TForce | Horse and pony show coming to the terminals

Gater

TB Regular
Credits
I have been told that upper management will start visiting the terminals in weeks to come. What questions should we be asking? What should we mention?

I have been told that upper management will start visiting the terminals in weeks to come. What questions should we be asking? What should we mention?
The RDO gave a presentation at our barn . TFI is making management Vist terminals quarterly like Overnite used to . They allow you to ask any questions. It was actually some good information.

I don't ask anything.

They are there to tell you whats what and get back to work. Its late already. I have witnessed enough of these which means something is coming that is not popular or they are in the way of actual work on the entire property. So we stay quiet, endure their 10 minute rah rah speech and stay silent on any questions? The sooner they are gone the easier it is to get back to what we are doing.

In other words they don't matter and are in the way every time they do that.

I have a history of crossing swords with the bosses. From time to time I'll make war on them over something or other. Find myself eliminated entirely. Its their way or the highway.

I don't ask anything.

They are there to tell you whats what and get back to work. Its late already. I have witnessed enough of these which means something is coming that is not popular or they are in the way of actual work on the entire property. So we stay quiet, endure their 10 minute rah rah speech and stay silent on any questions? The sooner they are gone the easier it is to get back to what we are doing.

I have a history of crossing swords with the bosses. From time to time I'll make war on them over something or other. Find myself eliminated entirely. Its their way or the highway.
It was a little different when Jim Ryder owned the company.
He called in advance, said any driver who wants to attend the meeting can and will be allowed off.
If freight has to sit, so be it, I want to hear from my people.
If management was in the wrong or not doing their jobs, heads rolled.
We moved into a new terminal in 55, within 6 mos, he knew every dockworker's name and most of their kid's names

I don't ask anything.

you are a smart man with common sense

He called in advance, said any driver who wants to attend the meeting can and will be allowed off.
We moved into a new terminal in 55, within 6 mos, he knew every dockworker's name and most of their kid's names
Now there is a bossman I could become loyal to.

We don't have too many of those in my lifetime. I've only had three total who was anywhere near as good as described here. The rest of them were just screamers who did not value anyone. The only time they change tune and almost grovel is when bigger bosses show up. The puppy dog slobbering exhibition makes me sick.

There was one boss who did not get along with me personally or professionally. I made a decision to tell him off in front of others and went home at 6 am. That was the end of that episode.

he exploded. I need the job, how dare I quit etc etc etc. I went off on him. The law was called and they cooled things down thankfully. To this day I make sure I do not do any business with that outfit. They finally imploded some years back. If I did not have a wife back home patiently waiting on me I would have decked that man. It was probably one of the most important moments as the body started to escape the self control considering the totality of the whole absurd problem. Not doing that again.

When Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express in 1995, the savior of Roadway Express was the CEO Michael Wickham. He stressed working together between management and the Teamster work force. Michael Wickham started a program of Teamsters working without management supervision. At Roadway ABQ. we Teamsters worked the inbound shift and outbound shift without any management
supervision. Some Teamsters didn't like this, but most of us were all for it.

I have always found that when upper management held break room meetings, and you asked civil questions, in a civil manner, you received a civil answer. On the other side, it was usually the ones who didn’t do their assignments, bitched constantly, brought deliveries back, ran to the union to protect them, when in reality, they were doing something against company policy, that asked bonehead questions, exposing the fact they didn’t really understand how the operation worked. When people take a negative attitude to a meeting, they usually leave with one, no matter what is said or discussed.

I have always found that when upper management held break room meetings, and you asked civil questions, in a civil manner, you received a civil answer. On the other side, it was usually the ones who didn’t do their assignments, bitched constantly, brought deliveries back, ran to the union to protect them, when in reality, they were doing something against company policy, that asked bonehead questions, exposing the fact they didn’t really understand how the operation worked. When people take a negative attitude to a meeting, they usually leave with one, no matter what is said or discussed.
We had a driver who complained about fog lights at every meeting.
If I heard it once I heard it a dozen times, we can't drive without fog lights.
He finally bumped into the city then carried his own fog light on a C clamp attached to the bumper.

Jim Ryder was a guy that started out driving a truck on construction jobs. Over time, he built up a great company. If you look at any of the LTL's where the workers respected the boss, more than likely you would find that the upper management were people that started out doing the grunt work. They understood and took care of the folks working for them. Ryder, Carolina, and Holland are examples of this. When things go sideways is when the management start being pencil pushers who think that they can demand respect. Unfortunately, that is pretty much the state of the trucking industry today.

Jim Ryder was a guy that started out driving a truck on construction jobs. Over time, he built up a great company. If you look at any of the LTL's where the workers respected the boss, more than likely you would find that the upper management were people that started out doing the grunt work. They understood and took care of the folks working for them. Ryder, Carolina, and Holland are examples of this. When things go sideways is when the management start being pencil pushers who think that they can demand respect. Unfortunately, that is pretty much the state of the trucking industry today.
I don't think there was a better trucking job when Ryder owned the company.
His brother Ralph worked in the Charlotte shop and was just one of the guys,
he always carried his share of the load.
You would never know his brother owned the company.
As for Carolina, Mr. Beam must have been such a guy, you seldom heard their drivers complain and gripe about their job.

We had a driver who complained about fog lights at every meeting.
If I heard it once I heard it a dozen times, we can't drive without fog lights.
He finally bumped into the city then carried his own fog light on a C clamp attached to the bumper.
I forgot yesterday. It probably improved visibility,15%, too?