Holland, Reddaway and New Penn heading to the Boneyard.....

ABF bought & dovetailed with 4 carriers, Youngblood, Navajo, ETMF & Carolina/Worldway. There were a lot of hard feelings with each acquisition.
Had there been a ‘merge’ at the outset, there may or may not have been the level of animosity. The problem was exacerbated by competitive pricing between companies. Allowing the separate but equal to fester caused significant fallout and disgruntlement.

The same with Ryder, I remember 8 acquisitions and probably a few more.
I remember some smaller carriers that were bought for operating rights, Great Lakes Express was one, but as I remember that one & the others were not organized carriers so none of the employees came with seniority. ABF had a truckload division at one time called SCAT. It was not profitable so it was closed. The owner operators were given an opportunity to be hired as company LTL drivers. A friend who owned his own rig decided to continue as an O/O. He said he regretted not taking the company job because he had no retirement or insurance as an O/O.
He owned his first rig, a dump truck, while he was in high school. He put in over 45 years as a successful O/O but died of a heart attack before he retired.

I remember some smaller carriers that were bought for operating rights, Great Lakes Express was one, but as I remember that one & the others were not organized carriers so none of the employees came with seniority. ABF had a truckload division at one time called SCAT. It was not profitable so it was closed. The owner operators were given an opportunity to be hired as company LTL drivers. A friend who owned his own rig decided to continue as an O/O. He said he regretted not taking the company job because he had no retirement or insurance as an O/O.
He owned his first rig, a dump truck, while he was in high school. He put in over 45 years as a successful O/O but died of a heart attack before he retired.
I think most of Great Southern and Ryder's lease operators retained their seniority.

TSC, Hoover, Harris, R, C. Transcon, that I recall.
Not sure about Alterman's dovetailing in Fla.
This also jogs my memory about other Florida carriers.Mercury transportation.(Ship by the boy with the bare behind) Super Transport.I believe this one was run by the Schusters after they sold out to Pilot.

Altermans pretty much did truck load.Didn’t they survive after all for a while.I was not aware that altermans did LTL ,probably just in Florida
Not really sure, Ryder bought some authority in some parts of Fla from them.
I don't recall any of their drivers dovetailing.
They were not union.

Altermans pretty much did truck load.Didn’t they survive after all for a while.I was not aware that altermans did LTL ,probably just in Florida
Didn't Alterman haul flowers from Florida to metro NYC at one time or am I hinking of someone else?