R&L | I just got hired In South Bend what can I expect?

chipracker65

TB Lurker
Credits
I just got hired at South Bend terminal. I have abt 10 yrs LTL exp. I worked at Old Dominion for last 7. I loved my job there, but was laid off with 8 other guys. I have heard R&L was a pretty decent company. I know it will have the standard moans and growns, and its what you make of it, but just curious what I can expect.

You can expect to shape up or ship out!!! Imagine OD as high school and you are now in the Marines. Your small mistakes will only be tolerated for a short period of time. You will no doubt be written up once or twice a week. Pay very close attention to how you sign your bills,i.e piece count,condition of freight,dimensions of pallet,unprotected freight,and most importantly,call in all your haz-mat bills. If you miss a coma or period in the haz-mat description you will be written up. Anytime over 15 minutes at a stop,call dispatcher and inform him of delay, Trucks are tracked on GPS and they can pull up sattelite image and see exactly where you are sitting. As far as working here it is a good company to work for,just a little anal about everything.

Hey R&L PHI... He's working in Indiana not under the Sponge Bob Regime of Dictators in the Northeast corridor. He should be fine as long as he minds his P's and Q's...and oh yeah like you said dot you N.O.S. and other little HAZMAT innuendos.

Welcome aboard chipracker65

You can expect to shape up or ship out!!! Imagine OD as high school and you are now in the Marines. Your small mistakes will only be tolerated for a short period of time. You will no doubt be written up once or twice a week. Pay very close attention to how you sign your bills,i.e piece count,condition of freight,dimensions of pallet,unprotected freight,and most importantly,call in all your haz-mat bills. If you miss a coma or period in the haz-mat description you will be written up. Anytime over 15 minutes at a stop,call dispatcher and inform him of delay, Trucks are tracked on GPS and they can pull up sattelite image and see exactly where you are sitting. As far as working here it is a good company to work for,just a little anal about everything.
We just have memos hanging all over that says what you said except at the end it's says something about being terminated if it's not done right.:nutkick:

It's like any place you go that is Nation wide. An A hole here and there. In Vegas we are just over worked. Nobody up are rear end. We are reminded of things from time to time. Only P&D Drivers I see get write ups is over Log Books. And one that was fired for late and no shows. And Blowing a .05 before coming to work. And he was let go for not being able to work that day. Never been wrote up for my work. And I have made some good mistakes. Putting the wrong PRO# on the freight. One went to HI and one went to TX. I got the bills mix up after I put the pro # on the bill. Then put the wrong one on the freight. I have heard the OD Term in Vegas is a pain in the rear to work. So who knows. Just do it the way they want and you will see. If there is an A hole at your term.

yes unfortunately i was hired as a combo driver. 16.20 to start. But our terminal was turned into a break bulk terminal. and the volume of freight has REALLY increased. they hired 8 new driver, and still hiring. i was 1st hired, so at least I am ahead of all those guys which helps when we bid

Not so bad

yes unfortunately i was hired as a combo driver. 16.20 to start. But our terminal was turned into a break bulk terminal. and the volume of freight has REALLY increased. they hired 8 new driver, and still hiring. i was 1st hired, so at least I am ahead of all those guys which helps when we bid

Vegas start P&D $16.99 at $20.64 end of 1st year. Not sure what combo pays for hourly.