FedEx Freight | Hubs

Is dock work hard? No. Are there harder more harsh jobs out there? Yes. But when I came to work for this company I had one goal, to be a linehaul driver and get paid to drive. I already put my time in on the dock and have no plans on going back. But if you're talking about new guys coming in off the street who have probably never operated a forklift in their life being forced on the dock majority of their time, you're gonna lose people. Nobody WANTS to work the dock, that's the whole point. All you drivers in here with sweet road bids would probably throw a fit of you came in and we're told hey you're only a dockworker from now on no more driving. But for the guy at the crappy terminal with all shuttle bids, that's a big hell no for me. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to be building decks and freezing my ass off when I'm old man barely moving like the senior drivers I see lol
To each their own, I’d rather run shuttle runs and get out of the truck and do some physical work. Sitting in that truck for long periods is also hard on your body. By the way, I happen to really enjoy my “crappy” center.

To each their own, I’d rather run shuttle runs and get out of the truck and do some physical work. Sitting in that truck for long periods is also hard on your body. By the way, I happen to really enjoy my “crappy” center.
If you like it that's all that matters. Me personally, between a couple years doing otr flatbed and shuttle at a crappy center, I'm much happier just driving now.

All us senior drivers started at the bottom and stuck through the cold and shuttles and any other bull crap that comes from being a newbie. If you newbies think you're going to hire in and get some special deals that some manager promised you forget it it's not happening. Put in your time and suck it up.
Speak for yourself. Not all of the senior drivers ever touched freight or even opened trailer doors when they started.
The left coast VP of linehaul said this business model was the stupidest thing he’d ever seen, and this old ex Viking line driver is in complete agreement.

Speak for yourself. Not all of the senior drivers ever touched freight or even opened trailer doors when they started.
The left coast VP of linehaul said this business model was the stupidest thing he’d ever seen, and this old ex Viking line driver is in complete agreement.
Why pay a dock worker $18 per hour when you can pay a road driver $32.95!!! Makes perfect sense...on some other planet. Not this one.

Hey Richard thanks for checking in and setting the record straight. I forgot about you old F___S. Hope everything is going well.

Got a question that may not related but here goes. Does a dock worker who trains to be a city driver get seniority when he comes to the city over people he was hired before? Or does he go to the bottom of the board?

Dare we even mention parking MILLIONS of dollars worth of tractors for hours on end to free up forklift drivers? And then park those forklifts for hours on end waiting for their $32.95 per hour drivers to return?
My tractor is 8 years old with 700,000 miles on it. I would say that tractor has made FedEx plenty of money. My measly 4 hrs on the dock, plus my 169 mile round trip is most likely paid in full with One shipment. I think FedEx will be ok!!

My tractor is 8 years old with 700,000 miles on it. I would say that tractor has made FedEx plenty of money. My measly 4 hrs on the dock, plus my 169 mile round trip is most likely paid in full with One shipment. I think FedEx will be ok!!
only 4 hours? Should be able to make 6 and still get your forklift operator transport vehicle back to the terminal.