XPO | hung up at 62 mph

imported_roadrage

TB Regular
Credits
How many other drivers have encountered a vehicle merging onto a main road and you get over into the left lane and the merging drive now safetly in the travel lane does not allow you to change back into the travel lane? and then impatient drivers start passing on your left.
I tried countering this by slowing down and maintaining the travel lane allowing merging driver enough space but, the merging vehicle slows down as well. I did this the other night and slowed down to approx. 50 mph and was almost run over by a CFI TRUCK
Now, by law you are not required to get into the left lane to allow merging traffic on but i also don't want to have a collision or get creamed from the rear.
It seems that at 65 mph it was just enogh to avoid alot of this. I also want to work for a profitable company. Maybe, we can cut the corners somewhere else?

get used to it. npme trucks, anywhere from 63-65, this happens frequently. 4-wheelers are one thing, lets say they don't know any better. but when big trucks do it after you moved to let them out, and wont even let you get back over. well, quick blink of signal and start your move back into your previous lane.that seems to wake there stupid a$$ up. you should here them and there excuses for not letting you back over, thats if they can even speak english,some nights can be real amuseing.

How many other drivers have encountered a vehicle merging onto a main road and you get over into the left lane and the merging drive now safetly in the travel lane does not allow you to change back into the travel lane? and then impatient drivers start passing on your left.
I tried countering this by slowing down and maintaining the travel lane allowing merging driver enough space but, the merging vehicle slows down as well. I did this the other night and slowed down to approx. 50 mph and was almost run over by a CFI TRUCK
Now, by law you are not required to get into the left lane to allow merging traffic on but i also don't want to have a collision or get creamed from the rear.
It seems that at 65 mph it was just enogh to avoid alot of this. I also want to work for a profitable company. Maybe, we can cut the corners somewhere else?

By law??? Not in CT...nor is there such thing as a merge to get on the interstate...there are no yield signs either...What you should do (well what i do) is pretty simple...if I am able to get over to let the non observing person on the freeway, i turn my signal on to get back over (if I feel up to another lane change that is), and then one of two things happen, either i can get back over, or cannot get back over..makes no craps to me as i will get to where i am going in either lane...oh and if you dont look at the truck while it is passing you you will never know that they flipped you off AND it really pisses them off not knowing whether you saw them flip you off or not...you must make your own entertainment while driving these days...

Lots of letters written to news like 20/20, Dateline or whatever about what the new 62mph is REALLY doing to our air, causing the trucks to use more fuel.

Apparently, what with the mag covers ConWay has bought, the racing team, etc. Conway is trying to make themselves big wigs. So exposing them and their "green ways" along with video of how the truck boils black smoke should put them into a segment on one of the tell all newscast. Embarrass them.

when big trucks do it after you moved to let them out, and wont even let you get back over. well, quick blink of signal and start your move back into your previous lane.that seems to wake there stupid a$$ up.
A little blinkity blink and a crack of the whip seems to serve as a friendly reminder. And for the 4 wheelers who run with the brights on or ride up behind, I prefer the fart strip sucker method. Ride the fart strips for a few hundred feet and it sucks enough sand and gravel out to beat the paint off or ding the windshield. :hide:

thats if they can even speak english
I used to just think people were just stupid. Now I have to take into consideration that they are stupid and probably can't speak english.

Just hold your ground and play chicken with them. It's the merging operator's responsibility to yield the right of way. That's what the exeleration ramp is for. Get up to highway speed and merge. If they can't handle this, they should stay off the highway.

Have you guys been trained using the SMITH SYSTEM? I know the new hires should be.
This works great and will help you avoid any of those issues mentioned.

Use of the four-way flashers when you suddenly get trapped and start to slow down helps the trucks behind you from rear ending you.

Ask your TM or Personnel Supervisor about SMITH SYSTEM Training. It's worth it and fun to practice it while grouping together and using your TM's car!

5 Keys to Safe Defensive Driving

1. Aim High In Steering
2. Get The Big Picture
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
4. Leave Yourself An Out
5. Make Sure They See You

All Good Kids Like Milk

Have you guys been trained using the SMITH SYSTEM? I know the new hires should be.

Use of the four-way flashers when you suddenly get trapped and start to slow down helps the trucks behind you from rear ending you.

Ask your TM or Personnel Supervisor about SMITH SYSTEM Training. It's worth it and fun to practice it while grouping together and using your TM's car!

1. Aim High In Steering
2. Get The Big Picture
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
4. Leave Yourself An Out

All Good Kids Like Milk

SOME insurance companies recognize the smith system and some will give you a discount for taking this course.

I told this to my driver as we are talking over the cellphone and his remark:
$#$^%^^&@%$@@!!!!

Oh and he's the trainer of the Smith System for his area. :chairshot:

Ok, he did add that it's good to a certain point, the getting over for someone to merge is Smith System but other people are NOT on Smith System. And then you don't have the speed to merge back so the Smith System doesn't work well for L/H, except for watching way down the road, being aware. Smith System is good for intown driving. But slow L/H trucks really screwed up the Smith System.

1. Aim High In Steering
2. Get The Big Picture
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
4. Leave Yourself An Out

All Good Kids Like Milk

1. Aim High In Steering
2. Get The Big Picture
3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
4. Leave Yourself An Out

All Good Kids Like Milk

3 quick points..

1. You can get a car insurace discount for completing Smith System training.(I have since completing it at the otr carrier I worked for)

2. Believe it or not it looks great on your resume.

3.At 62mph on a big road you can fall asleep and not run rear end anyone but on a 2 lane with amish buggys aim high in steering can save your rear.

As far as hung out at 62 goes don't be THAT GUY holding up the left lane. I backed out of it for a JB who decided he was gonna pass 3 miles of traffic at 62 1/100mph. He was out there for no less than 15 miles. The traffic behind him saw what I did and no less than 10 4 wheelers waved to me as they passed. I payed the price for the next 70 miles but we have to do that now. PLEASE DON'T BE THAY GUY!!

Just hold your ground and play chicken with them. It's the merging operator's responsibility to yield the right of way. That's what the exeleration ramp is for. Get up to highway speed and merge. If they can't handle this, they should stay off the highway.
I used to feel this way until my kids started driving and I think "what if that's one of my kids driving that car". I try to teach them that very thing you are talking about, but the confidence comes with experience.

$#$^%^^&@%$@@!!!!

Ok, he did add that it's good to a certain point, the getting over for someone to merge is Smith System but other people are NOT on Smith System. And then you don't have the speed to merge back so the Smith System doesn't work well for L/H, except for watching way down the road, being aware. Smith System is good for intown driving. But slow L/H trucks really screwed up the Smith System.

I've run the Road and City and SMITH SYSTEM works great!
It's boring to learn but when applied it's awesome.
There must be something drivers can tweak if they feel it is not working for them.

$#$^%^^&@%$@@!!!!

I also train and everyone I have trained and certified says it works under all conditions.
They practice it while driving to and from work and have told me it has made them a better driver.

We changed/adjusted each drivers driving behavior, allowed them to use the AGKLM at all times and they were able to successfully maneuver through all those conditions mentioned above without any fear.

To be honest with everyone, Con-ways Cliffs-Notes version is not the greatest, it touches on the basics and some of the trainers tend to rush things just to get it over with. (Not A Good Thing)

My driver has been driving in delivery since 1975, only a couple of preventable accidents (long time back) and he's past the million mile mark. Also the trainer in Tyler was impressed with him as a trainer. Believe me, my driver doesn't know the meaning of SHORT CUT when it comes to explaining something. That's why after a little bit of listening to him I tune out and hear 'blah blah blah' :biglaugh:

The part he was talking about is that not every driver on the road, no matter if they are truckers or just plain 4 wheelers are trained in the Smith System. And the part on the Smith System that doesn't work on the road is exactly what the original poster said: he can't get back over due to slow speed of the truck. This is where the Smith System is hard to follow. In the city where speed isn't a factor, it's a great system he said. Yes, he likes the Smith System and when he got back from his training he liked it and studied for days, trained on his days off and made sure every driver knew what they were doing.

You are right, there are those that breeze through and not care.

Also my driver has been Driver Trainer for 18 years now and has taught many to drive pups. And he sure doesn't mind letting a driver know what he is doing wrong. For 10 years before that he was teaching others how to drive delivery vans, bob trucks, backing up, etc.

About a year or so ago the Smith System helped him avoid hitting a car that decided it wanted his lane without asking.

Like most of the drivers on here, he's upset with the 62 mph crap. :chairshot:

I also train and everyone I have trained and certified says it works under all conditions.
They practice it while driving to and from work and have told me it has made them a better driver.

We changed/adjusted each drivers driving behavior, allowed them to use the AGKLM at all times and they were able to successfully maneuver through all those conditions mentioned above without any fear.

To be honest with everyone, Con-ways Cliffs-Notes version is not the greatest, it touches on the basics and some of the trainers tend to rush things just to get it over with. (Not A Good Thing)

i commend your common road knowledge, but if con-way wasnt so concerned with their AHEM "carbon footprint" :BS: we wouldnt be "that guy" :chairshot:

3 quick points..

As far as hung out at 62 goes don't be THAT GUY holding up the left lane. I backed out of it for a JB who decided he was gonna pass 3 miles of traffic at 62 1/100mph. He was out there for no less than 15 miles. The traffic behind him saw what I did and no less than 10 4 wheelers waved to me as they passed. I payed the price for the next 70 miles but we have to do that now. PLEASE DON'T BE THAY GUY!!

You've heard that joke, haven't you?

State trooper saw a Conway truck on the side of the road and the driver out of the truck with belt in his hand beating a poor turtle with it.

Trooper said what are you doing??

Conway driver said I TOLD HIM IF HE DIDN'T GET OFF MY TAIL I'D BEAT HIM TO DEATH!!
:hysterical::hysterical:

i commend your common road knowledge, but if con-way wasnt so concerned with their AHEM "carbon footprint" :BS: we wouldnt be "that guy" :chairshot:

Like most of the drivers on here, he's upset with the 62 mph crap. :chairshot:
I agree that the 62 mph is a somewhat strange number to settle on.
62 mph is good for some states driving 55 mph but horrible and potentially dangerous in states that have 65 mph.
And Yes G.O, the 3 mph does make a difference out their on the 65 mph Highways.

I train in both 55 mph and 65 mph to test the differences. Dealing with mergers is tough when you have to slow to a crawl and turn on your 4-ways to maintain SMITH system safety. I hated it as my natural intentions was to play chicken and or become aggressive as heck to maintain my speed.
Again it works but it's the tweaking of your driving habits that make it work.

Sorry to derail roadrages topic with SMITH system.

I drive triples in a state where the speed limit is 75.....I spend most of the time, waiting for the sound of crunching metal and the sickening feeling of being rear ended.....I no longer watch the mirrors, it scares the ---- out of me.

I drive triples in a state where the speed limit is 75.....I spend most of the time, waiting for the sound of crunching metal and the sickening feeling of being rear ended.....I no longer watch the mirrors, it scares the ---- out of me.
Wow, 62 mph with triples on a posted 75 mph highway.:hide:
All of the Highways in my area are posted 70 mph minus the small country 2 lane areas which differ from 65 mph all the way to 30 mph. I use my four way hazard light whenever possible to raise awareness of my slowness. But, at the same time with how slow your moving with your 4 way lights on some faster moving vehicles from a distance will think your in the breakdown lane and will be ontop of you in just a moment.