XPO | How do OD drivers avoid the dock?

How is it that we spend 5+ hours on the FAC dock every night but OD drivers are able to do meet and turns/avoid the dock? Is it OD's business model that allows for that or do they just run a way more efficient dock operation with higher staff levels? Seems like our freight volumes are similar yet I've never heard of OD linehaul being forced to work the dock? I know I see a fair amount of OD sleepers and I've heard they're a 7 day operation, but does that really make enough difference?

I personally don't mind some dock work, but when they're keeping us at the FAC until 0600 it gets a bit ridiculous.
Lmfao I never touch the dock. I’m a driver not a dock worker.

OD part time dock workers make more per hour, from what I see, than XPO. They also don’t operate a nightly demo derby on their docks from 10 pm to 5 am. XPO does a lot of overnight point delivery,which fuels the fire of confusion, and chaos on the dock.

OD part time dock workers make more per hour, from what I see, than XPO. They also don’t operate a nightly demo derby on their docks from 10 pm to 5 am. XPO does a lot of overnight point delivery,which fuels the fire of confusion, and chaos on the dock.
They also have one thing XPO doesn't.......Trailers just look at there Carlisle Pa yard. Drive past it alot

By the number: Per their web sites....OD has less service centers but more equipment?????Go figure

OD
http://www.odfl.com/Landings/companyInfoLanding.faces
"OD Currently operates 247 service centers with approximately 41,000 tractor and trailers."

XPO
"~7,900 tractors, ~25,000 trailers and approximately 12,000 professional drivers, operating out of 291 service centers."

They also have one thing XPO doesn't.......Trailers just look at there Carlisle Pa yard. Drive past it alot
My buddy at Saia says the same thing. Plenty of equipment. He drives a new truck and makes more then me. He drives more miles. That’s the biggest difference. I wish I was a little younger, or older. Change or retire.

Do they get paid to wait?
We do. It doesn’t happen often. We have to give up a half hour before pay. We do our own yard work too. City p&d work dock and we have some full time dock workers that dock is all they do, or if you’re a road driver with a combo run you have to work freight. Weekends are optional at small terminals, hubs are staggered start days 5 day weeks. Start on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday then work 5 days.

In Blue Diamond and other Transfer Docks where freight comes off trucks into the tray deck in the middle and then resorted into other trucks on the far side going to specific customers. It was all manual labor.

In the 60's before Pallets and containers, they simply took on high school kids To throw the boxes after school every day. Some of the kids thrived on it and were ready made hires for drivers when they got old enough. Especially if the drivers, company staff etc imprinted them like a pet or a bird of prey or whatever prior to the day to hire them.

As soon you eliminated that cheap labor and started limiting people (Cutting Costs) you see the freight pile up.

Maybe one day they can copy the new Walmart Model being introduced in smaller DC's as I type this. No more minimum wage unskilled box throwers. All gone. Just put a box here there or that one and the computer codes it and automatically sends to to wherever. No one needs to worry about the details anymore. Box gone. Soon truck empty gone. Same with loaded ones.

No problems.