Estes | Hub laydown runs going away

trucknfool

TB Regular
Credits
There's a lot of chatter about Hub laydown runs being eliminated or changed possibly to eliminate Motel cost. Is this a step towards going to the OD model where everyone is out and back ?
I imagine that they will have to combine the two catagories to achieve that goal.

And add the commute time every day on turns. I like layovers that are close to a good restaurant for a nice meal and then a good sleep. Life is too short. :smile new:
Life is too short to live in a motel too. For me sleeping in my own bed is much better , that is everyone choice to live away from the terminal. That's not on the company. .

Life is too short to live in a motel too. For me sleeping in my own bed is much better , that is everyone choice to live away from the terminal. That's not on the company. .
For me turns are best if you're working 8-10 hours, but after 12-14, as Jaloc posted, how much time do you really have at home? I've always liked short turns so I can spend time at home but when running longer hours I like layovers and I make them enjoyable. Otherwise I agree with you.

They're probably trying to cut Motel cost ,
I'm sure there is going to be some empty miles at times but they have that now in certain areas.

They're probably trying to cut Motel cost ,
I'm sure there is going to be some empty miles at times but they have that now in certain areas.
we eliminated most lay out runs over the last few years at Pyle, the majority of drivers want to be home daily. Drivers that were sleeping out were aloud to keep if they wanted and about half went to home daily as soon as they could.

Rumor has it, they're replacing hub laydown runs with linehaul. I don't see how with lots of hub laydowns with a dock stop off to load their own trailer to finish the run.
"Unless" they're hiring enough dock workers to have the trailer loaded when they get there. We shall see what they're up to next month.
I don't think estes is really concerned about motel expenses since they have drivers running opposite on 400 mile runs doing laydowns

There's a lot of chatter about Hub laydown runs being eliminated or changed possibly to eliminate Motel cost. Is this a step towards going to the OD model where everyone is out and back ?
I imagine that they will have to combine the two catagories to achieve that goal.
Holland/Yellow is talking the same stuff. Must see those huge profits OD is making and hoping to duplicate?

Somebody remind Yellow drivers how many sleeper shuttle teams OD runs to cut down on "laydown" runs.
We hire Schneider and CRST and several others to take care of that. I'm not saying it's going to work, I'm just saying that is what they are saying is happening about the third week of April.

Rumor has it, they're replacing hub laydown runs with linehaul. I don't see how with lots of hub laydowns with a dock stop off to load their own trailer to finish the run.
"Unless" they're hiring enough dock workers to have the trailer loaded when they get there. We shall see what they're up to next month.
I don't think estes is really concerned about motel expenses since they have drivers running opposite on 400 mile runs doing laydowns
Yeah, There is two many Linehaul runs going into hubs now with drivers that are not working the dock. Just puts More workload on the hub drivers that have to work it. There should not be a Linehaul run going to a hub. If it's a hub at that location you need to be unloading your trailer!!!

Yeah, There is two many Linehaul runs going into hubs now with drivers that are not working the dock. Just puts More workload on the hub drivers that have to work it. There should not be a Linehaul run going to a hub. If it's a hub at that location you need to be unloading your trailer!!!
I agree. Seems like a lot of the hubs are hiring dockworkers to replace the driver's and letting the drivers sit in their trucks, sleep or run shuttles to nearby terminals. Lots of hub runs that don't even require dock work and those drivers turn and burn. Meanwhile line drivers are on a run that should be labeled a hub and sit for hours waiting for freight to get stripped and loaded. None of it makes any sense. Seems like they want to get rid of the hub but don't know how to do it with out pissing off hundreds of drivers.

I don't understand what their thinking is either, in today's Labor market, who wants to work part time with no benefits plus on a cold dock with no heat. Revolving door . No one will stay around long enough to learn the job . At least with Hub drivers working the freight , you have some consistency.

I don't understand what their thinking is either, in today's Labor market, who wants to work part time with no benefits plus on a cold dock with no heat. Revolving door . No one will stay around long enough to learn the job . At least with Hub drivers working the freight , you have some consistency.
Hopefully they'll throw them a bone in another way. I have some friends on hub laydowns. Going from $100k to $60k is life changing.