FedEx Freight | Hubs

Panhandler92

TB Lurker
Credits
Whats up with some of these shuttle runs where they literally use you as the dock help? To the point of almost running out of hours to make it back?

Seems a tad bit counterintuitive to me if the goal is keeping newer guys on when there are plenty of options out there that will pay the same or more without dock time.

Whats up with some of these shuttle runs where they literally use you as the dock help? To the point of almost running out of hours to make it back?

Seems a tad bit counterintuitive to me if the goal is keeping newer guys on when there are plenty of options out there that will pay the same or more without dock time.
Fedex can't find any part time dock so bottom seniority employees get stuck working the dock. Newer employees really don't have a choice and Fedex knows this so the revolving door continues.

Fedex can't find any part time dock so bottom seniority employees get stuck working the dock. Newer employees really don't have a choice and Fedex knows this so the revolving door continues. The only benefit some employees received is they were hired at top of scale. My guess is this tactic is to retain new hires.

Freight has to move across the dock onto another trailer that will complete the deal. That’s the nature of the business. If part time dock can’t be hired…then shuttle drivers will provide the dock help. That’s how it will be. It’s a shuttle

Freight has to move across the dock onto another trailer that will complete the deal. That’s the nature of the business. If part time dock can’t be hired…then shuttle drivers will provide the dock help. That’s how it will be. It’s a shuttle
My center is all shuttle runs. Every bid is under 200 miles one way. The only way to make money is to work dock, or take a VIA.

Life is all about perspective. And from my perspective as a former beverage relocation and installation engineer who humped cases for 12-14-16 hours a day in all weather, riding around on a forklift for four or five hours on a short shuttle bid is a freaking cakewalk. Dress warm in winter. Drink plenty of water in summer. Take VIAs whenever you can. Make money. It's simple. Don't like it, go OTR. I hear there's a lot of companies who offer "no-touch freight" out there!

Life is all about perspective. And from my perspective as a former beverage relocation and installation engineer who humped cases for 12-14-16 hours a day in all weather, riding around on a forklift for four or five hours on a short shuttle bid is a freaking cakewalk. Dress warm in winter. Drink plenty of water in summer. Take VIAs whenever you can. Make money. It's simple. Don't like it, go OTR. I hear there's a lot of companies who offer "no-touch freight" out there!
I agree, and it’s good to get out of the truck and move around. Dock work isn’t very hard, but mostly aggravating at times.

Guys. My point was we're losing NEW drivers to this. Of course those of us in the industry for a while know what to expect - but when say a hub like LOU for example leaves you out to dry for 8 hours.. We're having trouble keeping the NEW guys on and it seems asinine to work someone on the dock that long when they were dispatched 3-4 hours into it.

Or they have you run after your freight at your cut time, Theres a bunch that the newer drivers are grumbling over and some have sought employment elsewhere already. Nobody seems to want to do it even at top scale as they'll find something at a higher rate than us without the dock work.

Guys. My point was we're losing NEW drivers to this. Of course those of us in the industry for a while know what to expect - but when say a hub like LOU for example leaves you out to dry for 8 hours.. We're having trouble keeping the NEW guys on and it seems asinine to work someone on the dock that long when they were dispatched 3-4 hours into it.

Or they have you run after your freight at your cut time, Theres a bunch that the newer drivers are grumbling over and some have sought employment elsewhere already. Nobody seems to want to do it even at top scale as they'll find something at a higher rate than us without the dock work.
Good luck with that. They knew when they hired on what kind schedule and miles that were being offered.

I'm one of those "newer drivers." Let the crybabies leave.

And, I'll add, my bottom-tier pay terminal didn't hire me in at top rate. If a newbie who hired on last year at top rate in a top-tier pay terminal wants to whine about making several dollars more than I do every hour, they can get out. We don't need 'em.

And, I'll add, my bottom-tier pay terminal didn't hire me in at top rate. If a newbie who hired on last year at top rate in a top-tier pay terminal wants to whine about making several dollars more than I do every hour, they can get out. We don't need 'em.

I remember being in step 1 of progression doing 6 and out every day and getting a weekend run occasionally. I'd be staring at my phone on a Saturday morning, thirsty for a phone call from dispatch lol

Is dock work hard? No. Are there harder more harsh jobs out there? Yes. But when I came to work for this company I had one goal, to be a linehaul driver and get paid to drive. I already put my time in on the dock and have no plans on going back. But if you're talking about new guys coming in off the street who have probably never operated a forklift in their life being forced on the dock majority of their time, you're gonna lose people. Nobody WANTS to work the dock, that's the whole point. All you drivers in here with sweet road bids would probably throw a fit of you came in and we're told hey you're only a dockworker from now on no more driving. But for the guy at the crappy terminal with all shuttle bids, that's a big hell no for me. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to be building decks and freezing my ass off when I'm old man barely moving like the senior drivers I see lol

Is dock work hard? No. Are there harder more harsh jobs out there? Yes. But when I came to work for this company I had one goal, to be a linehaul driver and get paid to drive. I already put my time in on the dock and have no plans on going back. But if you're talking about new guys coming in off the street who have probably never operated a forklift in their life being forced on the dock majority of their time, you're gonna lose people. Nobody WANTS to work the dock, that's the whole point. All you drivers in here with sweet road bids would probably throw a fit of you came in and we're told hey you're only a dockworker from now on no more driving. But for the guy at the crappy terminal with all shuttle bids, that's a big hell no for me. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to be building decks and freezing my ass off when I'm old man barely moving like the senior drivers I see lol
All us senior drivers started at the bottom and stuck through the cold and shuttles and any other bull crap that comes from being a newbie. If you newbies think you're going to hire in and get some special deals that some manager promised you forget it it's not happening. Put in your time and suck it up.

All us senior drivers started at the bottom and stuck through the cold and shuttles and any other bull crap that comes from being a newbie. If you newbies think you're going to hire in and get some special deals that some manager promised you forget it it's not happening. Put in your time and suck it up.
Maybe reading isn't your strongest subject. I said I already put my time in on the dock lol