How do some people get a CDL? This is why you do a tug-test. just wow

TruckMafk

TB Lurker
Credits
Who actually doesnt do a tug test. I friggin check my jaws to see if they're locked right after the tug-test.
This dumb-ass driver on the other hand...
:wtflol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think for a minute that the "tugging" method is foolproof. I have witnessed several trailers being dropped after the driver "tugged" on it. Also, I know of a case where the driver "tugged" and then got under the trailer and looked at the "jaws", pulled away from the dock and "BANG", trailer hit the ground, it can happen. Years ago, Overnite had a MB Mack in Waynesboro that the 5th wheel would stay hooked for several weeks and then the thing would come unhooked without any apparent reason. So, don' t call the driver "dumb", it could happen to you.

Every trailer I have picked up in 25 years I tugged and not one dropped on me...

then you "got lucky", because the jaws can fail. i once was going to drive a truck when i was a newbie, for an o/o. his 5th wheel was bad, really bad. a whole lot of play in it, and i quit that same day. he paid crap, had crap equipment, so it can happen. i didn't need nor want any problems while i was on the road.

at an LTL company i had for worked for, we had o/o's.

this one guy was very finicky on his maintenance.

one night, he hooked up to a company trailer. i personally saw him "tug test", (and i had told my TM that he did, when he was questioned about it.)

got about 3 miles from the terminal...his trailer fell off, around the Pawtucket "S" curves. he had to buy a new 5th wheel.

so it can happen, no matter how much you do the "tug test".

Every trailer I have picked up in 25 years I tugged and not one dropped on me...

Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen. Can a tire go flat some time after you've "knocked" it? Can an engine blow some time after you've checked the oil level? Anything mechanical can fail at some time, nothing manufactured is 100% sure of never failing. We check as much as possible to make the failure probability as low as we can.

Sure accidents happen, faulty equipment etc...I had a Freightliner recalled because of faulty 5th wheels...I have seen drivers hook up without tugging and pull away just to see the trailer drop to the ground...

Sure accidents happen, faulty equipment etc...I had a Freightliner recalled because of faulty 5th wheels...I have seen drivers hook up without tugging and pull away just to see the trailer drop to the ground...

The point you seem to miss is that every incident has some probability of happening, that's nature. By checking all that you can, you reduce the chance of it happening. Getting a flu shot doesn't guarantee that you won't get the flu, but it does reduce the chances of you getting it. Same with checking the pin - no guarantees. Something might fail and break the connection, but at least you reduced the probability of that happening.

If I followed the video right. After the trailer un-latched from the 5th wheel and he was backing/banging into the kingpin the jaws on 5th wheel were in the locked position until he opened them. I'm thinking he high hooked it some in the beginning. Surprised he didn't tear his air lines and pigtail.

How'd we jump to those window washers on the trade center in this tug test thread?
I know I would never want to wash another window higher than I could reach after what those guys had happen today.

Any how now back to this thread topic.

All my years in trucking I believe anyone worth their salt.
Will always check under the rear of the tractor to see if the jaws are closed after they drop a trailer with a tug test that didn't lock.
Depending on the weight of the load,after cranking the landing legs enough to get back under it.
Believe me the tug test,& a visual will be the routine when hooking another trailers.

How'd we jump to those window washers on the trade center in this tug test thread?
I know I would never want to wash another window higher than I could reach after what those guys had happen today.

Any how now back to this thread topic.

All my years in trucking I believe anyone worth their salt.
Will always check under the rear of the tractor to see if the jaws are closed after they drop a trailer with a tug test that didn't lock.
Depending on the weight of the load,after cranking the landing legs enough to get back under it.
Believe me the tug test,& a visual will be the routine when hooking another trailers.

I've always gone underneath and done a visual of the jaws and I still have the bumps on my head to prove it. After finding unlatched jaws on the ready line more than a few times you can bet I do it every time.

If I followed the video right. After the trailer un-latched from the 5th wheel and he was backing/banging into the kingpin the jaws on 5th wheel were in the locked position until he opened them. I'm thinking he high hooked it some in the beginning. Surprised he didn't tear his air lines and pigtail.

Gold star and a free bag of popcorn for you Fire!!!!!Soon as you hear him say the jaws were closed? High hook? No brainer. The bozo who made the video wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. I would hope his language does not include the "F" word in every sentence like it was on his movie!!!!

You know Big R Guy,the first sign of ignorance when someone begins speaking, is their inability to express themselves in plan english,void of off color language.

Gold star and a free bag of popcorn for you Fire!!!!!Soon as you hear him say the jaws were closed? High hook? No brainer. The bozo who made the video wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed either. I would hope his language does not include the "F" word in every sentence like it was on his movie!!!!

you know you swear too much when you offend truckers

He high hooked it period!!!!!

Yeah.... Anything could happen, but with a tug test and a visual check, the odds of dropping one are so low. I've been tugging and checking visually for years now with no issues. I also like for the fifth wheel to have to raise the trailer at least an inch. That's my protocol and I've never had a problem

Yeah.... Anything could happen, but with a tug test and a visual check, the odds of dropping one are so low. I've been tugging and checking visually for years now with no issues. I also like for the fifth wheel to have to raise the trailer at least an inch. That's my protocol and I've never had a problem

I'm with you on that one. but he didnt high hook it because even when he was trying to connect again, the jaws still werent grabbing then the goof just drives away with a loose trailer. now thts what i call a friggin goof!

I'm with you on that one. but he didnt high hook it because even when he was trying to connect again, the jaws still werent grabbing then the goof just drives away with a loose trailer. now thts what i call a friggin goof!

Careful who you call an f in goof!!!!

Please take care of how you all express yourselves,as we like to keep this message board family friendly.
We never know when Dad could be reading posts,& posting with junior,or even his little daughter sitting on his knee.

Thanks for your understanding.