If I had a restaurant

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Okay here's something different as food service people we go to a lot of different restaurants and places and all of them have there specialties and I think about what I would serve if I owned a restaurant, I mean I go to all kinds of places delivering liquor mostly bars, but I do have a couple high end restaurants that I go to that make some pretty interesting things.

Like okay, I just made a big batch of dirt cake and I thought to my self, if I had a restaurant I would so have dirt cake on the menu. Dirt cake might be the best desert ever I mean it's Oreo Cookies, Chocolate Pudding and Whipped Cream and Cream Cheese all mixed together. Yumm.

I try to think of the things that I would have at a restaurant if I owned one and pretty much all I've come up with is I would like to have a pizza shop as the core product and foundation, but have more then pizza at the pizza shop.
Like I would have dirt cake as one of the desserts, and chocolate pudding pizza pie which is a recipe I entered into a high school baking competition when I was a senior in high school. I ended up getting 2nd place and it sucked because I wanted first and some grand-stander got first :tongue:

Any how what that is, is a pie that has cookie as the crust I usually use double chocolate chip, then I put cream cheese over the cookie crust, then after that I put chocolate pudding over the cookie crust and then whipped topping on the top of the pudding and then chocolate chips on top of the whipped cream, it's very very good and tastes delicious.

Also I would have Strawbeery Pretzel Salad which is kind of a pain to make, but it tastes really good and I make it every Thanks Giving.

The reason I bring this up is because I was thinking if I owned a restaurant what would I serve and I think about what kinds of appetizers I would have, like I would have mozzarella sticks, at my restaurant, because I love mozzarella sticks I go to the GFS store and buy 2 bags of them and cook them in the fryer. Also maybe breaded and fried baloney it's really good. I also bought a bag of these Ruben sandwich balls from GFS I have yet to fry them up, but they show great promise.

Also I would serve steak fries as my french fries, I think steak fries might be the best french fries out there.

Also Premio Foods which is a large sausage maker, has a really great recipe on there website for Spice Italian Sausage Rolls and it's pretty much sausage, red peppers, green peppers, onions, provolone cheese and cream cheese all rolled up in a pizza dough like a Stromboli and cooked in an oven. I made it once and it's totally delicious.

I would also serve pasta carbanera the only difference between my pasta carbanera and the way other places make it, is I don't add peas to mine.

Also Pizza Today which is the pizza shop industry magazine, had a nice article about serving wraps and sandwiches. They have a recipe for buffalo chicken wraps that I made that were delicious, I went to GFS bought some Tyson breaded chicken tenderloins, cooked them and then brushed franks red hot sauce on them and continued to cook them to get the buffalo flavor added in. Then after that I added lettuce, ranch dressing and cheddar cheese and closed and wrapped it all up in a pita and it was very taste.

That's the one thing, about OTR trucking can't eat like mentioned above, I pretty much told my self if you end up going OTR get ready to drink nothing, but water and skim milk and get used to eating carats and fruit all the time and pretty much get ready to be hungry all the time. I can't eat fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner it's expensive after a while and everything else they say. I never got into the habit of eating at McDonald's or any of the other places regularly.

Usually what I'll do is run into a grocery store and buy what ever sandwiches or stuff they have already made up and I don't even do that, that often.

Really though to get back on topic and I don't have to tell you guys this, owning a restaurant it's a lot of work long days, a lot of responsibility big bills. You know I mean it might be 1:00am and your down at the diner or what ever place you own cooking bacon or making onion rings, or what ever because you need to get everything made for tomorrow.

Although I have figured out that Steak Fries are the best of the french fries I like them.
The one thing though that I am still testing is I can't decided between battered or breaded mozzarella sticks. GFS sells both and I don't know which one is better any one have an opinion on what mozzarella stick they like better?

I've kind of come to the conclusion that anything with melted cheese is usually a winner ha-ha.

I don't know you guys ever thought about that out on the road what kind of food you would serve if you had a restaurant?

I think the real genius of the restaurant business is finding a way to take a pretty cheap cut of beef (for example) and finding a way to make it its own specialty. It is like skirt steak, it is a pretty inexpensive cut of meat but you can do a lot with it. Like chicken wings, this was considered a throw away part of the chicken at one time and you could get 'em cheap because no one wanted them. But here we are and we have restaurants who specialize in chicken wings. Same thing with Chicken Tenders, they found a way to take all the parts of the chicken that were not considered a big seller, grind them up, put on the right crust and bingo you have a money maker.

My late father in law was a chef and a good one, he ran two Inns in Vermont and he was the boss. He could make a great tasting meal out of anything. He had a Salmon Steak dish that just kept them coming back for more. Ran it on Friday of course and you couldn't find a parking place. But it has to make a profit and be affordable.

We had an ice cream (I am craving ice cream tonight for some reason) parlor in Southern California called Ferrells. You got a Sunday in the middle of the table and everyone dug in. One was named "The Pig Trough" it was kinda like a self serve sundae house. They have a bigger one called "The Zoo". It was genius in its time. Player piano, people dressed up like old soda jerks. It was fun going there in Van Nuys when I was a kid. 31 Flavors was nice, you could get a hot fudge sundae or banana split anywhere but at Ferrells you could wear your sundae as a trophy on your shirt as your walked out.

It is hard to find a decent restaurant at a truck stop and they all serve the same thing. I take raw Jicama cut it up (you gotta take the skin off because it will make you sick, that is the reason bugs leave it alone) and dip it in ranch dressing. Someone said they have made french fried Jicama and it is so much better than potatoes. We have french fried sweet potatoes at Mooyah Burger and they are good.

We had an ice cream (I am craving ice cream tonight for some reason) parlor in Southern California called Ferrells. You got a Sunday in the middle of the table and everyone dug in. One was named "The Pig Trough" it was kinda like a self serve sundae house. They have a bigger one called "The Zoo". It was genius in its time. Player piano, people dressed up like old soda jerks. It was fun going there in Van Nuys when I was a kid.

Been back in CA since 2009. If you ever find your way out here you can have the Zoo carried to your table on a stretcher just like the old days :)

Farrell's - Ice Cream Parlour Restaurants - History Of Fun

I would have a bufffet, oh I love buffets.

I would have the kitchen prep areas separated, so that we would be sure that this section of the bufftet was completely gluten free, and this other section of the buffet was completely dairy free and another section of the buffet was completely peanut free, and I don't know, whatever are the popular things people are allergic to, we could make a section tax free and another drama free.

I would have the kitchen prep areas separated, so that we would be sure that this section of the bufftet was completely gluten free, and this other section of the buffet was completely dairy free and another section of the buffet was completely peanut free, and I don't know, whatever are the popular things people are allergic to, we could make a section tax free and another drama free.

:LMAO: Ted you crack me up!

The Drama Free Buffet....I like the concept! No owner saying "You go now, you been here two hours".
John Pinette Official Website