XPO | How do you control claims while hiring inexperience?

1tdriver

Do the fine folks at the helm of Conway freight or for that matter the Board of Directors really believe that hiring untrained and inexperienced people is going to lower costs? On the contrary, the facts speak volumes about the realities of this business model. Claims are at an all time company high and so is finger pointing! Let's understand this, if 5600 new employees come on board with little to know experience, then it's elementary. DAMAGES......ACCIDENTS....and flat out carelessness is the result. Let's get back to basics and value your proffessional seasoned employees and return the motivations (i.e. pension, full 401K match and full I.C.P.) that made this establishment the successful and very profitable company it once was. We use to set the standard and now we chase mom and pop companies such as R + L and Old Dominion with our 62 MPH mentallity. Inept handhelds that have significantly slowed productivity, and concerned our focus on everything but the customer and the employees. Trying to train kids who work our docks and have an incredibly cavalier attitude about our customers freight is not the answer. Just food for thought. Please take control of this company's destiny, we're all counting on that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that we have the hand helds FOS do not need to be in the dock stand for long amounts of time. There is no more t-conning to do so they should be waliking the dock and making people fix the messed up trailers. I mean make whoever started the crap loading and make them rework the trailer weather new worker or veteran, let's face some of the vets are just as guilty. These kids we have hired stay just long enough to get a couple paychecks and thay are out and don't give a crap about our company or customers. If we are going to have dock workers put an attractive enough incentive to get mature people who want longivity in the job. If we need to pay 14-15 dollars an our so be it. Then as 1t said watch the claims drop. I for one am tired of cleaning up other peoples mistakes and am concerned about customers leaving and big lay offs again. I am safe but we have spent so much on hiring and training the new drivers it would just be a big waste of money. Remember everyone do what you can do to protect freight and save our jobs and customers. Sorry so long but I want to keep providing for my family. Be safe and Happy Labor Day.

If you treat people as if they don't matter, then they soon start to believe what they do or don't do doesn't matter.

THAT'S HITTING THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! Let us all change this company and head in the right direction with the right leadership and show our workforce that they are valued. No more smoke and mirrors! Does it really matter that there hasn't been a pay increase for 2 years? Of course it does and so the "It's just a job" mentality continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the above are absolutely correct. I have tried to bring these points to the powers that be locally, only to be told that this is not the reason. Well then I wish they would tell what the reason is. It's pretty simple to us drivers. The hiring of supplementals, seems to coincide with the higher then normal damage claims. One would think that if you touch a flame and it burns, you would understand that it is the flame that caused the problem. Why is this so hard for them to figure out. Sometimes I wonder if having a degree means you loose common sense. Or perhaps I am not smart enough to think as deeply as they can, either way, I wish they would figure it out. It is embarrassing delivering all this damaged freight.

It's not that they can't figure it out. You have to remember, this is a company that is ran on fiction, like a book. It looks good on paper so thats the way they want it to run. Reality and Con-Way don't go together. Yes, they want to be like O.D. but the problem is that they also want to haul the garbage and junk freight that O.D. won't. You can walk down the dock during the re-ship and look at all of the garbage freight and say alot of it is going to be a claim. Steel, long tubes, machines that are not crated........... it goes on forever.

Another major thing missing....accountability. I love the handhelds. I spent 6 hrs at SISCO one day and was asked WHY??? I replied that I had my act together, got accomplished what I could, sent messages every 15 minutes and got no replies. Had it documented that this is what I needed, who I talked with, etc. CYA

My question is why can't the "higher ups" see the same inefficiencies that everyone in the local operations see? I mean from bad dispatching, to incredibly poor cross dock performance, and less than quality loading practices. How ignorant can one be to ignore these problems?!

My question is why can't the "higher ups" see the same inefficiencies that everyone in the local operations see? I mean from bad dispatching, to incredibly poor cross dock performance, and less than quality loading practices. How ignorant can one be to ignore these problems?!

HOW ignorant can they be?!!! I have a bad feeling we haven't even came close to seeing how ignorant . They are in another world and totally out of touch with reality .

HOW ignorant can they be?!!! I have a bad feeling we haven't even came close to seeing how ignorant . They are in another world and totally out of touch with reality .

This is what really worries my co-workers and me. They really are in another world and it doesn't seem to be reality. Doesn't the B.O.D. understand shareholders are watching. After 15+ years as a dedicated employee I can speak from previous leadership models and the one running right now is well, let's just say seems "Out of Touch".

This is what really worries my co-workers and me. They really are in another world and it doesn't seem to be reality. Doesn't the B.O.D. understand shareholders are watching. After 15+ years as a dedicated employee I can speak from previous leadership models and the one running right now is well, let's just say seems "Out of Touch".

I tell Ya , this scares me to death. I have been here 22 years . I still have more than several years to go before I can retire but am too old to start all over . I hope with all my heart I am wrong but this bunch we have now just don't have a clue .

my old company hires pt dock for 10.50 an hour you think they care about the freight or the customers? the quality of loads are pretty crappy and there is no pride in their work. its pretty much a dead end job and those pt dock dont care about the quality.

We had our Monday morning meeting (Tuesday). Our sales rep insisted that things would get "back to normal" now that John was gone because he instituted "some really bad policies". I tried to explain that yes, he was the Prez, but he did nothing without the approval of Doug and the BOD. That just didn't compute within her realm of reality. Very few people will ship with us because we have gotten such a bad reputation. We were discussing "ICE" and one of the new hires (over 90 days) asked what that was. I don't intentionally damage things, and I don't know anyone at my barn that does. However, there are a lot of people out there that are frustrated with the cuts in wages and benefits and they will cut off their nose to spite their face.

"I tried to explain that yes, he was the Prez, but he did nothing without the approval of Doug and the BOD. That just didn't compute within her realm of reality."

This is what they are trained to do...........Act like they do not know what you are talking about hoping all along it does not screw up their planned little speech.
I used (USED!) to have a lot of fun picking apart the morning meetings....back when we had GOOD management locally. This particular scm was very good at taking jokes as well as sending them back toward us. He stuck to his programmed speech from above, but you could see the grin in the corners of his mouth. Times have changed and as Rat has said......they are going to blame everything on JL.

"I tried to explain that yes, he was the Prez, but he did nothing without the approval of Doug and the BOD. That just didn't compute within her realm of reality."

This is what they are trained to do...........Act like they do not know what you are talking about hoping all along it does not screw up their planned little speech.
I used (USED!) to have a lot of fun picking apart the morning meetings....back when we had GOOD management locally. This particular scm was very good at taking jokes as well as sending them back toward us. He stuck to his programmed speech from above, but you could see the grin in the corners of his mouth. Times have changed and as Rat has said......they are going to blame everything on JL.

When they took the Sales Reps out of the SCM's hands , it was a big mistake. WE have had customers call the Terminal asking how to get hold of the Sales Rep. When given the Rep's number one customer said that she had called the number over and over for several days but never got a answer. I have only seen our Sales Rep once THIS YEAR. When I asked the city drivers they say the same thing. The city drivers also says that the customers never sees her. The last time she was seen , she pulled into the lot with her kids in the car.

I don't think con-way has a lot of time left there by no means on top of the pile there just like all the rest of the trucking co now the way they run it now I would just as soon see them shut the doors 22years no more pride left

I don't think con-way has a lot of time left there by no means on top of the pile there just like all the rest of the trucking co now the way they run it now I would just as soon see them shut the doors 22years no more pride left

Huh? to add to this old thread you brought up. Claims are at an all time low. 1st quarter was .8% claims ratio. April was .4% ratio. Most companies are between 1 and 3%

i'm with ya on what you say. upper management as well as local management have taken away all my pride. one of my fellow workers put it best, " if the company wants to pretend to treat me right, then i'll pretend to work" sad to hear someone say that, even worse when the majority that hear that agree with it. conway is nothing special, just another trucking company!!!

i'm with ya on what you say. upper management as well as local management have taken away all my pride. one of my fellow workers put it best, " if the company wants to pretend to treat me right, then i'll pretend to work" sad to hear someone say that, even worse when the majority that hear that agree with it. conway is nothing special, just another trucking company!!!

They ALL are just another trucking company. Companies now being led by people with no industry experience. Just read about it in a book. The companys' decisions are made by watching stats that a computer spits out. On the dock you have supervisors who are hired not by experience but by how little they are willing to be paid and how willing they are to just say "yes sir". Supervisors used to come from off the dock or out of the trucks. That is what this whole industryt is today.

They ALL are just another trucking company. Companies now being led by people with no industry experience. Just read about it in a book. The companys' decisions are made by watching stats that a computer spits out. On the dock you have supervisors who are hired not by experience but by how little they are willing to be paid and how willing they are to just say "yes sir". Supervisors used to come from off the dock or out of the trucks. That is what this whole industryt is today.

I hate to do it, but I have to give credit, where credit is due. Slim66 is right on this. The industry is not even what it was 7 or 8 years ago. The days of being able to use common sense have completely disappeared. But, we can make some good money for ourselves.