FedEx Freight | How Did We Get To This Point?!

s pruitt

Movin on
Credits
Been with FedEx about 10 years now and can't believe what we've become. Half baked managers who have no business running a terminal let alone being in the trucking industry at all. No seniority whatsoever, favorites played to every worker who is low production and willing to either go home after dock hours or not come to work at all. Defiantly not the company I originally signed on with. pretty sad that a really god company has fell to this point.

This happens to all companies when they quit moving the existing work force with experience up to management. The college mentality took over about 20 years ago. Experience or not you have a education and the company may even get a government kickback to hire them.
Also most of the younger management doesn't have the same work ethic attitude the older generation has. They move from job to job or move up quickly as in fedex before there even proficient in the job there doing. Most will not make a business decision to help production because if there wrong its a mark against them. So problems usually go unsolved.
Welcome to the new corporate world

This happens to all companies when they quit moving the existing work force with experience up to management. The college mentality took over about 20 years ago. Experience or not you have a education and the company may even get a government kickback to hire them.
Also most of the younger management doesn't have the same work ethic attitude the older generation has. They move from job to job or move up quickly as in fedex before there even proficient in the job there doing. Most will not make a business decision to help production because if there wrong its a mark against them. So problems usually go unsolved.
Welcome to the new corporate world
I agree with most but some of the blame has to fall onto the drivers as well, it’s not ALL management.
Most of today’s generation of drivers aren't half of what the old timers used to be!! They have to be coddled and hugged and how dare you raise your tone with one of them. Did you not read in the Bluetooth thread how Swamp described to George management should talk/treat employees?? I bout threw up in my mouth when I read it!! :9529:

Welcome to the new generation of drivers!!
(Kinda explains why they want autonomous trucks!!)

people want to be coddled.

let’s talk about the last PENDING SNOW DAY. Over 60% of the workforce called out and it barely dusted the ground. People calling out HOURS after it quit “dusting”. Road were clean.

we were behind for over a WEEK.

Let’s think back 15 years ago. Workers worked. Today, employees take ADVANTAGE of policies to their favor.

Last edited:
Or Let’s talk FMLA

Workers getting FMLA for the biggest BS reasons. It amazes me what you can get away with.

your vacation during the holiday season got denied due to low seniority? Agh, doesn’t matter I’ll FMLA every day.

I’ll make one more point and I’ll get off my soapbox.

The same employees who take advantage of my above scenarios are the same employees who complain about using their cell phone for two minutes to call dispatch.

let’s talk about the last PENDING SNOW DAY. Over 60% of the workforce called out and it barely dusted the ground. People calling out HOURS after it quit “dusting”. Road were clean.

Let’s think back 15 years ago. Workers worked. Today, employees take ADVANTAGE of policies to their favor.
Agree , today we send out 2 runs to do what 1 run contained in
the past. Now the fools just don't get the freight off so dispatch
tells them to ''mark it as needs appointment'' . The ::shit:: is bulldozed
to the nose for pick ups and the freight turns to trash after the
customers and dock hands rehandle it and drive it down the walls.
by Friday things are screwed and your TM is in his office with the
door closed , then , goes for coffee and is gone for the weekend.
Things are not what they were just look at the mess Ground/Home
Delivery has become , the drivers can't read ''back door del'' on the
labels even. AF/Viking was not perfect but we worked hard not returning
freight or missing pick ups.

Workers worked when they didn’t have to worry about having the smallest accident and losing their job. Back when Fedex said u had to “make an attempt” in snow before you could say it was unsafe, a driver got stuck on the hill leaving our yard. The truck slid on him and broke off the ferrying. That was his last time driving for Fedex. He had some other incidents that factored into his disqualification, but he argued he couldn’t make it up the hill, was forced to and lost his job. And just to clarify, we were trying to get out before the snow hit, but it started faster than predicted.

Workers worked when they didn’t have to worry about having the smallest accident and losing their job. Back when Fedex said u had to “make an attempt” in snow before you could say it was unsafe, a driver got stuck on the hill leaving our yard. The truck slid on him and broke off the ferrying. That was his last time driving for Fedex. He had some other incidents that factored into his disqualification, but he argued he couldn’t make it up the hill, was forced to and lost his job. And just to clarify, we were trying to get out before the snow hit, but it started faster than predicted.
You think I am only speaking to drivers. I am not.

office employees call out.
Dockworkers call out.
Supervisors call out.

not even snow on the roads but they are calling out. They saw a snow flake on their car so they took a photo so they can show HR, and they get away with it.

Lawyers and job risk and distracted
Or Let’s talk FMLA

Workers getting FMLA for the biggest BS reasons. It amazes me what you can get away with.

your vacation during the holiday season got denied due to low seniority? Agh, doesn’t matter I’ll FMLA every day.
Fmla was created because companies work with minimum staffing and getting off is a impossible task. Especially for a day Linehaul driver.

Not to long ago truckers in a snow storm would run staggered in the lanes and be respectful of each other , now we have truckers like dayton that hammer down in a snowstorm , pass ya 25% into your lane and push you onto the rumble strip , does the dispatcher we call in sick to know that , probably not

You think I am only speaking to drivers. I am not.

office employees call out.
Dockworkers call out.
Supervisors call out.

not even snow on the roads but they are calling out. They saw a snow flake on their car so they took a photo so they can show HR, and they get away with it.

There's an attendance policy. If people choose to call out, regardless of the reason, there's protocol for it.

As for failing behind, its the norm in the winter. Your center isn't in a bubble . If the centers around it get disrupted by the weather, you're falling behind regardless of how many people show up that day.

I don't know what happened to FedEx as a whole and I haven't been here that long, but i can tell you the issues at my center.

The first issue is promoting from within. I can see the upside to that, but the reality is that somebody gets into a position of power and all they do is help their friends. I've seen numerous things covered up (tardies, forklift negligence and even people having sex in trailers in the yard) and while everyone knows about it nothing gets done until something really bad happens and it gets back to corporate.

The second issue is quantity over quality. "We don't ship air" and bills per hour are foolishness. What's the point in moving 10 bills per hour if you're destroying half of them. Forcing in a handling unit to get your trailer up to 13 or 14k at the expense of the freight behind it is stupid. Especially when there are 20 other LTL companies around you that charge less.

The third issue is nobody cares, it's business as usual. If only one person reports an issue nothing will be done . Instead of complaining to each other, reach out to ethics and go over the leadership in your center. We also have to be United. You care about my issues and I'll care about yours, otherwise we're fighting losing battles here. This is when Union talk start and FedEx says "hey, relax. We can work this out let's talk."

Fourth, people feel entitled nowadays. I come across so many drivers that started last month and are mad they're not going to make what the number 10 city driver makes. Nobody understands that everybody starts at the bottom. So, they refuse to work or do things right. Because their dock buddy got promoted to supervisor, they get away with it.

The main issue is that centers run independently. You can write all the corporate mumbo jumbo you want and put it on the intranet and on posters, it doesn't mean anything. There has to be surprise visits from corporate and a real way for employees to have interactions with regional leadership.

Lawyers and job risk and distracted

Fmla was created because companies work with minimum staffing and getting off is a impossible task. Especially for a day Linehaul driver.

That is not why FMLA was created. FMLA is a way for people to take care of themselves or immediate family suffering from a long lasting illness with reoccurring symptoms. People can take time off as needed with the proper documentation without being penalized for attendance. It has nothing to do with staffing or linehaul drivers.

That is not why FMLA was created. FMLA is a way for people to take care of themselves or immediate family suffering from a long lasting illness with reoccurring symptoms. People can take time off as needed with the proper documentation without being penalized for attendance. It has nothing to do with staffing or linehaul drivers.
the OP said the
Seems you only read my response and not the original post that I replying to. Im aware what and why FMLA is there. The OP said its BS we take it. It was created from the Clinton years. Only thing they did do right. But Ive been here many many years and getting off to take care of business is a impossible task. Even if the business is for a chronic ill spouse. So know your forced into the FMLA program. But the issue is if someone is off on long term disability they stay on the roster for people being off, even though there not returning for months. So a person who doesn’t have FMLA cant get off without forcing it . Thats were tension begins. And FMLA isnt just for long term illness , Fedex or any other company and has made one go get FMLA for just going to the hospital for two days or get two points. I have had to do that. Never missed a day in twenty six years and had a mishap and the boss doesn’t say welcome back...he said here you got two points sign this

Last edited: