ABF | Hoffa’s in a Rush to Sell ABF Deal

Docker

"Just the facts, ma'am"
Credits
The Hoffa administration is moving fast to push the ABF contract. The details of the secret deal will be revealed on Thursday. Electronic voting to approve or reject the deal will begin within days after that. ABF Teamsters need to be ready to cast an informed vote.

The International union has directed all ABF locals to hold a membership meeting this weekend—April 14-15—to review the proposed tentative agreement. We urge all ABF Teamsters to review the contract and attend their local meeting if possible.

We will publish the terms of the tentative deal as soon as possible on Thursday, April 12, following the meeting of Teamster officers to review the deal. We will then issue an information bulletin to you to read and distribute.

Get our bulletins by Friday to be informed and talk with your fellow Teamsters. It’s your future and your contract—not Hoffa’s.

The ratification will be by electronic voting, via computer or phone call, beginning approximately April 20.

The IBT Freight Division will hold a conference call on Thursday, April 12, at 8 p.m. Eastern time, to try to sell the tentative deal and to explain electronic voting.

New England Joint Council 10 is urging a NO vote to send the deal back for renegotiation, based on the pension contribution freeze.

http://www.tdu.org/hoffa_s_in_a_rush_to_sell_abf_deal

I just heard... which I can't verify... that the meetings won't take place until the weekend of the 21st and 22nd and then the voting to take place some time after that. And that the ballots will be being mailed.

If there's anyone that can verify that either of these conflicting stories are true or not... it will be appreciated.

VxmSezF.jpg

I just heard... which I can't verify... that the meetings won't take place until the weekend of the 21st and 22nd and then the voting to take place some time after that. And that the ballots will be being mailed.

If there's anyone that can verify that either of these conflicting stories are true or not... it will be appreciated.
I got a text from a steward that all the info is going to be presented on the 12 and all info released to us after the meeting.

I just got word that the IBT put out a flyer saying dates for meetings at locals would be 14th or 15th and 21st or 22nd. Ballots would be mailed on or about April 19th with voting closing on or about May 8th. Votes to be counted May 10th.

I will try to post that flyer in the morning.

I just got word that the IBT put out a flyer saying dates for meetings at locals would be 14th or 15th and 21st or 22nd. Ballots would be mailed on or about April 19th with voting closing on or about May 8th. Votes to be counted May 10th.

I will try to post that flyer in the morning.

7984828185.jpg

I'm starting to think they don't want us to see this contract in writing! Maybe focus on the few good things so you don't see the whole package. If they feel it's not going their way be prepared for some false threats again. See "YRC interested in ABF acquisition" 5+ years ago! The "best you're gonna get guys" line comes to memory.

What It Means to Vote No

The company’s first offer falls short of what can be won at the bargaining table. If a majority of ABF Teamsters Vote No, it will send our union negotiators back to the table with a mandate to get a better offer.

ABF Teamsters have sacrificed. We took concessions. We worked hard and smart—and we want some of our sacrifice back. Voting No will be a way to get it.

A contract rejection will send our Teamster negotiators back to the table backed by a message from the membership that that the company’s first offer needs to be improved.

The proposed deal gets back our lost vacation week, and that’s a good start. But on other issues, including wages, it falls short.

Wages
A 1.2% raise and a bonus are peanuts compared to the wage cut of $1.70 we took five year ago. We may not get all that back, but we can get more than this offer.

Our raises should at least keep up with inflation, which will not happen under this deal. Our standard of living will continue to fall if this contract goes through.

Pensions
We are also concerned about the pension freeze, which leaves some ABF Teamsters in danger of getting kicked out of their pension fund.

IBT Freight Director Ernie Soehl said on his conference call to sell the deal that “only” 10% of members are in danger of losing their pension, and if that happens they will be given a 401(k).

Our leadership should be defending Teamster pensions, not throwing members under the bus.

Send them Back for a Better Offer
A NO vote does not mean a strike. It means we want our negotiators to listen and come back with a better second offer.

Ernie Soehl said on the conference call that the company upped its offer during the last bargaining session. He should have keep that pressure on, to get a fair contract, instead of settling too soon.

The Hoffa administration has a record of settling short and making Teamster members send back the first offer for improvement. Carhaulers sent two offers back, and they got a much-improved contract as a result.

ABF has the best work force in the industry. We’re not greedy. We’re Teamsters. We can win a better contract if we stick together.

We urge you to review the contract, discuss it with your fellow Teamsters—and to cast your vote.

http://www.tdu.org/what_it_means_to_vote_no