I have an interview with Sysco this week

Chicken_Man

TB Lurker
Credits
We had a meeting 2 Fridays ago at my current job and they informed us that they are moving all operations from Atlanta to Statesville, NC. So I got on the ball looking for a new gig, of course I want something in foodservice, i havent learned my lesson yet, lol. So I updated all my information on Sysco's website and finally was able to get a lady in HR on the phone, she was nice even though she did ask me some strange questions. One being did I have any friends that work there? I don't and I told her no, but it left me wondering if that helped or hurt me, lol. Anyway she asked me what day would be good for me to come in for an interview and we set it up, she told me to ask for her, then I will meet with the Transportation Manager. I was just wondering if anyone can help me out a little bit and let me know some of the questions and stuff to expect in the interview. I wanted to get on with Sysco before I got hired where I'm working now, so I'm really looking forward to it, just don't want to screw up! :duh:

Thanks!

Good luck chicken man. The company I work for got bought out by sysco so I can't really help and I've only been a sysco employee for a very short time. I hope you get the job.

You will see the transportation Mgr, thats protocol, he will sign off on you then on to the road test, drug, physical, strength test, if they are looking for a good man, you are in Bro!!!! I have my problems with this company, however, I love the idea that you will be with us soon, it is a good job, PM me and tell me what OPCO you will be with...ie; Sysco OK , Sysco AR, ect.

Edit: Duh...I know..lol, go get em Chicken Man, just be yourself and be enthusiastic.

Chickenman if need names or help this opco is where I work and live less than 35 miles away from where you are talking about.

Thanks 2wd, good to see someone else from the Atlanta area here. I sent you a PM.

Thanks to everyone else too, interviewed this morning and I feel that it went very well. I guess the lady in HR was busy, so the only person I spoke with today was the transportation manager. He was very polite, and seemed like a good man to work for, so that is good! I asked after the interview what the next step in the hiring process is and he told me that he would give everything to HR and they would if they havent already do a background check and things like that. He said it typically takes about 3-4 weeks to get someone in the door. I didn't ask him if he was going to hire me, I hate sounding desperate, but when I left I just felt a little confused, lol. I guess I will wait a few days and call the lady in HR and see what she has to say. Thanks again to everyone, hoping to join the Sysco family here soon, keeping my fingers crossed!

I got off work at 4 this morning, got home and in bed around 5. Then I got a 9:15 wake up call from Sysco HR with a job offer! Yay me!

I got off work at 4 this morning, got home and in bed around 5. Then I got a 9:15 wake up call from Sysco HR with a job offer! Yay me!

Congrats CM, welcome to Sysco, we didn't work today, the system went down, all friday routes go out Saturday am, welcome to the **** storm...LOL!

Welcome to HELL. Lol it's ok I guess. Are merger don't take affect till April 1st but I'm thinking about transfering. But welcome to Sysco chicken man

Hello grocerythrower, I'm looking for an opportunity to work for Sysco. I'm in Gwinett and I'm looking to move south if they hire me.

Hello grocerythrower, I'm looking for an opportunity to work for Sysco. I'm in Gwinett and I'm looking to move south if they hire me.

Hello Brother, first, welcome to the mighty TruckingBoards, and second, where is Gwinett? I know you will succeed if getting on here is what you really desire, it ain't too bad, they just gotta get the bugs worked out of our computer system for starters.

Thanks everyone, even though some of your comments are starting to scare me, lol. It's just groceries though, so there's nothing to be scared of!

The lady in HR was supposed to email me some papers to fill out and fax back to her yesterday, but I guess she forgot or didn't get around to it so I'll be looking for it Monday. Maybe the hiring process will take long enough and I can make it where I'm at until April 22nd...They offered us all of our unearned PTO pay if we stay until they move everything to NC, so I'm looking at around $3k if I'm able to stay that long...if not its all good, I know for a fact that my boss knew this was going down when he hired me, and I left a stable job to come here to a temporary gig. So I'll work out a 2 week notice for them, but I've got to look out for myself and I gotta have a good job. I'm looking forward to starting at Sysco, I'm looking for a good place to work and somewhere that I can have a future with, here's to hoping that Sysco is the answer!

Thanks everyone, even though some of your comments are starting to scare me, lol. It's just groceries though, so there's nothing to be scared of!

The lady in HR was supposed to email me some papers to fill out and fax back to her yesterday, but I guess she forgot or didn't get around to it so I'll be looking for it Monday. Maybe the hiring process will take long enough and I can make it where I'm at until April 22nd...They offered us all of our unearned PTO pay if we stay until they move everything to NC, so I'm looking at around $3k if I'm able to stay that long...if not its all good, I know for a fact that my boss knew this was going down when he hired me, and I left a stable job to come here to a temporary gig. So I'll work out a 2 week notice for them, but I've got to look out for myself and I gotta have a good job. I'm looking forward to starting at Sysco, I'm looking for a good place to work and somewhere that I can have a future with, here's to hoping that Sysco is the answer!

Like anything else CM, its all in what you make of it, I have been guilty of letting stuff get to me pretty often, I'm trying to change that, when I do, and I have started, it will make me a better person, I hope you get the 3k, that would be nice!

As long as your body hangs in there you will have a future here, or untill you have the seniority to bid shuttle, IDK what the wait is in your house, or if you are real ambitious you can think about a mgmt job when or if you get to hurting or just get plain tired of throwing groceries, and want to move up the ladder.

Like anything else CM, its all in what you make of it, I have been guilty of letting stuff get to me pretty often, I'm trying to change that, when I do, and I have started, it will make me a better person, I hope you get the 3k, that would be nice!

As long as your body hangs in there you will have a future here, or untill you have the seniority to bid shuttle, IDK what the wait is in your house, or if you are real ambitious you can think about a mgmt job when or if you get to hurting or just get plain tired of throwing groceries, and want to move up the ladder.

Yeah GT, speaking of hurting my damn feet hurt like hell! I think I remember seeing you posting something about your dogs barking a bit too much too. I used to always buy cheap boots from Walmart but the last pair I bought are DieHards from Sears. They seem a little better but I'm thinking I should quit being cheap and finally spend some money on some quality kickers and maybe some inserts would help too...Any suggestions?

As far as shuttle or management, that is something I will be interested in for sure in the future. I'll be 33 in a few days, so right now I want to make some $$$. I've averaged around $2600 gross every 2 weeks where I'm at now, and I believe I will be able to do the same or better at Sysco. I've got 5 boys and the oldest will be in high school next year... I don't remember eating nearly as much as these kids do when I was their age, lol. As far as the pto goes, I've pretty much decided I'm not working any more Saturday nights at my current job. I'm on a route that leaves out around midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning and we normally get back around 2 in the afternoon...I think I might just use as much pto taking off every Saturday night until I leave if I can't get the payout in the end.

Yeah GT, speaking of hurting my damn feet hurt like hell! I think I remember seeing you posting something about your dogs barking a bit too much too. I used to always buy cheap boots from Walmart but the last pair I bought are DieHards from Sears. They seem a little better but I'm thinking I should quit being cheap and finally spend some money on some quality kickers and maybe some inserts would help too...Any suggestions?

As far as shuttle or management, that is something I will be interested in for sure in the future. I'll be 33 in a few days, so right now I want to make some $$$. I've averaged around $2600 gross every 2 weeks where I'm at now, and I believe I will be able to do the same or better at Sysco. I've got 5 boys and the oldest will be in high school next year... I don't remember eating nearly as much as these kids do when I was their age, lol. As far as the pto goes, I've pretty much decided I'm not working any more Saturday nights at my current job. I'm on a route that leaves out around midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning and we normally get back around 2 in the afternoon...I think I might just use as much pto taking off every Saturday night until I leave if I can't get the payout in the end.

As for the feet, I have been diagnosed with planter facheitis, IDK how to spell it, I recomend Red Wings, worth every penny for the boot ya get, they wear well on our ramps and they are tough, comfortable and easy to break in.