How ‘Polio Paul’ has survived living inside an iron lung for 70 years

Docker

"Just the facts, ma'am"
Credits
A man dubbed “Polio Paul” has lived inside a 600-pound iron lung for seven decades, reportedly refusing to upgrade to a modern machine. Paul Alexander, 77, contracted polio in 1952 when he was 6 years old. In March, Guinness World Records declared him the longest iron lung patient ever. He has faced many challenges since he was born in 1946.

Just last year, Alexander was “taken advantage of by people who were supposed to care for his best interests,” with a fundraiser collecting $132,000 for him. In 1952, he endured the worst polio outbreak in US history with almost 58,000 cases — mostly children — reported. He has relied on the neck-to-toe ventilator to survive ever since.
https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/how-polio-paul-survived-living-in-an-iron-lung-for-70-years/

My younger brother had polio. He is still walking with the help of a cane, He refuses to give up. I read a while back that some iron lungs were put back in service during the covid outbreak & they saved some lives. As I remember, a doctor who had studied polio remembered some iron lungs were in storage & tried them on critically ill patients.
Sorry to hear about your brother... I can only imagine how hard it would be to remain optimistic and to keep yourself from falling into a state of depression. I really don't know if I could handle that very well.

Best wishes for your brother!!!

Sorry to hear about your brother... I can only imagine how hard it would be to remain optimistic and to keep yourself from falling into a state of depression. I really don't know if I could handle that very well.

Best wishes for your brother!!!
He is 74 & has always defied the odds. We grew up on a farm & he always did what he could do. He never was one for self pity.