How long does it take

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Here in Cleveland, Frito Lay seems to have a lot of trucks running around. They have everything, from a big fleet of step vans to E-Serries Vans to 28' box trucks. The 28' box trucks I see go to Wal-Mart and the grocery stores. My question is how long does it take to do a Wal-Mart, because it seems that some of the Wal-Marts are very time consuming and the driver even has like a merchandiser who goes in a separate car to help stock the shelves.

I know the potato chip trucks start early in the morning and they have quite a bit to do.

Mike it's been nearly 12 years since I drove for Frito-Lay and I drove OTR, but I did know several of the route drivers who ran the Walmarts. At the time the route drivers running the Walmarts only did one store and worked about 8 hours with a helper. Things have changed in 12 years and who knows what it's like now, but it used to be a great place to work. I do know that the route drivers and local tractor trailer drivers didn't make the money the OTR drivers made, but money isn't everything. I do know a lot of the route drivers started very early, 2-4 am and were on the golf course by early afternoon.

I see the Frito Lay guys on my route, they have the guys who do like the small gas stations and convenient stores, those guys bring the chips in and then they stock the shelves.

Your right about Wal-Mart and places like that, I think those guys might only do 2-3 stops a day I think it may depend a little. It certainly though can be a 2 person job.

With the new GES system we do wal marts in 53' tractor trailers. Typically in the evenings and overnight not during receiving hours. Just drop the carts off and pick up the empty carts and leave. Depending on how many carts you unload/load, you can be in and out in 12-20 minutes. In a perfect world.

Walmarts on this GES deal depends on how long you hang out at a closed back door. I typically take 20/30 minutes to do a Walmart. But sometimes it takes 40/60 minutes. Small stores you're in and out 15 minutes.

Walmarts on this GES deal depends on how long you hang out at a closed back door. I typically take 20/30 minutes to do a Walmart. But sometimes it takes 40/60 minutes. Small stores you're in and out 15 minutes.

Hanging out at that closed back door is right!! I have some wal marts I know for a fact I'm better off walking around to the front to find someone. No matter how many times I call and ring the bell, nobody will ever come. Wish we could complain to wal mart corporate about this problem.