ODFL | How does your extra board work ?

First in first out for line in DEN. Works great and everyone gets some miles even when slow

Same in Seattle..six days a week though, and still can not keep up the work. Been told some terminals on the East Coast, guys bid a 5 day week with various days off so its like a wild bid... cool..that way you know what your day off are weekly. Wish it was system wide cuz I woud jump on that, different runs daily not the same place

IND bids on extraboard slots. Several rotations for am and pm slots.
AM extra board goes on call from 6am-6pm.
PM from 6pm-6am.
5 day work weeks with start days every day of the week but Wednesday.

Not sure if it’s first in first out or what but I’ve never been sat at home. The guys on daytime extra board might sit occasionally though from what I hear.

PM from 6pm-6am.

Not sure if it’s first in first out or what but I’ve never been sat at home. The guys on daytime extra board might sit occasionally though from what I hear.

That would be nice, how many people on your wild board? How many bid drivers in IND?

That would be nice, how many people on your wild board? How many bid drivers in IND?
I think we have 150 bids.
Probably around 50 extra board drivers now.
Nobody really runs wild out of Indy all of our guys are home everyday except for a handful of senior guys who bid on wild bag schedules.

I really enjoy how things are ran here. Being such a large facility we have a lot of options which is nice.

PM from 6pm-6am.

They try to keep the extra board miles even between the drivers. Of course they have the guys that want to run more miles and then the ones who don't so that plays into how they dispatch.

I think we have 150 bids.
Probably around 50 extra board drivers now.
Nobody really runs wild out of Indy all of our guys are home everyday except for a handful of senior guys who bid on wild bag schedules.

I really enjoy how things are ran here. Being such a large facility we have a lot of options which is nice.
We do have wild drivers in Indy and at last count 158 schedules. I run a bid and will bag out on my 5th day.

The larger terminals are able to run "schedules" for the wild drivers, the smaller terminals the wild board has it pretty ruff, days, nights, days, nights.......

We do have wild drivers in Indy and at last count 158 schedules. I run a bid and will bag out on my 5th day.
I’ve never heard of that but I’m still learning.

I assumed by wild drivers he meant our bag/system drivers and I think there were only 3 of those schedules available and they got picked up pretty quick. Had no clue we had bid runs that bagged out also.

I’ve never heard of that but I’m still learning.

I assumed by wild drivers he meant our bag/system drivers and I think there were only 3 of those schedules available and they got picked up pretty quick. Had no clue we had bid runs that bagged out also.
We only have 3 wild bids now that is correct. We used to have a fourth that was a Mon/AM start but they did away with it. I meant they bag our extra board drivers out sometimes. Especially when we're slow. I don't run a wild schedule I have a bid and will bag on Fri so I can cut my 6th day commute out. I love to run my 6th day and bagging out is the easiest way for me to do it.

Is it typical to be off 30 hours between runs during the week I just started and I’m thinking something doesn’t seem right about this I was thinking I would take ten off and then run some more but that only happens on the weekends when I deal with central dispatch

Is it typical to be off 30 hours between runs during the week I just started and I’m thinking something doesn’t seem right about this I was thinking I would take ten off and then run some more but that only happens on the weekends when I deal with central dispatch
If you bag out for 5 days, (not returning to your domicile until the 5th day) you normally turn on 10 hours. If you do a single bag, (out 1 day and back), you go back on the board for that day, with ever how many drivers in front of you.

I’m a wild turn driver but looks like I’m gonna bag out this weekend because sitting around by the phone for long periods of time is not what I thought I signed up for I thought freight was plentiful this time of year usually. My terminal said I needed to be back by Tuesday if I did bag out this weekend so I’m limited as to what I can do

I’m a wild turn driver but looks like I’m gonna bag out this weekend because sitting around by the phone for long periods of time is not what I thought I signed up for I thought freight was plentiful this time of year usually. My terminal said I needed to be back by Tuesday if I did bag out this weekend so I’m limited as to what I can do

Welcome to OD, we over hired around the country expecting a huge surge in freight but so far only a few big city terminals are experiencing big freight levels.

Only in Sea it’s gonna be busy, everyone else in the country been waiting for that phone to ring. We really done over hired this year,,