I think I have anxeity

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi everyone,
Today was a long long long day at work any longer and I'll be down at Sysco ready to apply. Right now I'm enjoying my 8-9 hours off ha-ha! The route I was on today was mostly bulk stuff i.e. grocery stores, but I was loaded real heavy and they had us going all over the place and the guy who normally has this route ended up quitting, well I would to if I had the route he had, it's kind of a pain in the @$$ route, lots of grocery stores that all have delivery windows and the way the route was set up and loaded you couldn't make it to all the stores on time. Eventually you were going to be late. Well the stores are okay with that, as long as your not to late and call ahead and let them know.

Any how I guess what really kills me is I'm always worried about making my delivery times, and yet sometimes there's nothing you can do you just run out of time. Any how I was backing into a loading dock and today a lot of my backing set ups were for absolute crap. Any how I was backing the truck into a grocery store dock and the guy who was working with me today said "Do you have anxiety in stressful situations?" I said "Yes, yes I do." He goes "Just breath it will be alright." I do tend to get antsy, because I just want to go, get in and out quickly other customers need there stuff. Really I guess it aint no thing, probably go faster not being antsy, because when you are always moving fast that's when stuff goes wrong.

Like today we had a stop at a grocery store and there loading dock was kind of goffy it wasn't built right, well I toppled my first pallet. It fell back words into the trailer off the back of my pallet jack a whole pallet of wine stacked 8 feet high or something like that. Actually it sounded worse then it really was.
When we got back finally after the long day I swept out the trailer.

Tomorrow I have a plan for my route, I hope it works.

Yeah, breathing is all you can do, if you take pills for anxiety it will slow you down even more :)

Sometimes just get out of the cab and take a look, breathe, and then you see how to do it.

After a while you'll reach the point where you've run out of f**** to give. I used to be the same about delivery times too. Look at it this way: You don't do the routing, you don't build the pallets or load the trucks, you don't set some unrealistic back door time at a store and expect everyone to meet it. Do the best you can and it'll fall into place. You're bringing product THEY need to make money. If they want it they'll let you in, if they aren't happy they'll complain enough to get it fixed. As long as you aren't screwing around then all you can do is all you can do. If the route's set up to fail it'll fail no matter who's on it.
As for the backing, screw everyone else. Block traffic if you have to, pull up as often as you need to, and get out as much as you have to. I've been driving for 16 yrs and once in a while still screw myself with a bad setup. All you can do is stay calm and work your way out of it, hopefully without hitting anything.