Hustler Truck Regulations

I don't think so, because if it doesn't leave the yard a CDL isn't even required, but I would assume some companies might require them just to keep abreast of the trucks condition, and from the operators standpoint it would be a good idea to do a pre-trip inspection especially for damage and signs of abuse that they could otherwise take the blame for.

Are drivers of hostler trucks required to perform DVIRs like drivers of commercial trucks?
actually, i did work as a yardman. (for a few months, rather liked it too)

at that particular job, I HAD to do a pre-trip and "end of shift" inspection. when you have x number or only ONE yard truck, they must be kept running. as it is (at times) difficult to rent one on the spot. if one had to have major repairs..THEN arangements were made to have a rental delivered for the time it was needed, until the company one was up and running again.

the "normal" pre-trip or "beginning shift" inspections were, check oil, coolant, leaks, flats, belts, the wiper operation and wiper blade condition.....just about as nearly like a tractor-trailer rig.....

yes, I HAD to fill out the DVIR each time, we all had to. failure to do so, was like not filling out the DVIR for your truck, when the next shift jumps in, he/she DOES the same pre/post inspections. you did not want to get "beached at" for anything that was broken or not working.

but, this was at THAT particular employer, any others, i cannot say.

I know many employers do. It might be at least an OSHA law? I'm pretty sure OSHA requires forklift inspections too. I've never seen anyone do either.
at one employer NEMF, (that i was a driver at), the dockworkers HAD to not only inspect the forklifts and write up problems, THEN drive them over to the shop, for repairs, and also HAD to use the air hose, to blow out the radiators. everyday/every shift..

Last edited:
If your company runs on ELDs there are exemptions such as off duty PC mode but I'm sure you will be required to not leave a certain radius or it will be a violation