SAIA | I Was Fired Without Warning

Rich,

When you stepped foot in that Saia truck without permission you made yourself available to the industry!! But the driver who gave you a ride should have the same fate as yourself!! No unauthorized persons are allowed in or on Saia equipment!! Since you were not on duty and you didn’t get permission you were sad to say an unauthorized person!!

Richard,

I didn’t realize it until now but you are the guy who posted your name and pic on another post!! I have to be honest BIG MISTAKE!! When I saw that I wondered how long until you got your walking papers!! It could be coincidence or not!! Everyone on here pretty much has screen names to protect identity!!

GOOD LUCK with your situation but being a former SAIA driver in clt I can tell you that Rick O'dell doesn't give a crap about you.back in 2000 Myself and 2 other drivers gave 227 sales leads in 2 weeks.after no response from the sales reps.I went through the chain to see if any of our leads produced or were no good due to pricing or such.I finally called Rick and discussed the situation with him and somehow he spun it around like it was my fault.shortly after that myself and 2 of the other bottomfeeders got laid -off.after 2 weeks they got called back but I sat at home.They hired 3 off the street within 6 months.Handbook states any layoff b4 they hire off street within 6 months they must call you back.I called HR and they never returned my calls.contacted an attorney he stated since nc is a right to work state that I'm screwed.HOPE YOUR SITUATION TURNS OUT DIFFERENT .

Trust me on this one. You are NOT the first to have the tables turned on them by management that has been caught in a corner. The sad part is you are not going to be the LAST.

Richard,

I didn’t realize it until now but you are the guy who posted your name and pic on another post!! I have to be honest BIG MISTAKE!! When I saw that I wondered how long until you got your walking papers!! It could be coincidence or not!! Everyone on here pretty much has screen names to protect identity!!

I know everyone in Sacramento and northern California knows who Skeeter is. I would never be afraid to let my identity known. If anyone don't like what I say or believe it's just to bad.

Sounds like typical saia screwing another good employee they dont give a s$%# about anyone who works there!!!!!

It isn't suprizing to hear of this happening. People in management who are lucky to find their way out of their office chair make decisions without considering the consequences of their actions. It wasn't their idea so it was wrong. I would suggest they would have had the driver who ran out of ours proceed onward while under the guise of looking for motel or safe haven. It seems those individuals who made the decision to fire our fellow driver are refugees from some government management job.

If this happened exactly the way you said it did, and your file is as clean as you say it is, then your manager is a friggin' moron...he deserves everything he has coming at him....what goes around, etc..

:TR10driving03:
Richard,

As much as I hate to admit, I thought the same thing when you first posted here. So many other Saia drivers that I know are very careful about what they say and do because of repercussions such as this. Good luck to you TR.
It is unfortunate that this happened, and I wish you the best.

i think the chicken had it right, you can't be in a truck unless your in the process of being dispatched.................i got in trouble for trying to catch a ride from one side of the yard to the other[it was raining]..........with that being said, i think you got a raw deal.................saia wants a driver from the neck down....don't try to think....good luck in the future

Rich, I worked for Saia, I won't say where or when but I will say that you have a snowballs chance in hell to get your job back. I went in to work at Saia oneday, went to hook up AND THE YARD JOCKEY told me the TERMINAL WANTED TO SEE ME! I knew it was Bad news. He told me that Safety was suspending me. He could not elaberate. I went home, I waited until the next day, nothing. I called back to my manager and he said he will get back with me, nothing. I called HR and they said talk to your manager, who by the way was fired about 10 months later for being a theif. I finally gave up because I did not like how Saia opperated. They Run unsafe old equiptment. Drivers snitch you out on a company hotline number. Saia will Fail my friend. They will be bought out or sold. Without freight, no work and revenue. They hire theives and management does not care 2 ***** about you. I was told to drive triples in the snow/ice. They want you to drive 500 miles non stop without a break. They put you on hold( cell phone) wake you up to do a run after being sent home from your terminal the night before with no sleep. Saia runs their operation like it is the 70's. Saia will go under, as for you ,good luck! Bad timing right now on getting a 53.5Cent job per mile. Everyone is laying off or cutting runs including Saia. You may never make that again and either will I. I was not warned or written up or suspended like you. They do not follow protacall. They make up the rules and if they do not like you for whatever, goodbye. I have moved on and thank Saia for the experience they gave me and I have had no problem with getting a job, BUT I won't make no where near the same and either will you that I did at Saia, unless the economy picks up in a few years and company's like ABF, Conway, Ups, Fed ex, yellow,Old Dominion, etc. start hiring again. You will have a long road to recovery, finacially, you may have to work two jobs because a lot of these trucking companys think that $16-18 an hr. and 31-41 cent an hour is good. You will find out the hard way like me. I survived after Saia, 3 jobs later but still miss the paychecks. Everything in life happens for a reason. You may want to fight for your job with your Regional Hr Director. William Shoemacher is or was one of them. When I fought for my job he too gave me no reason, other than that if he gave me my job back he would have to give other people their jobs back. He then told me that where would draw the line on hiring and firing and letting people back. He Like everyone else at Saia's corporate level is full of **** and like I said people will walk in work one day and the place will be shut down like CF. Every dog has its day and Saia will be no more. Safety first my ***. Saia is so corrupt, it will catch up with them. Oh by the way, my terminal manager was fired for Stealing and running the place to the ground. Live and learn..... at will employees have no chance today, the right to hire or fire without a reason.

Rich, I worked for Saia, I won't say where or when but I will say that you have a snowballs chance in hell to get your job back. I went in to work at Saia oneday, went to hook up AND THE YARD JOCKEY told me the TERMINAL WANTED TO SEE ME! I knew it was Bad news. He told me that Safety was suspending me. He could not elaberate. I went home, I waited until the next day, nothing. I called back to my manager and he said he will get back with me, nothing. I called HR and they said talk to your manager, who by the way was fired about 10 months later for being a theif. I finally gave up because I did not like how Saia opperated. They Run unsafe old equiptment. Drivers snitch you out on a company hotline number. Saia will Fail my friend. They will be bought out or sold. Without freight, no work and revenue. They hire theives and management does not care 2 ***** about you. I was told to drive triples in the snow/ice. They want you to drive 500 miles non stop without a break. They put you on hold( cell phone) wake you up to do a run after being sent home from your terminal the night before with no sleep. Saia runs their operation like it is the 70's. Saia will go under, as for you ,good luck! Bad timing right now on getting a 53.5Cent job per mile. Everyone is laying off or cutting runs including Saia. You may never make that again and either will I. I was not warned or written up or suspended like you. They do not follow protacall. They make up the rules and if they do not like you for whatever, goodbye. I have moved on and thank Saia for the experience they gave me and I have had no problem with getting a job, BUT I won't make no where near the same and either will you that I did at Saia, unless the economy picks up in a few years and company's like ABF, Conway, Ups, Fed ex, yellow,Old Dominion, etc. start hiring again. You will have a long road to recovery, finacially, you may have to work two jobs because a lot of these trucking companys think that $16-18 an hr. and 31-41 cent an hour is good. You will find out the hard way like me. I survived after Saia, 3 jobs later but still miss the paychecks. Everything in life happens for a reason. You may want to fight for your job with your Regional Hr Director. William Shoemacher is or was one of them. When I fought for my job he too gave me no reason, other than that if he gave me my job back he would have to give other people their jobs back. He then told me that where would draw the line on hiring and firing and letting people back. He Like everyone else at Saia's corporate level is full of **** and like I said people will walk in work one day and the place will be shut down like CF. Every dog has its day and Saia will be no more. Safety first my ***. Saia is so corrupt, it will catch up with them. Oh by the way, my terminal manager was fired for Stealing and running the place to the ground. Live and learn..... at will employees have no chance today, the right to hire or fire without a reason.

Well said. All working saia employees need to learn by what happens to others as it is a very likely to happen to one of them (without warning) and they be in the same boat. Don't get me wrong. I do believe in giving a hard days work but when you and your workforce are treated this way, I do not see the point in "going the extra mile" just for some "brownie points". There is no real future with saia, just a good paycheck. I would rather make one fourth the money and have a small piece of security rather than the undo stress, hate, and blame being put on my shoulders because someone else can never learn from dumb ideas that will only benefit the people at the corporate level.

Stop ya B!TCH!N. everything is everyone elses falt. I just came to work and got fired. I'm calling B.S. Now in the case of Rich that man caught a rough deal I think we all agree on that. Yes, Saia has problems but hell who does not have them. I will not let you throw the good people that work here under the bus. I think you guys would be unhappy whatever the situation was. This is truckin and you ether deal with it or it deals with you. Grow a sack and take responsibility. Saia could call me and fire me today and will not lose one minute of sleep. I know the lord provides. I thank Saia for the opprutunity it provides But at the end of the day I understand my roll. There are some great people that work here and as long as you know our roll you got it made at Saia. I know you guys are a little sour(except Rich hold your head up buddy)but get your mind right and change your attitude. That stuff will give a heart attack.

Stop ya B!TCH!N. everything is everyone elses falt. I just came to work and got fired. I'm calling B.S. Now in the case of Rich that man caught a rough deal I think we all agree on that. Yes, Saia has problems but hell who does not have them. I will not let you throw the good people that work here under the bus. I think you guys would be unhappy whatever the situation was. This is truckin and you ether deal with it or it deals with you. Grow a sack and take responsibility. Saia could call me and fire me today and will not lose one minute of sleep. I know the lord provides. I thank Saia for the opprutunity it provides But at the end of the day I understand my roll. There are some great people that work here and as long as you know our roll you got it made at Saia. I know you guys are a little sour(except Rich hold your head up buddy)but get your mind right and change your attitude. That stuff will give a heart attack.

grow a sack:hysterical::biglaugh:

Every company from A to Z takes care of managers and corporate heads!! They all **** on the working man and don’t give a damn!! If you want to stay out of trouble just do your job and if your not sure what to do CALL SOMEONE and ask!! When you call make sure to get a name!! C. Y. A.!!!

COVER
YOUR
A$$

So I'm guessing you don't give a hoot that you were fired?? I am also guessing that you don't give a hoot about your fellow drivers???? If in fact you do care a rats butt about your job and your fellow workers job, how can you say this kind of crap. Sure every trucking company is in trouble, and sure they are cutting back, but to outright fire someone when they walk in is wrong. All companies know they are in trouble and SHOULD give some notices. Like maybe cutting some of the unneeded upper management, or telling that some lay offs are coming. I think you are over looking the point here. We all know times are bad, but to increase bad times on people by firing them when they arrive for work is just wrong.

So I'm guessing you don't give a hoot that you were fired?? I am also guessing that you don't give a hoot about your fellow drivers???? If in fact you do care a rats butt about your job and your fellow workers job, how can you say this kind of crap. Sure every trucking company is in trouble, and sure they are cutting back, but to outright fire someone when they walk in is wrong. All companies know they are in trouble and SHOULD give some notices. Like maybe cutting some of the unneeded upper management, or telling that some lay offs are coming. I think you are over looking the point here. We all know times are bad, but to increase bad times on people by firing them when they arrive for work is just wrong.

It's obvious you have never operated your own company or buisness that had any success. You can not go advertising that your are going to be having layoffs for any number of reasons(thieft,moral,etc). I have been laid off before and no its not a good feeling I had just bought a house and a car and my wife was with child. That was not the company that I was working for problem it was mine. I had to sack up and hit the bricks to provide.

In short my attitude will not allow any man,company,or situation to determine my outcome. As for just coming in and being fired? IF THAT WAS THE CASE then of course that's wrong.BUT we only have one side of the story. Now when you and others come on posting nothing but ill will towards the company that is not right. If things were all that bad why not leave before they got to you? If I were that unhappy about something I would not continue to do that same thing over and over without making a change

If you personally knew RL, you would know he cares about his fellow drivers. Read his entire post, not just the part that was directed at you. Some people get a raw deal at a company and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I for one am happy with my job (and thankful for it). I'm not drinking the kool-aid, I know there are problems that need addressing. But they pay me well and seem to treat us right in most cases.

Rich,
It's too bad that you had to learn the hard way that few of hese companies care if an employee goes above and beyond the call of duty like you did. You are a good, enthusiastic employee and some other company will probably be glad to have you. It's a shame you'll have to be looking for a job in hard times like these. Best of luck and Merry Christmas to you.

A lot of COs dont like people that knows how to do things on their own.Seems they want you to ask them makes them feel important.Funny thing is some co"s like those that :butt kiss: but in real life they are complete idiots.Ive been through that got fired for it too.But hey Im working now and this co"s equip.sitting in yard.