Yellow | IBT Freight Division Worried About The "Laid Off Vote"!

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
I heard from a good source that officials within the IBT Freight Division are worried about the "laid off vote"! I heard that approx. 37,000 ballots were mailed out. Estimates are that there are 25,000 active employees and 12,000 laid-off employees who are eligible to vote. Other estimates are that approx. 65% of the active employees will vote YES, 30% of the active employees will vote NO, and 5% WILL NOT vote at all! That leaves the 12,000 laid-off employees who might be working on-call, not working and drawing unemployment benefits, or maybe are working somewhere else. Some of these people have been off for over 2-3 years! The IBT is worried that these people will show no mercy towards the remaining people working at YRCW operating companies, and vote NO out of spite, some with NO intention of ever returning to YRCW anyway! These 12,000 votes become REAL important as to whether this thing passes or not! The IBT is hoping that most laid-off employees toss their ballots in the trash rather than vote NO and put 25,000 ADDITIONAL people out on the street! Think about this!:ranting2:

For the IBT's fears to be realized, they would need 11,000 "NO" votes from the laid off workers in order to get an overall "NO" vote. Expressed another way, nearly 92% of the laid off workers would have to vote "NO" I doubt that will happen, I doubt there are that many spiteful individuals out there, but hey, I'm just on onlooker, so what do I know?

We have dozens of dock/yard laid-off employees who work at our barn "on-call"! I've talked to many of them as to how they were voting and NOT ONE of them has said they're voting YES! Most of them want NO part of the 4 hour shifts! The only reason many of them are even working on-call is because their unemployment benefits have run out! If this is ANY indication of how the laid off employees will vote, then they COULD swing the vote! Then again, I think most of them could care less and probably already threw their ballots away! We'll find out soon!

Why would anybody who is laid off vote for this? They should vote to shut it down and maybe get the opportunity to work at ABF or UPS.

That leaves the 12,000 laid-off employees who might be working on-call, not working and drawing unemployment benefits, or maybe are working somewhere else. Some of these people have been off for over 2-3 years! The IBT is worried that these people will show no mercy towards the remaining people working at YRCW operating companies, and vote NO out of spite, some with NO intention of ever returning to YRCW anyway! These 12,000 votes become REAL important as to whether this thing passes or not! The IBT is hoping that most laid-off employees toss their ballots in the trash rather than vote NO and put 25,000 ADDITIONAL people out on the street! Think about this!:ranting2:

I'm just askin, have no info on the subject, but in order to vote, wouldn't the laid off guy need to be current in dues? If you haven't worked for a union job in a couple years, would you still be paying and current on dues?

I heard from a good source that officials within the IBT Freight Division are worried about the "laid off vote"! I heard that approx. 37,000 ballots were mailed out. Estimates are that there are 25,000 active employees and 12,000 laid-off employees who are eligible to vote. Other estimates are that approx. 65% of the active employees will vote YES, 30% of the active employees will vote NO, and 5% WILL NOT vote at all! That leaves the 12,000 laid-off employees who might be working on-call, not working and drawing unemployment benefits, or maybe are working somewhere else. Some of these people have been off for over 2-3 years! The IBT is worried that these people will show no mercy towards the remaining people working at YRCW operating companies, and vote NO out of spite, some with NO intention of ever returning to YRCW anyway! These 12,000 votes become REAL important as to whether this thing passes or not! The IBT is hoping that most laid-off employees toss their ballots in the trash rather than vote NO and put 25,000 ADDITIONAL people out on the street! Think about this!:ranting2:

Oh well, what goes around comes around. The senior citizens didn't mind throwing the junior guys under the bus the first 2 votes. I also think that the onion got the numbers reversed. Sure would be poetic justice to see all those onion freight division(thats funny, division, they have excelled at doing that to the membership)loons get their letter of layoff!

I'm just askin, have no info on the subject, but in order to vote, wouldn't the laid off guy need to be current in dues? If you haven't worked for a union job in a couple years, would you still be paying and current on dues?

Anybody thats been on layoff any amount of time would be crazy to pay the monthly blackmail, I mean dues. You take a withdrawal and with recall, 10 years, you get a ballot. Unless of course you defaulted on them dues(not paying for what, 3 monthes?). Thats alot of gas for 1 of the ba's Caddys! Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is not a union vote. It's a YRCW/ New Penn vote. Anybody subject to recall is eligible. Some workers work for YRC in "Right to work" states. They may not even pay dues.

Why would any laid off worker vote yes to this slap in the face? This vote will be decided by the seasoned teamsters.

Why would any laid off worker vote yes to this slap in the face? This vote will be decided by the seasoned teamsters.
I got news for ya....The "seasoned" Teamsters at Holland are cowering down and voting Yes. Its the younger crowd that is willing to stand up and say "Enough is enough!"

When you get laid off, you go get a withdrawal card and you do not have to pay dues while you are not working. You will still get a ballot. I am not laid off and voted NO!

Some laid-off people will be voting YES in order to move senior guys out the door. If this passes, a lot of people who can retire will retire, and many people who want to get more pension credits will leave for other jobs. They'll be leaving by the dozen. That might get the laid-off guy recalled.

If this passes where are you going to go get another job that will get you more pension credits? I do not think that these pensions are going to survive in their present forms anyway. Senior guys will retire when they want to, they have many things to consider, not just this vote.

Most of the workers at YRC that could retire already have. Here on the west coast, we had something called "RSP" (retirement security program). It was lifetime medical that was free when a teamster retires. In the last contract talks (2008) YRC decided that they would not pay for maintenance of benefits. This terminated the RSP for YRC and ABF workers. (ABF is a ME TOO company, whatever YRC gets, ABF gets it too). It created a divided the workforce into haves and have nots. Then YRC took the pension contributions away, and created more haves and haves nots among the teamsters.

A bit to late to worry about this most votes mailed in. let's see what happens? If laid off and unemployment ran out voted no, I guess you screwed yourselves over .

If this passes where are you going to go get another job that will get you more pension credits? I do not think that these pensions are going to survive in their present forms anyway. Senior guys will retire when they want to, they have many things to consider, not just this vote.

Obviously you could go to ABF, or you could get into another Teamster pension for a few years. Some guys in Portland have already left for UPSF, Fred Meyer grocery, Franz bakery, etc.

About 20 guys here in Portland, have to retire by the end of the year or they lose their PEER eligibility or something like that because they will not have two years paid in prior to filing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got news for ya....The "seasoned" Teamsters at Holland are cowering down and voting Yes. Its the younger crowd that is willing to stand up and say "Enough is enough!"

That's not news to me, I have been thrown under the semi for many years by the seasoned teamsters at Yrc.

A bit to late to worry about this most votes mailed in. let's see what happens? If laid off and unemployment ran out voted no, I guess you screwed yourselves over .

The only one's getting screwed is the yes voters who are keep giving everthing up.Life goes on after Yrc.

Some laid-off people will be voting YES in order to move senior guys out the door. If this passes, a lot of people who can retire will retire, and many people who want to get more pension credits will leave for other jobs. They'll be leaving by the dozen. That might get the laid-off guy recalled.

Have to disagree with ya mr. lover. The pos company will never be recalling laidoff guys. Why? They'll just bring in 2 for the price of 1 on the 4 hour ream and never pay benefits again. Remember, the onion never met a giveback it didn't like.