FedEx Freight | How Did We Get To This Point?!

FedEx safety department is to blame in my opinion for a lot of what’s happening with drivers checking out and stopping themselves from going above and beyond.

when I started working here as a city driver I would do everything and anything to get the job done. Anything... go into a residential area with a van, break stuff down..you name it I did it.

of course one year I had 2 small incidents one of which I didn’t think was my fault. when the Volvo automatics started showing up around 3-4 years ago, you know that as your backing In to a dock they tend to do that thing where it just goes from not catching gear to just becoming a jet engine and you end up slamming into a dock. One day I’m backing into a place with those overhead doors with just enough clearance for a 13’6” and of course the truck does what I just described I hit the brake to stop myself from slamming into the dock but my trailer bounced a bit and it hit the roll up overhead door. When safety called me gave me a preventable. I asked him what could I have possibly done different and his reply to me was “just call dispatch and tell him you can’t do that delivery”

That was my wake up moment. Since that point where I was 1 incident away from a driver review/suspension I knew they could care less how hard I worked.

Last edited:
FedEx safety department is to blame in my opinion for a lot of what’s happening with drivers checking out and stopping themselves from going above and beyond.

when I started working here as a city driver I would do everything and anything to get the job done. Anything... go into a residential area with a van, break stuff down..you name it I did it.

of course one year I had 2 small incidents one of which I didn’t think was my fault. when the Volvo automatics started showing up around 3-4 years ago, you know that as your backing In to a dock they tend to do that thing where it just goes from not catching gear to just becoming a jet engine and you end up slamming into a dock. One day I’m backing into a place with those overhead doors with just enough clearance for a 13’6” and of course the truck does what I just described I hit the brake to stop myself from slamming into the dock but my trailer bounced a bit and it hit the roll up overhead door. When safety called me gave me a preventable. I asked him what could I have possibly done different and his reply to me was “just call dispatch and tell him you can’t do that delivery”

That was my wake up moment. Since that point where I was 1 incident away from a driver review/suspension I knew they could care less how hard I worked.
I agree most of the managers we have now are frauds when it comes to safety above all. Yard time p&d hours and snap shot consumes their day. I always protect MY CDL first. Your not alone I have the same attitude these days.

Last edited:

This is probably the post of the year! I wish I could like it twice.our "safety" guy shows up only when he has to because he has to fulfill his yearly obligation. Or to eat after our sacrifice and hard work have earned a cookout. I'm not even close to the best at pre and post trip, but I at least check the fluid levels look underneath for leaks check lights and thump tires. Over half here couldn't tell you if there was a rear door. Yes these automatics really suck in the city. How else would we get all these fat broken down bus drivers to grace us with their presence though?

This is probably the post of the year! I wish I could like it twice.our "safety" guy shows up only when he has to because he has to fulfill his yearly obligation. Or to eat after our sacrifice and hard work have earned a cookout. I'm not even close to the best at pre and post trip, but I at least check the fluid levels look underneath for leaks check lights and thump tires. Over half here couldn't tell you if there was a rear door. Yes these automatics really suck in the city. How else would we get all these fat broken down bus drivers to grace us with their presence though?
I agree most of the managers we have now are frauds when it comes to safety above all. Yard time p&d hours and snap shot consumes their day. I always protect MY CDL first. Your not alone I have the same attitude these days.

I RARELY post or bother getting into a back and forth with guys on social media. I see posts all the time with these “this new generation of drivers are little girl” posts and it annoys me to hell.

I’m going to protect my CDL and my job.
If they are going to treat me like a child and “punish” me like a child for stupid ::shit:: I’m going to work like a scared “safety first” driver as well.

I have seen many drivers get let go because of “safety” and then see other guys get off squeaky clean when they drop a trailer in the yard and not even have to write up an accident report or even get a safety call.

I put a 3” crack on a side fairing for trying to make a delivery with a van on at a tight customer. That was my second preventable the same year as my previous post. A crack that to this day is still on the truck. No one cared about, nothing had to be fixed.

so am I going to be a little girl and call out because of snow? Or not do a delivery because it’s might be a little tight? Damn right I will.

the people that say that’s a bad mentality to have at work..go talk to safety about it.

I put a 3” crack on a side fairing for trying to make a delivery with a van on at a tight customer. That was my second preventable the same year as my previous post. A crack that to this day is still on the truck. No one cared about, nothing had to be fixed.
I used to report those a long time ago. I learned my lesson. Now, unless someone else saw me do it and can prove otherwise or its too big to hide, it was like that when I got here.

I noticed all they removed the “Safety Above All” decorations from the lift gate trailers. Doesn’t really look right when the trailer is packed to the door with the first stop being a lift gate delivery.

you must be in the CLT region. just sayin

And if that manager is making all the right productivity numbers what will they do?
Not a damn thing.
I would say "typically, such a manager is NOT making the numbers. But rather looking for places to lay blame as to why not".

Now then, such a manager can be educated to such a point where they go on to greatness. Not typical, but it happens.

:smilie93c peelout:

Today OM asked us city drivers at my hub if anyone is interested in taking CC up to 1 month. Same thing with full time dockwers and part timers were told to stay home until further notice. Meanwhile 2 DDI's are training 2 more driver apprentices this week.... makes sense:stupid::hilarious:

Today OM asked us city drivers at my hub if anyone is interested in taking CC up to 1 month. Same thing with full time dockwers and part timers were told to stay home until further notice. Meanwhile 2 DDI's are training 2 more driver apprentices this week.... makes sense:stupid::hilarious:

I've been asking those questions for months. I stopped asking questions and stopped trying to figure it out. At this point I lay low, scan a bill every 20 minutes, clock out to lunch on the sneak so I can get as close to my 8 as possible and avoid arguing with people.

I can take a day off here and there, but they should be drug tested if they think any of us can afford to take a month off with the hours we've been getting.

1 vac day a week , take off the month , you're good:wee::couch:

come on it's just 4 days of vac , a month off !:guinesssmilie:

that's it I'm in:guiness:

1 month seems extreme. We are just doing a week CC. This appears to be a deeper slow down this year as we used to do just a day CC.

I've been asking those questions for months. I stopped asking questions and stopped trying to figure it out. At this point I lay low, scan a bill every 20 minutes, clock out to lunch on the sneak so I can get as close to my 8 as possible and avoid arguing with people.

I can take a day off here and there, but they should be drug tested if they think any of us can afford to take a month off with the hours we've been getting.

They don't give a crap about their people. My OM only cares about stops per hour, how many returns we bring back and the most important is YARD TIME.

They don't give a crap about their people. My OM only cares about stops per hour, how many returns we bring back and the most important is YARD TIME.

They don't give a crap about any of that stuff. They just don't want to deal with phonecalls or emails from corporate so they press the issue. If not for those phonecalls or emails, we'd never see or hear them.