I need a new truck. Part 2

WildHeart

TB Veteran
Credits
Well the damage has been done...
y9aru7eg.jpg

datujype.jpg

...and we are now in the market for a new SUV. The insurance will be totalling it out.

We have to find one fairly quickly as we won't have this rental but for 30 days.

Here is my problem. As you all know we had to put a new transmission in our 03 Yukon. I want to avoid similar problems and in order to get the financing we have to go a year or two newer at least. It MUST have at minimum, 7 passenger seating so that means a 3rd row.
We don't much care for the smaller SUV's that as an afterthought cram a tiny bench in the rear with no cargo space, however it doesn't have to be a hulking Excursion.
I loved my Yukon except for the fact it is now a fortune cookie.
Looking for anything within 200 miles of the Grand Junction area in Colorado.

Go....

Sent from my drone magnet

OH yes.. and our budget is around 11K as I would like to keep the loan short and within our payment range.

y9aru7eg.jpg

datujype.jpg

...and we are now in the market for a new SUV. The insurance will be totalling it out.

We have to find one fairly quickly as we won't have this rental but for 30 days.

Here is my problem. As you all know we had to put a new transmission in our 03 Yukon. I want to avoid similar problems and in order to get the financing we have to go a year or two newer at least. It MUST have at minimum, 7 passenger seating so that means a 3rd row.
We don't much care for the smaller SUV's that as an afterthought cram a tiny bench in the rear with no cargo space, however it doesn't have to be a hulking Excursion.

Go....

I have had two Expeditions. They both rode/drove great. A friend of mine bought an Excursion. It rides even better than my Expeditions. Enough room for a couple of three ring circuses...at the same time.

9y5uqupy.jpg

Sweetie, maybe we should buy the one that hit us. It seemed to be a little more structurally sound.

damn, sorry to hear you have such short time. upon seeing the damage from your vehicle, it does not appear to have frame damage, but then again, if the price to repair is too much, then of course the insurance company will total it out.

i wish you both well, even though your time IS limited, sometimes to pay for an extra month for the rental may be something to consider, so that you do not make a hasty decision.

one last thing to say or ask..i hope everyone is ok...??

Yes, everyone is okay..I will be around to terrorize you still Pro1. :). Thank God our children were not in the car as my son typically sits there behind Brian..his little head would have been at the epicenter of the impact, where the door was pushed in the farthest. Brian and I got jostled around but we are alright, Brian's quick manuver up onto the embankment saved us from a head on.

Craigslist is a possibility. The classifieds in the papers don't have much anymore due to Craigslist & other online sites. I bought an 05 Tahoe last year with 87K miles for $11.5K. I bought it from an individual but looked for about a year before I found it. It is a base model but still has more options than I need. I had a 99 Tahoe that I kept driving while I was looking. Most of the SUVs have lots of miles which is okay if they have been maintained but some are overpriced for the mileage. The Suburbans & Yukon KLs are okay if you need the room but use a little more fuel & take up more space. The 07 & later body style Yukons & Tahoes are priced much higher than 06 & earlier models. Most of the 06 & earlier models have from 100K to 200K miles.

y9aru7eg.jpg

datujype.jpg

Go....

We bought an 05 Dodge Durango this past year. It seats in 7-8 with the 3rd row. We paid $12500 for it. Been a very good truck.

I know you said your probably have to go new or newer, but the Durango's are known for the 3rd row seating. Just a thought.

The Expeditions and Excursions have even more transmission issues according to my research.

May be a territorial thing. Between my two and three friends including the one that bought the Excursion, neither of us has ever had a tranny problem. Note however, we live on flat ground.

1st gen ( -'08) Honda Pilot..available FWD or AWD. It may be fairly high mileage to get into your price range as they don't depreciate like Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

The first gen Pilots were assembled in Lincoln, Alabama or Ontario, CAN. Very good (dependable) V6 engine and transaxle.

3rd row seat isn't what you'll find in a 'burb but it's larger than a 4runner.

In any event you are much less likely to have high mileage powertrain problems like many seem to accept from GM and FORD products as the norm.

Your title says "Truck" but then you had a Yukon and looking at other similar products. Do you need to tow more than 5K# or are you looking for a traditional truck body on frame construction?

The year range should be 04 or newer, I have ridden in the durangos and they just don't feel as roomy to us, especially packed with kids, dogs and camping gear, lol. Maybe I am being just too picky, but Yukons, Tahoes preferably Z71 if we go that route are almost a must. Of all the SUV models out there, if we are going to have transmission problems the most inexpensive IS the Chevy tranny to have.

1st gen ( -'08) Honda Pilot..available FWD or AWD. It may be fairly high mileage to get into your price range as they don't depreciate like Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

The first gen Pilots were assembled in Lincoln, Alabama or Ontario, CAN. Very good (dependable) V6 engine and transaxle.

3rd row seat isn't what you'll find in a 'burb but it's larger than a 4runner.

In any event you are much less likely to have high mileage powertrain problems like many seem to accept from GM and FORD products as the norm.

Your title says "Truck" but then you had a Yukon and looking at other similar products. Do you need to tow more than 5K# or are you looking for a traditional truck body on frame construction?

We won't be towing much other than a small camper or pop up. I said truck only because I was starting a thread off of another thread (tongue in cheek). It will have to be a small school bus for our "Brady bunch, starter kit" as Brian likes to call our brood.

Yeah, I'm not the smallest guy in the world. The Durangos and foreign models don't comfortably fit me for the most part. Towing is a must also, we don't have the camper yet but it is coming at some point. I know some of the newer Japanese imports like the Nissan Armada and such have more interior room but most of those are still too new and therefore out of our price range. Of the two domestic camps, Ford and GM (have had way to many problems out of the Dodge vehicles I've owned to ever go down that road again) I'd politically rather buy a ford because they never took any government bailout money. However, up until the LAST couple of years, which I can't afford to buy, the Ford's just seem chincy inside and not as well apointed. I know, I'm a jackdonkey when it comes to buying a car. Oh well, we'll find another one we like, I'm sure.

Married to the luckiest woman alive!

We won't be towing much other than a small camper or pop up. I said truck only because I was starting a thread off of another thread (tongue in cheek). It will have to be a small school bus for our "Brady bunch, starter kit" as Brian likes to call our brood.

If that were my criteria I'd be looking at a 2000-2005 Suburban because they depreciate "Like a Rock" and it's still a bunch of vehicle. Get something in the $5K range and use the other $6K for the additional gas and rainy day repair fund.