How much does it cost?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
You guys are smart and have all been around the block, I have a question.
I was watching season 2 of Highway Thru Hell and they had a wreck where a refer trailer caught fire and burned and burned and burned and burned and burned and burned and finally the tow truck company brought there own fire truck to come and put out the fire. Well they had a flat bed tractor trailer on that job, a heavy duty semi tractor trailer tow truck on that job and a Miller Rotator Tow Truck on that job as well as a salvage team with a bob cat and back hoe. Also two guys doing traffic control. What's the final bill for a job like that $30,000?

I mean that Rotator Tow truck is like $600.00 an hour and I'm pretty sure Salvage Teams are not cheap, it's got to be expensive I would think.

Hello Mike,

My "block" is 1200 miles long, then "around a corner" to another "street" home. (NC-TX-NC)

10-2 on watching that show although I'm watching episodes from 2012 through netflix.
Is that the episode of the Reefer with Cat food??

NO clean up on the Coq is cheap and your guess seems reasonable.
CHEERS!!

My son- in- law is a state trooper and tells me when there is a crash, their first priority is to get the wreckage out of the way and the road open to traffic. You are pretty much at the mercy of the tow company as far as costs go. The state police use a list of local approved companies to call so they all get some of the work. Sometimes roll over loads are unloaded and reloaded on another trailer by hand because of the type of freight. Very costly when they have to bring in lowboys, forklifts, and extra labor to do all this.

My son- in- law is a state trooper and tells me when there is a crash, their first priority is to get the wreckage out of the way and the road open to traffic. You are pretty much at the mercy of the tow company as far as costs go. The state police use a list of local approved companies to call so they all get some of the work. Sometimes roll over loads are unloaded and reloaded on another trailer by hand because of the type of freight. Very costly when they have to bring in lowboys, forklifts, and extra labor to do all this.
this is true here in my state as well. once a crash has been reported, nearly everyone comes out.

here, it is called the "quick clean up law"

when the tow companies arrives, they can (and have done so) call out a huge pay-loader and push the entire rig off the road, to keep traffic flowing.

this law has been
on the books" for decades, but the tow companies did not want to cause more damage to the rig, cargo, etc.

the governor back then said, BS, FOLLOW THE LAW.....

pay loaders alone here can be as little as $500 per hour, starting from the time the operator leaves his house, and returns....and as we all know, those damn things, don't go too fast on the highways....one hell of a bill.......just for that service.

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/fhwahop09005/auth_removal.htm