Yellow | How Roadway Express Began

Did you notice the driver and the dispatcher are on the wrong side of the truck, this why today we only have 1 seat to prevent this from happening and save time leaving the yard...............................:hide::hilarious:

before wall st took over trucking, now you got lard arse brokers sitting in front of computers trying to find slaves, hope they have a heart attack every monday morning

It was such a good story until the 20:10 mark, then tragedy struck.
My exact thoughts, was the beginning of the end for a great company. Before that we were proud to work for Roadway and it showed in our work. Like hiho said we used to sit high in our seats in those big R trucks!

I started with Roadway in 1981 and retired in 2009. The best years began after Roadway Services spun off Roadway Express and Michael Wickham took over.
As I use to say: I'm a former Marine, a Teamster, and I work for the Big R.

My exact thoughts, was the beginning of the end for a great company. Before that we were proud to work for Roadway and it showed in our work. Like hiho said we used to sit high in our seats in those big R trucks!
Let me guess... is that when the yellow fiasco began??

Let me guess... is that when the yellow fiasco began??
4mCA8Kc.jpg

:hissyfit:

those were the days when you were proud to be a roadway driver sitting tall in the seat true to your colors

Even before the 3000 White days, when I was 14 or 15 yrs old, all I ever wanted to do was drive a dark green autocar for Roadway, never did make it.
I didn't realize at the time I would have a better deal, Ryder Truck Lines, stayed in Charl. 1955- 1990.
Had a lot of friends drove for Big R, one of the best companies in my days, bar none.

After the spinoff from Roadway Services, Roadway started Empowerment, Teamsters working without supervision. At Roadway Abq. the inbound and outbound shifts worked without any management supervision up until the merger with Yellow.
At the start of Empowerment we had meeting about this with the terminal manager, who was all for it. I found out later, management was dead set against it but they had no choice.
I worked the outbound shift all through Empowerment. We were a tight group of four to five workers. We got the job done and had fun too.

Last edited:
Where have you been hiding?
Getting ready to move to Florida. I am building a home near Tampa and I have been running back and forth for about 6 months. I had enough of New Jersey taxes, Triplex and my better half wants to get away from winter. I should be in my new home by the end of September and then I will be on more, unless I get hit with a hurricane! :guiness:

Getting ready to move to Florida. I am building a home near Tampa and I have been running back and forth for about 6 months. I had enough of New Jersey taxes, Triplex and my better half wants to get away from winter. I should be in my new home by the end of September and then I will be on more, unless I get hit with a hurricane! :guiness:
Welcome to Florida ! :woohoo1:

Roady, please don't mention the "H" word, I've lived with it since 1990, I live in a flood zone on pilings and
don't carry Wind & Hail insurance because it's so expensive.
When you get to Fla. you may take up my hobby, it's called (watching the weather in the tropics) during hurricane season.
Good luck on your move and new home.

After the spinoff from Roadway Services, Roadway started Empowerment, Teamsters working without supervision. At Roadway Abq. the inbound and outbound shifts worked without any management supervision up until the merger with Yellow.
At the start of Empowerment we had meeting about this with the terminal manager, who was all for it. I found out later, management was dead set against it but they had no choice.
I worked the outbound shift all through Empowerment. We were a tight group of four to five workers. We got the job done and had fun too.
those were the days . we ran the docks and the numbers were better than ever . then supers seen that and started screw with the computers and numbers because they were worried about their jobs {rightfully so }