I Need a New Truck. Any Recommendations?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date

Twenty grand for a 14 year old Ford with 90,000 miles on it. A steal.

Of the money from your checking account.

Looks a little like mine with more miles and a little stiff on the price.

This guy's truck has been for sale for three months now but hey, it has the, "Coveted 7.3 and Ford Motorcraft windshield wipers". :hysterical:
2000 F-250 Powerstroke 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Fourteen grand for a 14 year old rustbucket with over 150,000 miles on it. Another steal.

I see these Fords with no room under the hood to do maintenance and repairs and it makes me glad I don't work on them anymore. In 2007 the county road shop I worked at bought several brand new F-250 pickups with the diesel engine. If the turbo had to be removed the factory manual said to take the cab off.

What?

Take the cab off to r&r the turbo?

That is just stupid.

Why didn't the engineers at Ford put an access panel on the floor?

To take the turbo off of the Cummins engine in my Ram you open the hood, unbolt it, and take it off. Just like that. Of course in 13 years and 125,000 miles all I have ever had to do was change the oil, replace the front brake pads, replace the batteries a couple years ago, and replace the tires once.

Take the cab off? Come on.

Sheesh!

Ford's "Better Idea".

LMAO!!!

Hey they must have made it easy to take the cab off??

Saw a F250 on craigslist here, where the guy put a Cummins in it askin 20k

LMAO!!!

Hey they must have made it easy to take the cab off??

Well they say there are only 4 bolts holding it to the frame.

But.

They.

Fail.

To.

Mention.

The.

Other.

Stuff.

The front clip, i.e. the bumper, grille, core support, radiator, CAC, air conditioning condenser, fenders, inner fenders, hood, batteries, fuel lines and the associated wiring.

Child's play.

Saw a F250 on craigslist here, where the guy put a Cummins in it askin 20k

I have mentioned that swap before. Chevy guys are doing it too.

Gotta be a reason.

In my humble opinion, the Cummins swap actually increases the value of the pickup. Historically V-8 diesel engines were problematic, compared to inline diesels. The early attempts GM made by converting the gasoline engine were a disaster. The Duramax is a better engine, to be sure, but there are still issues.

Same for the various Powerstroke engines. The glow plugs need to be changed periodically, and are usually rusted in place. A lot of Ford diesel owners have asked me if I would consider taking on removing the broken ones they tried to change themselves and then change the others. They always go back and give it another go after I tell them it would be time and materials. And I have never seen one that didn't hemorrhage oil.

So when that one ad said it didn't leak a drop, I had to laugh.

Another GM V-8 diesel that was a flop was the 8.2 liter Fuel Pincher medium duty engine from the 1980's. I did the headbolt upgrade on about 30 of them, and they still had head gasket problems. I also changed about 10 of them out in GMC 6500 medium duty trucks. They were tucked tight to the cowl. You had to either cut a hole in the floor or beat it back from the outside to do the head gaskets. The floor had an access panel to get at the turbo and the bell housing bolts, something that Ford didn't do on their pickups. Changing a starter was difficult at best.

The phrase boat anchor comes to mind.

We were really happy to see the fleet get changed out to the International medium duty trucks with the inline diesel engine. Much easier to work on, and a thousand times more reliable.

Oh, and better torque too.

Here it is

2003 F250

I don't know what all that mumbo jumbo is about this and that in the ad but..

I get leary of stuff like that, my father in law just had a high performance motor put in his 87 Silverado at Rick Hendricks "City Chevrolet", and even they screwed it up, taking it back out now and putting regular 350 in it....what an ordeal he's had dealing with those "Professionals" They can win multiple Cup titles but, apparently can't put an engine in an old truck!!

There is a company called "destroked" that specializes in putting Cummins in Fords. Seems to have it down to a science. Just bring your big wallet!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the motor alone cost $20,000.

You can get a rebuilt 6bt 12 valve Cummins engine or about $3,000.

A later ISB 24 valve will set you back about $4,000.
That is surprising low if you ask me. And that is without a core exchange of the same engine?

These ads make me feel like I got a steal and I still got a 170,000 mile truck!!

Gas is good unless you want to two a heavy trailer.

We had the 460 in are 250's.... constantly over 8K on loads...lol. I miss the one I drove.
we use to move a train car full of potatoes with a F250/ 460...that thing was a beast!!

I may go that route, it would take me a lifetime to put as many miles as some of these used diesels have, and at 15k cheaper, I ain't worried about 5mpg difference

Like this for 9500, with a 454, low miles

00u0u_4k9HnuOBItU_600x450.jpg

00202_iyTAULjIzg8_600x450.jpg

In 1979 I bought a Dodge 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive, 4 speed tranny with the granny low gear.
I was able to go up hills in mud that 4x4's had trouble with,as long as I had some weight in the back.

That truck lasted 10 years,but because of the salt my county uses in the winter,the darn thing rotted out.
If I lived in the South I think I'd still have that truck.

we use to move a train car full of potatoes with a F250/ 460...that thing was a beast!!

I may go that route, it would take me a lifetime to put as many miles as some of these used diesels have, and at 15k cheaper, I ain't worried about 5mpg difference

Thats what I would do... im telling ya what; ive had many trucks and "that was the very best by far"

In 1979 I bought a Dodge 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive, 4 speed tranny with the granny low gear.
I was able to go up hills in mud that 4x4's had trouble with,as long as I had some weight in the back.

That truck lasted 10 years,but because of the salt my county uses in the winter,the darn thing rotted out.
If I lived in the South I think I'd still have that truck.
You'd look good riding around in this AP...nice old southern truck
1982 Dodge D150 stepside pickup
00h0h_eB9N4JBLZum_600x450.jpg