realistic?

ED FORCE ONE likes this.
  4. ED FORCE ONE

ED FORCE ONE Well-Known Member

Ha your expecting to get stiffed im from estes we bid runs in feb and theres always work and a lot of vacation weeks to cover

5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Member

3rd Chi term is in the works

bubs and ED FORCE ONE like this.
  6. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

How long until Dayton gets into Ga?

7. ED FORCE ONE

ED FORCE ONE Well-Known Member

I believe that desplaines looks jammed turning left onto n w hwy looks dangerous

8. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Member

who knows, Chattanooga coming on board next. coverage down to Dalton?

9. bubs

bubs Banned

It sucks. I absolutely hate it

10. bubs

bubs Banned

Are you referring to linehaul or city p&d? We had 3 or 4 unfilled Indy runs on he bid this past month. So I would imagine that Des plaines (ord) plans to hire more. Personally, I think that crest hill (mdw) is a better place of the two. Better linehaul runs and not having to return during i294 traffic let's you get more miles

tread and coondogg like this.
  11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Member

what do you think Madison coming online will do?

12. bubs

bubs Banned

Not much for now. They filled the linehaul spots as far as I know. Anything else will be serviced my MIL and ROC, I would imagine.

coondogg likes this.
  13. LTLIndentured

LTLIndentured Well-Known Member

How’s volume at Dayton now? Everyone getting the hours they want? Dayton still hiring?

14. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Driver Since:
    It's hard to judge because my terminal is generally booming due to expansion and aggressive sales, but from what I understand tonnage is down throughout the system, just like other companies are experiencing. Linehaul has been on a hiring freeze for a while. Unfilled bids are helping our open drivers not suffer so much due to the slowdown.

On the other hand, profits are fine because "yield" per shipment is up to compensate for the lower volume so the company seems to be weathering the situation very well. Unfortunately, drivers haul freight, not profits. I'm not sure how many hours most city guys are getting, but I'm sure OT is down right now. The good news is that I haven't heard about any layoffs anywhere.

icuicp, Big Dave and Frootloop like this.