I Need a New Truck. Any Recommendations?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5115

My old truck is on its last leg and I must face the reality, I need a new(er) one. Brand new is out of the question given the prices of them these days so a used one it shall be. I'm thinking 3/4 ton diesel pick up or a van would be good but I doubt that an acceptable van could be found. I know everyone has their opinions on which is better so what I want to concentrate on is what should I stay away from? And how many miles is too many on a diesel engine for one of these smaller beasts? I like 4WD but don't have it on my van so I don't think it would be a must unless it was included at a reasonable cost.
Thanks for the help.

I'd like to see $10,000 but I expect it to be more. I still have some cans buried out back so if a really nice truck came along I would be able to swing it. I really just faced the facts here and have just started fishing so I am clueless as to what fair market is on anything.

Take a look at Craigslist in your area, give you a good idea of what things are going for.
Yep, and Kelly Blue book on line. I'm good with paying fair market value and all I just need to know what drive trains are problematic and at what age does a diesel engine become a problem and if there are other issues to beware of. Like design flaws, difficult to work on, etc.

looks like it'll need tires soon. also, one of the power stroke engines and from what year, was problematic. at least, a former co-worker of mine had (or still) has one, and this is who told me.

i'd be leery of any "added computer chips" to ANY vehicle....was it installed correctly..?? was it set up correctly..?? i'd always prefer stock, untouched...

All the Powerstrokes I ever worked on were oil leakers an burners. And aV-8 diesel was never a god idea in my opinion. I had to get creative because the engine bay is very tight.

Didn't ever get my hands on any of the Duramax engines, so I can't comment there.

Same for the newer Cummins engines in the Dodges.

The ISB in my experience is a very good engine. There was a problem with core shift during casting the cylinder blocks on the early ones, but they should have worked out of the market by now.

The ISB has been used in many applications besides pickups, including medium duty trucks. It has proven to be very versatile. As installed in the Dodge pickups they were de-tuned, and had potential to produce much more power. The automatic tranny was not such a good choice, as there was some problem with a weak output shaft or something. The ISB's in industrial applications were mated to Allison automatics, a very good combination.

My Dodge has the 24 valve engine, 250hp, 505ftlbs torque, with the 6 speed NVG gearbox. I've towed 22,000lbs with it (total weight, camper, race trailer with car, tools, spares, fuel) never wanted for more power, and got 19mpg with it.

I just turned 125k, wore out the front pads at about 75k, tires at about 80.

Like pro says, watch out for modded trucks, a sure sign of abuse.

Ford chassis, Dodge Cummins with the Allison trans from a GMC. Short of that combination all diesel pickups have a major compromise or two to make.

For example I could do this in a heartbeat but what about the miles on the drive train?
2000 Ford F-250 4x4 7.3 POWERSTROKE

I wouldn't be afraid to buy that. The 7.3 Powerstroke was the last good diesel motor Ford had. Stay away from the 6.0, 6.2 and 6.4. I'm not a Ford guy, so I don't know anything about the drivetrain, but 151K on a 7.3 is still low miles.

Stay away from the Chevy diesel, unless it's a Duramax. (2000 and later) The 6.5 diesel was a POS. The Duramax with the auto Allison is a really good truck.

The 5.9 Dodge Cummins is a beast, but the later models are really holding their value. I bought a 2004 Quad cab, 4X4, 5.9 in 2006 for $23.5K. It had 35K miles on the clock. I just sold it last year for $20K with 135K miles. The auto transmission is the week point of the 2000-2007 Dodges. Mine was a 6 speed stick.

00303_lmvrq6RL4Mu_600x450.jpg

I've never been real big on green, but it will fit in at work.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy that. The 7.3 Powerstroke was the last good diesel motor Ford had. Stay away from the 6.0, 6.2 and 6.4. I'm not a Ford guy, so I don't know anything about the drivetrain, but 151K on a 7.3 is still low miles.

Stay away from the Chevy diesel, unless it's a Duramax. (2000 and later) The 6.5 diesel was a POS. The Duramax with the auto Allison is a really good truck.

The 5.9 Dodge Cummins is a beast, but the later models are really holding their value. I bought a 2004 Quad cab, 4X4, 5.9 in 2006 for $23.5K. It had 35K miles on the clock. I just sold it last year for $20K with 135K miles. The auto transmission is the week point of the 2000-2007 Dodges. Mine was a 6 speed stick.

00303_lmvrq6RL4Mu_600x450.jpg

I've never been real big on green, but it will fit in at work.
Took a look at that 2000 F250. It's in pretty good shape. Maybe I could get a decal for it off of the company. Only rust is on the RR fender well and can be seen in the pics he has in the ad. Very little rust accumulation underneath and the interior is not too shabby. The bed is Rhino coated and is not too bad either. So, what about that $15,000 price tag? I haven't found anything in its category just yet to compare. He does say he's asking more than Kelly Blue book for it but says it's worth the extra. He has had it for sale for about a month now and would probably give a little on the price. I know the guy's going to talk up the truck, which he did. He said something about many of them being oil leakers and that this one is dry. Before I buy I would have me mechanic take a look at it too. He had it chipped to pull a race car trailer and only had it since October. I'd say if he and I could come to a price I'd take it.

OK, Kelly and NADA have it valued at $11,000. Search goes on.

Nice truck but I agree with EX396, about 5 too many. I might give 11 since the mileage is that low but that's it. There have been a couple come up but the people don't respond. I'm guessing they're sold but they don't want to answer the phone or the E-Mail.