Yellow | IBT Freight Division Worried About The "Laid Off Vote"!

The international leadership has good reason to worry, the last concession barley squeaked by with the company loosing 300 mil a quarter,( before the layoffs ) , the part time language is a deal breaker, look at all of the abuses of the casual language over the years, a laid off driver would be shooting himself in the foot by voting yes, turn down part-time work loose unemployment, without turning down a callback, that they will most likely never see. Threats, Threats, Threats, This corporation already owes snap-back payments in wages and pension back to the beginning of the agreement, due to a change in ownership, or did I miss seeing an approval vote put to the membership, if they get foreclosed on by the banks, who by the way are most likely the new owners, back wages and benefit claims have to be settled before the banks get a nickle, the banks know this.

For your informatioin Mr. Shoeman, I personally know that an employee of Holland with 20+ years being a teamster and his number on the senority list is less than twenty voted No! Reason being the pension. Losing too much money and will risk losing more if YRCW folds but is tired of being treated like a dog (actually dogs get treated better) by management.

six years to get one year pension credit, yeah, sounds like a winner. i have a clear conscious, 4 votes, original contract, 1stgiveaway, 2nd giveaway, now, this 3rd giveaway, NO

I know, when no vote comes down on this :shit:ty deal.ibt leaders can pull a second vote and not allow laidoffs to vote. pos union already getting ready for another ::shit:: sandwich handout.

Most of the workers at YRC that could retire already have. Here on the west coast, we had something called "RSP" (retirement security program). It was lifetime medical that was free when a teamster retires. In the last contract talks (2008) YRC decided that they would not pay for maintenance of benefits. This terminated the RSP for YRC and ABF workers. (ABF is a ME TOO company, whatever YRC gets, ABF gets it too). It created a divided the workforce into haves and have nots. Then YRC took the pension contributions away, and created more haves and haves nots among the teamsters.
I spent 28 years with the Western Teamsters before I retired in 2009. I do not recall any retirement security program.

Why be scared of the laid off vote. I agree that some will vote yes, some no. Is that any different that the people working now? I have been off a year as of Halloween. I looked long and hard after being clipped, realizing that the job market for driving sucks. Yea, there are plenty of jobs to be had, just not good jobs. If you are in the market to stay out 10, 14, or 21 days at a time, then there are plenty of those jobs. Many solid companies, and i use that term loosely, with what they are paying, a lot of their drivers are only grossing $650-$800 per week. There are many of the laid off hands that I have spoke with intend to vote yes, just to have the chance at returning to work. Even with pension and pay consessions calculated in, like it or not, YRC is still heads above many of the driving oppertunities. Will YRC survive with a NO vote, i doubt it. Will they make it with a YES vote, only time will tell. As for the vote NO and close the doors mentality, the freight will still be in the system somewhere. You are right, it will be in the system. Maybe FedEx, R&L, SAIA, Conway, Estes, who knows. I would hazard a guess that much of it will end up with non-union carriers. The drivers that i know that are still working are on schedule to make $75-$80,000 +/- this year. That is still a good living by most standards. Sure beats being on the Obama Plan.

Why be scared of the laid off vote. I agree that some will vote yes, some no. Is that any different that the people working now? I have been off a year as of Halloween. I looked long and hard after being clipped, realizing that the job market for driving sucks. Yea, there are plenty of jobs to be had, just not good jobs. If you are in the market to stay out 10, 14, or 21 days at a time, then there are plenty of those jobs. Many solid companies, and i use that term loosely, with what they are paying, a lot of their drivers are only grossing $650-$800 per week. There are many of the laid off hands that I have spoke with intend to vote yes, just to have the chance at returning to work. Even with pension and pay consessions calculated in, like it or not, YRC is still heads above many of the driving oppertunities. Will YRC survive with a NO vote, i doubt it. Will they make it with a YES vote, only time will tell. As for the vote NO and close the doors mentality, the freight will still be in the system somewhere. You are right, it will be in the system. Maybe FedEx, R&L, SAIA, Conway, Estes, who knows. I would hazard a guess that much of it will end up with non-union carriers. The drivers that i know that are still working are on schedule to make $75-$80,000 +/- this year. That is still a good living by most standards. Sure beats being on the Obama Plan.

Being on lay-off for close to 2 years, I have taken one of those jobs where I am out 3-4 weeks at a time. The company asks for 2 weeks at least. My boss has
emphasized this to me. I CHOOSE to stay out. The company I work for is a privately owned company that is debt-free. Will I be making as much here as I would be at YRC? I do not know. My mortgage is paid on-time very month. I have insurance that , yes, I pay a part of. But my family is protected by simply knowning that I paid that week. I chose not to count on YRC calling me back, I chose to look forward. If,and that is a big IF, YRC calls me back, I will make that decision then.

I wondered what the percentage of active and close to active employees was compared to laid-off employees. I think the vote will pass. That is not how I voted, but it will pass. I just hope that those that can retire,or are close to retire can. They have earned it and deserve it.

I spent 28 years with the Western Teamsters before I retired in 2009. I do not recall any retirement security program.

A lot of the "old time" teamsters have it (30+ years). Don't know how you weren't aware of it. Maybe your company didn't pay into it, or stopped paying into it. CF,Yellow, Roadway, ABF, Safeway to name a few.

A lot of the "old time" teamsters have it (30+ years). Don't know how you weren't aware of it. Maybe your company didn't pay into it, or stopped paying into it. CF,Yellow, Roadway, ABF, Safeway to name a few.
My 28 years were with Roadway. I retired at age 58 at peer 84. What the WTWT does pay is $600.00 of my $1022.00 a month health care for two people. I am sure I will loose that $600.00 payment if YRC fails. At no time have I ever heard of free lifetime health insurance from the Western Teamsters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe if someone would attend a union meeting, they would know about that information. The Roushe Family package is only optional on the Ford Mustang. :LMAO: