SEFL | How is SE Freight to work for???

screamingeagle35

TB Lurker
Credits
I work for a competitor and am getting toward the point to look for some alternative options as I could be facing lack of work. Can some of you give me some feedback...I have a couple friends interested as well...I am looking at the Dallas Texas area.....thanks!

linehaul runs are done by bid, however that could be differnet in texas b/c i hear that they are needing drivers. i was hired on as a city driver, and went to line haul after a year i was on a system bid and i later went back to p&d. 99% of the time i left out on monday nite and wldnt roll back in till saturday morning, however that has changed i see system drivers roll back in more during the week now. line haul is not a bad job at sefl, you just hook and ride. however there are many differnt bids. i know those terminal in texas are some of the newest and biggest it may be different there.

Koool I appreciate the info man...I currently do linehaul at Fedex Freight because that is where the money is at...but I have done P&D before,I did it for 4 1/2 years. I will do either I just didn't know what the job entailed. Maybe I can go P&D and just feel it out,I really don't wanna be gone all week if that is how they do it for the most part....

Thanks,Brandon

linehaul runs are done by bid, however that could be differnet in texas b/c i hear that they are needing drivers. i was hired on as a city driver, and went to line haul after a year i was on a system bid and i later went back to p&d. 99% of the time i left out on monday nite and wldnt roll back in till saturday morning, however that has changed i see system drivers roll back in more during the week now. line haul is not a bad job at sefl, you just hook and ride. however there are many differnt bids. i know those terminal in texas are some of the newest and biggest it may be different there.

Most of the line haul drivers out of my terminal are home everyday, with the occasional layover.

YEah it looked like they had good benefits as well,from what I could tell online. Same vacation and all. Not sure what the starting pay is...I am sure it is close to Fedex. They seem to all be in the ballpark.

I run linehaul and love it. Most runs at my barn are laydowns, but home next day. I prefer laydown because no hunnydo's 2 days a week.:biglaugh: Good company to work for (no lay offs yet), although we rotate off. Rotation hasn't been bad at my barn, but rough at some. I think the texas term.'s are looking for some help, but trying to fill those positions by transfer from other terms that are rotating the most. Still wouldn't hurt to get name in the hat in case drivers don't want to move. Good luck to you and all fed-ex affected by this bad economy.:smilie_132:

I run linehaul and love it. Most runs at my barn are laydowns, but home next day. I prefer laydown because no hunnydo's 2 days a week.:biglaugh: Good company to work for (no lay offs yet), although we rotate off. Rotation hasn't been bad at my barn, but rough at some. I think the texas term.'s are looking for some help, but trying to fill those positions by transfer from other terms that are rotating the most. Still wouldn't hurt to get name in the hat in case drivers don't want to move. Good luck to you and all fed-ex affected by this bad economy.:smilie_132:

Thanks for that info...maybe there will be some open positions left after the dust settles...:-) I am going to make my mind up over the next 30 days.

SEFL is good. The family really trys to keep everybody working, even now dipping into their own pockets. They have not changed the 401 or insurance or pay yet. Really trying to do the right thing. But SEFL does not hire much. Last time NAS hired was April 2007 & you start PT, then move full time when opening arises. Very cost conscience & trys to look long term which is good, but slows the growth. We want to grow, but it very controlled. Just recently dumped the purchased transportation, put on A/B schedule & Team to TX. They really look out for their people.

very interesting Puddles...Fedex could take some lessons from SEFL....ooo that's right ,we USED to be a family owned business(American Frieghtways) until BIG BUSINESS got the better of us...I remember those days of how you were actually a person....can you feel the frustration?..lol

I work for Southeastern been there 12 years. will retire from there unless they run me off first.
Tater Out

Hey FedExMan,

I left fedex in January to come over to SouthEastern,they gave me a job and security, when fedex didn't give a crap about me. So far, best thing I've ever done, more money to boot. As far as benefits, they are the same as fedex, Cigna. Check into it, you won't be disappointed.

Hey FedExMan,

I left fedex in January to come over to SouthEastern,they gave me a job and security, when fedex didn't give a crap about me. So far, best thing I've ever done, more money to boot. As far as benefits, they are the same as fedex, Cigna. Check into it, you won't be disappointed.

I called the Dallas service center and they wouldn't tell me if they still were hiring. I asked to speak to their hiring manager and she told me they weren't accepting calls about jobs,I was like...ummm ok. So I dunno if they are even still hiring or not....

I called the Dallas service center and they wouldn't tell me if they still were hiring. I asked to speak to their hiring manager and she told me they weren't accepting calls about jobs,I was like...ummm ok. So I dunno if they are even still hiring or not....

I filled out an application online about a week ago and havent heard anything. If you do this be sure and set aside about an hour because they ask for residence over the past 10 years and a questionaire of 90 questions.

I filled out an application online about a week ago and havent heard anything. If you do this be sure and set aside about an hour because they ask for residence over the past 10 years and a questionaire of 90 questions.

It's time consuming but worth the expenditure. It took 2 weeks before I got a response, they check into your every detail you provided. And the 'test' is long but simple. Use your best judgment on the test and you will get a response. Remember, it's not what people see you do at that particular moment, it's what you do when you think no one is watching your actions at that particular moment!!! The right thing is the right thing!!!!

FedExMan,

Are you in the Dalllas area, or are you in the burbs? I hear we will be hiring here at our terminal in east texas in april.

Actually at the moment I am in Lubbock. I am trying to get to Dallas/Ft Worth,but since we are pretty much on lockdown for transfers and even hiring,I am looking outside the company.

I am not really happy where I am at ,location,or job situation. I am 3rd xtra board and have been averaging like 2-3 days a week....not good.

Those surveys are so tedious..some college nerd had to develop those things..lol...I took one for Pepsi a while back,and FAILED it! LOL I couldn't believe it...I worked for Coke and never had to do that crap...a lot has changed in the last 10 years I suppose.

Hotrodder...I welcome any suggestions you may have man...I cannot seem to get a straight answer or any help from the receptionist at Southeastern...she tells me they (Rick and Mike) do not accept calls about jobs...I tried to explain to her that I only wanted to let them know I wanted to relocate from Lubbock,and was wondering if all positions were filled.