SAIA | Human resources / Part-timer hours question

puddriver

TB Lurker
Credits
I work "part time" on the dock at a Saia terminal in texas. When i was hired on i was told i would be working anywhere from 20-35 hrs per week. The first few months i was working about 25 hrs per week, it kept going up and up and up, right now the supervisor wants to keep me a minimum of 10 hrs per day, I have another job i have to be at in the morrning, around 10pm but the super wants to keep me till 10 or 11 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Ive tried to work with him the last few weeks by staying late and helping him out, but it just seems like we need more ppl. or ppl need to get the lead out.

Either way i just cant continue to go down this road, i do like working for saia and i like the ppl on the dock, i need the extra money that i make at saia each week but i cant and really dont want to work 10-12 hrs a day part-time, i mean im not getting benifits, there not offering full time positions to give me a little job security, they just seem to want to work the dog **** outa me and the other parttimers. Just doesnt seem fair. Especially when full time ppl are going home after 8.5 hrs every day, no questions asked.

So the supervisor was telling me today that he spoke with his boss and the dock workers that they have need to beable to work till the job is done, full timers OR parttimers or they need to give up their spot so they can get someone in there that can. "part-time" and 50+ hrs a week seems kinda contradictory.

Does this sound like whats going on at most terminals? Are they able to fire a part-timer because hes unable to work a 50+ hr week just to get another "part timer" in there that can? Is there some one at headquarters i should speak to? I would speak to the TM but he seems like a ***.

I work "part time" on the dock at a Saia terminal in texas. When i was hired on i was told i would be working anywhere from 20-35 hrs per week. The first few months i was working about 25 hrs per week, it kept going up and up and up, right now the supervisor wants to keep me a minimum of 10 hrs per day, I have another job i have to be at in the morrning, around 10pm but the super wants to keep me till 10 or 11 EVERY SINGLE DAY. Ive tried to work with him the last few weeks by staying late and helping him out, but it just seems like we need more ppl. or ppl need to get the lead out.

Either way i just cant continue to go down this road, i do like working for saia and i like the ppl on the dock, i need the extra money that i make at saia each week but i cant and really dont want to work 10-12 hrs a day part-time, i mean im not getting benifits, there not offering full time positions to give me a little job security, they just seem to want to work the dog **** outa me and the other parttimers. Just doesnt seem fair. Especially when full time ppl are going home after 8.5 hrs every day, no questions asked.

So the supervisor was telling me today that he spoke with his boss and the dock workers that they have need to beable to work till the job is done, full timers OR parttimers or they need to give up their spot so they can get someone in there that can. "part-time" and 50+ hrs a week seems kinda contradictory.

Does this sound like whats going on at most terminals? Are they able to fire a part-timer because hes unable to work a 50+ hr week just to get another "part timer" in there that can? Is there some one at headquarters i should speak to? I would speak to the TM but he seems like a ***.

Partimers will more than likely hang in there longer than full time for the simple reason of not having benefits.

Follow the chain of command is my opinion. You took the first step by talking to your sup. Talk to the TM even if he seems like an ***. If you get no where there, take the next step.
We don't have part-timers anymore at my terminal, but the o/b p/t guys would have to stay till everything was loaded when we had them. But knowing you have another job and are only p/t, it would seem they would work with you more. Just my opinion though.

I don't know what the other job is, maybe it has benefits and that is something to hold on too, but, me personally, I would hang with Saia with the expectation of full time openings when the frieght levels increase and they will eventually. If nothing else, by working the dock, you are building a work history that you can shop at any number of jobs which will need full time people once things turn around.
Good luck.