SAIA | How are city run start times established and when does overtime start ?

Wanting to work M-F. Just curious
Overtime starts after 45 but if you have a paid holiday in the mix or you use a personal day then you don’t get the OT. You must actually work 45 to get OT. Monday through Friday is almost a certainty. Start times are a joke. Let the others explain how they work. I’ve got corn to spread and hogs to trap.

Last edited:
Start times are a function of the terminal managers attitude,mood, level of anxiety, how often he/she attends therapy sessions, how much his/her butt gets kissed and by whom, etc... really that is the best answer. All over the map

If you would like to know all you have to do is see who is the tm's a##! Then ask the ones who don't and see what you get for a answer. Most likely you will be cut and never see 45 hours. I would bet money you won't start till around noon and work till 8 you'll be lucky to get 40 hours. But who knows we are so desperate they now take anyone with a pulse !

I would bet money you won't start till around noon and work till 8 you'll be lucky to get 40 hours.
True at most of the smaller terminals but not at the big ones. Way too many swaps to cover late and OT isn’t even a consideration. If they have swaps you will work up to 55 to 60. The new guys will work past midnight if need be. At one point Garland would do 80-90 swaps a day. Absolutely the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen. Especially when over half the trailers aren’t even half full. A total waste of man hours. In my day that was totally unacceptable. Just poor planning and the lack of execution. In all fairness to dispatch it wasn’t all their fault. Sales just didn’t have accountability and wouldn’t cut some of the unprofitable business that didn’t fill the trailers. Fill the trailers or no swap. Period. And cut some of the accounts that have 12-16 feet skids that you can’t stack on. Some failed freight 101.

Last edited:
Let me add this. When a guy runs his ass off all day and knows he has a swap to do when he gets in he’s going to take his time. He’s going to drag his ass until all of them are assigned. See, it isn’t about money for many. It’s about getting home to your family. Your real family. Not the SAIA family. SAIA wants you to think that you are their family so you will go that extra mile. Call me cynical but you are an expendable asset that will be dismissed without a second thought. Know your place guys. Look out for yourself because this company will stab you in the back. Real family doesn’t do that. I know mine doesn’t. My children I stand by. Right or wrong.

Let me add this. When a guy runs his ass off all day and knows he has a swap to do when he gets in he’s going to take his time. He’s going to drag his ass until all of them are assigned. See, it isn’t about money for many. It’s about getting home to your family. Your real family. Not the SAIA family. SAIA wants you to think that you are their family so you will go that extra mile. Call me cynical but you are an expendable asset that will be dismissed without a second thought. Know your place guys. Look out for yourself because this company will stab you in the back. Real family doesn’t do that. I know mine doesn’t. My children I stand by. Right or wrong.
Let’s talk about the other end of the spectrum. The guys that hose the company by stretching out swaps. By simply riding the clock. Stealing time. It’s out of control with no accountability. The numbers are good so I suppose that’s why management just looks the other. Many guys depend on the OT. And this company has no problem giving it out at certain terminals. They could eliminate much of it if they wanted to. Many companies allow OT to gauge staffing levels. But this ::shit:: is totally out of control and management has no interest in figuring it out.