FedEx Freight | How Does It Work At Your Terminal ?

Do Daytime bid drivers have to run nights if their bid is cancelled?

• Yes they have to be available for night

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No they get a pass

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Jeff

Looking for Trolls
Administrator
Super Administrator
Credits
When bid runs on daytime are cancelled and those driver(s) have no runs available for them on daytime are they required to go to the Extra Board by seniority and be available to run night time runs or do they get to protect their day bid and don't have to be forced out at night.

Vote in the poll then explain

When bid runs on daytime are cancelled and those driver(s) have no runs available for them on daytime are they required to go to the Extra Board by seniority and be available to run night time runs or do they get to protect their day bid and don't have to be forced out at night.

Vote in the poll then explain
I agree with CT, you’re “supposed” to go to the extra board by seniority and you have to be available for the PM call block. The “pass to protect your bid” is just a myth, no where in the policies does this exist...this argument was made while Dale Davis was still here and it failed. However, I will say in CLT they “try” not to use a daytime driver at night if necessary but as a driver, it’s your responsibility to be rested and available for work during all call blocks.

Disclaimer: I used the word “try” very loosely, if there’s work, you have the hours available, and they NEED you then you’re working

Last edited:
Seems to me it would be very rare for day-runs to cancel AND those same drivers be needed (forced) to fill in the bottom of the extra board. The reverse scenario seems more likely.

Could it happen? Certainly, and would suck on a Monday for obvious scheduling reasons. Weather related cancellations might be an exception to the likelihood of these scenarios. Might there be other reasons? Probably, but still not too likely. NOT an expert on this, but one will be along shortly to 'splain it...

:idunno:

Last edited:
I agree with CT, you’re “supposed” to go to the extra board by seniority and you have to be available for the PM call block. The “pass to protect your bid” is just a myth, no where in the policies does this exist...this argument was made while Dale Davis was still here and it failed. However, I will say in CLT they “try” not to use a daytime driver at night if necessary but as a driver, it’s your responsibility to be rested and available for work during all call blocks.

Disclaimer: I used the word “try” very loosely, if there’s work, you have the hours available, and they NEED you then you’re working
Wouldn't it be a cold night in hell?
trust me I’ve done my share night work been here 31yrs been running days for 11yrs
Wouldn't it be a cold night in hell?

Seems to me it would be very rare for day-runs to cancel AND those same drivers be needed (forced) to fill in the bottom of the extra board. The reverse scenario seems more likely.

Could it happen? Certainly, and would suck on a Monday for obvious scheduling reasons. Weather related cancellations might be an exception to the likelihood of these scenarios. Might there be other reasons? Probably, but still not too likely. NOT an expert on this, but one will be along shortly to 'splain it...

:idunno:
We have 10 AM runs the tenth only runs about 3 days a week. Dispatch tried making him run at night and he called safety and said “it wasn’t safe since he was use to an AM schedule, and needed to protect his bid.” Safety sided with the driver (I know I couldn’t believe it either) and now if he is canceled and doesn’t get to bump up to a better AM run he is off for the PM call block.

We have 10 AM runs the tenth only runs about 3 days a week. Dispatch tried making him run at night and he called safety and said “it wasn’t safe since he was use to an AM schedule, and needed to protect his bid.” Safety sided with the driver (I know I couldn’t believe it either) and now if he is canceled and doesn’t get to bump up to a better AM run he is off for the PM call block.
So he get to work nights and a local driver does his run during the day I’ve seen it and it’s bunch crap just saying

Your dispatcher was correct, there is NO policy that says “a driver can pass to protect his bid”, that is a myth. It’s his responsibility as a driver to be rested and available for work during ALL call blocks...no driver is hired to run AM only.

In the future, if this happens again any extra board driver that is senior to the AM bid driver that was forced out at night can file on the AM driver provided his AM bid run is more miles than the PM run the extra board driver was forced out on...and get paid, I’ve seen it happen.

You go to extra board by seniority. My yard has nine or ten extra board drivers so there’s a whole lot of people to pass work to. If all else fails, you could do what the sissies do when they get told to go over Donner in the snow.

Call safety and while sobbing profusely tell them you don’t feel comfortable putting on chains.

Safety will say there, there now, it’s ok, you don’t have to go if you don’t want to.

Unfucking believable.

You sleep all night and are ready to go to work in the morning. Your run is cancelled now you're expected to go back to bed and sleep all day so you can run that night. Does not sound logical.

You sleep all night and are ready to go to work in the morning. Your run is cancelled now you're expected to go back to bed and sleep all day so you can run that night. Does not sound logical.
But if you are on the extra board you do that every day (I don't but lots of xtra board do)

So he get to work nights and a local driver does his run during the day I’ve seen it and it’s bunch crap just saying
But what if the guy running his run actually has more seniority than him?

Have you ever noticed anything logical come out to Harrison Arkansas I haven’t