TForce | If t force wants less miles and more freight

No port

Libertarian free thinker
Credits
If this is the goal, the company is going to stop serving rural points.
There will be layoffs for sure, and less freight in the more spread out terminals.
I suspect a few regular p&d runs to be eliminated at the very least in every service center in the southwest, the mountain west and the rural south.
They may just blanket state that they will only go such and such a radius from a terminal.
At that point the brokers which is at least 30 % of the P&d will not use tforce for these pu and delivery locations.
It is what it is.

A simple way would be to:

1) Start earlier.

2) Stop putting so many appointment stops on the same truck, OR schedule the appointments on different days?

Just slow the freight a little bit.

Everyone will just have to wait for the truck to get there.

Here is 4 pallets of demerol for downtown for the hospital. Go deliver it. But WAIT.. here is 30 more pallets for 21 customers in that area, come back when empty.

No.

Get and find 21 trucks and load each for the customers. If THEY have to wait, then let em.

When I started off in Trucking we had until say next monday sunrise to be on the west coast and delivery empty. Whatever we had to do, that load WILL BE EMPTY by lunch monday.

Now its hours to be on the west coast. With theses loads that are NOT THAT IMPORTANT. It will get there when it gets there on a truck that pays attention to just that one customer.

If Transforce hates the costs associated with actually running a trucking company, they should just stop, sell everything and GTFO of this industry. Money is what makes our world go around. Its going to be costly all around.

Which is funny. I thought TF was built by UPS as a vehicle to stop costing UPS money in certain things of their business. Well, TF can build another company to carry the costs that are intolerable.

The CEO of trans force int, is sharp. He knows exactly what he is saying and doing.
Did anyone actually read what he said?
The 10 points off the o.r. came from cutting bad freight and ups sweetheart contracts, and ups bullshit.
This year they will be cutting waste, and anyone who is honest knows there is a lot of waste at this company.
The word is, that they are doing away with trap trailers, which is another cost saving measure.
Everytime you hold freight it means waste and more chance of damage. Everytime you move a pallet it cost money in labor.
Appointments freight is being eliminated.

The CEO of trans force int, is sharp. He knows exactly what he is saying and doing.
Did anyone actually read what he said?
The 10 points off the o.r. came from cutting bad freight and ups sweetheart contracts, and ups ********.
This year they will be cutting waste, and anyone who is honest knows there is a lot of waste at this company.
The word is, that they are doing away with trap trailers, which is another cost saving measure.
Everytime you hold freight it means waste and more chance of damage. Everytime you move a pallet it cost money in labor.
Appointments freight is being eliminated.
appointment freight is a fact of life,it is expanding in volume while dock to dock manufacturing business is still contracting. Charge more for residential , more for lift-gate as an accessorial fee and it is profitable. Bedard is out of touch and clueless in that regard. There is no bad freight, their is only poorly priced freight. Our on time service, missed pick up, damages are amongst the worst in the industry. Fix this and you can charge more just as Old Dominion has done.

appointment freight is a fact of life,it is expanding in volume while dock to dock manufacturing business is still contracting. Charge more for residential , more for lift-gate as an accessorial fee and it is profitable. Bedard is out of touch and clueless in that regard. There is no bad freight, their is only poorly priced freight. Our on time service, missed pick up, damages are amongst the worst in the industry. Fix this and you can charge more just as Old Dominion has done.

Every time a pallets is moved it increases the likelihood of damage.
That is why appointments are bad.
The freight has to be handled and moved multiple times, each time after the first time is a lose of revenue, so I would say that Bedard knows exactly what he is talking about.
The traps are being done away with, so get used to it, appointments, residential, other labor intensive deliveries are not profitable and just saying charge more isn't a fix, because as.you said the industry expects it, so the shippers will just go with another carrier, which is just fine, since freight that makes no money isn't worth moving

The freight has to be handled and moved multiple times, each time after the first time is a lose of revenue, so I would say that Bedard knows exactly what he is talking about.
The traps are being done away with, so get used to it, appointments, residential, other labor intensive deliveries are not profitable and just saying charge more isn't a fix, because as.you said the industry expects it, so the shippers will just go with another carrier, which is just fine, since freight that makes no money isn't worth moving
no dis-respect but TForce is not in any position to get rid of appointment freight. Dock to dock manufacturing freight is sought after like gold in San Francisco 180 years ago . We cannot price ourselves competitively on that business. We want "freight that fits" but we won't market price it to fall on our trucks. The downside of course of being a high cost union carrier. Get ready though, there are big plans to reduce costs in the upcoming negotiations two years out. Bedard does not have deep pockets like Big Brown does.

At my place they won't send trailers down the road because they are half full...so they send the road guys down the road with empties...

Keep doing residentials if the company wants, BUT:

1) GIVE THE DRIVERS TO THE TOOLS TO DELIVER IT:

End of line terminals, with say 15-30 drivers, should have 3 electric jacks that are not assigned to anyone, but parked in reserve. If you've got a heavy residential, or situation where you need an electric, then it's yours for the day.

Larger terminals or hubs, maybe 5-6 jacks in reserve.

i havent seen sunsetter lately, but if we're going to keep doing them, then the right cart makes all the difference in the world and it won't cost much at all. Again, maybe have 3 in reserve.

2) DON'T SCHEDULE SO MANY DAM APPOINTMENTS ON THE SAME DAY.

i think i had 5 appointments yesterday, 2 were residential, one construction site and you know how THAT goes.......

i had 2 in the morning and was late for one, but they were still there so they took it. i had 2 residentials before 2p and was late for the second one, but they were down the street so they met me in a few mins; it was a situation where they owned several houses and was remodeling this one possibly to resell. It was a tile delivery.

The construction site (and these are ALWAYS slow because you have to hunt someone down etc....) i got there 3:30 ish and it looked like no-one was there. i called the number and no-one picked up. i don't blame them. i was about to leave, but i decided i would go in just to be thorough because there were still signs of someone still around. After wandering thru a maze, lo and behold, yes, someone was able to track down my contractor and yes, we were able to deliver it all the while the contractor said they were just about to leave.

i COULD NOT RUN THE ROUTE first stop closest, 2nd stop next closest and so on. i had to run the route based on appointment cut off time. If the company wants to cut down on mileage, this would be a good place to start.....

i would say if were are going to continue to do appointments, then one per day sounds about right. OR Maximum 2 per day AND ONLY one in the morning---6-12, and ONLY one in the after noon 12-6
AND load the appointments ON THE REAR OF THE G DAM TRAILER.

3) LOAD THE G DAM TRAILER RIGHT:
We need to send out a simple bulletin to all the docks. And this is: If it's a long pallet, load the heavier side in first towards the nose. This way we can angle the pallet on the liftgate sideways. You can't fit a long pallet on the liftgate straight out like you can a regular sized pallet.

If the pallet is so long that you can't turn it around in the trailer, then i don't know how you're going to unload it if the heavier side is facing the door?

If we load it heavier side in towards the nose, then this means the pallet jack (may have to load another pallet jack in with the pallet) can be on the heavier of the pallet to begin with.

4) CHANGE DELIVERY PROCEDURES:
Forget "curbside delivery." How about "driveway delivery?" Meaning we leave it on the driveway irregardless if you're home. If it gets stolen, it's on you.

OR, fax or email a form to the customer that clearly states curbside delivery, driver discression to do anything further----like roll it into the garage etc. The customer has to sign it and email or text it back.
The driver carries this agreement along with the delivery bills. IF the customer tries to play stupid, you whip it out and say, "sorry ma'am, but you signed........."

That's all we do is damage freight! Strip a trailer in the morning and watch the show.. no freight to be left on the floor! Now you're either moving in and out of a city trailer 30 times or your squeezing by on the side tearing it up! Depending on the dock guy!

What? You still running spring trailers or what? Freight freight freight. Damage this damage that.

One trailer, one appointment. If you have another appt or customer get a second driver and second trailer and so on. Eventually your day is finished.

The minute you start cramming freight for several customers its going to get ruined.

Forget the dunnage, lets not even start there.

Some of the new rigs we had could run a half full wine glass into and out of Boston on airride in the middle of the trailer without spilling.

no dis-respect but TForce is not in any position to get rid of appointment freight. Dock to dock manufacturing freight is sought after like gold in San Francisco 180 years ago . We cannot price ourselves competitively on that business. We want "freight that fits" but we won't market price it to fall on our trucks. The downside of course of being a high cost union carrier. Get ready though, there are big plans to reduce costs in the upcoming negotiations two years out. Bedard does not have deep pockets like Big Brown does.
I for one am not worried about the next contract. No one is going to accept concessions, the company is making money. It's a nonstarter.
The only thing beyond our control is ending the pension through a buyout.

Pensions must be nice.

Thats one thing we did not depend on ever getting in this lifetime.

If I had to not quit a bad company due to a pension... nuh uh.

I for one am not worried about the next contract. No one is going to accept concessions, the company is making money. It's a nonstarter.
The only thing beyond our control is ending the pension through a buyout.
Bedard does not get the O.R. to 80 without reducing costs. Union folk will see similar increases in healthcare costs that their non union brothers took at the start of 2022. TFI Int'l has 16,500 employees, UPS has 400,000 employees. TFI' Intl buying power for healthcare is much weaker than that of UPS and their profit margin is about 1/4 that of Big Brown. You'll need to be a tad more realistic in your expectations of zero concessions. That won't happen.

Bedard does not get the O.R. to 80 without reducing costs. Union folk will see similar increases in healthcare costs that their non union brothers took at the start of 2022. TFI Int'l has 16,500 employees, UPS has 400,000 employees. TFI' Intl buying power for healthcare is much weaker than that of UPS and their profit margin is about 1/4 that of Big Brown. You'll need to be a tad more realistic in your expectations of zero concessions. That won't happen.
You don't work for t force, obviously.
Our healthcare is administered by teamcare. The pool of employees is greater than the current 10000+ union employees of t force.
We will be taking zero concessions, zero.
We never took one with UPS and we won't take one with t force.

You don't work for t force, obviously.
Our healthcare is administered by teamcare. The pool of employees is greater than the current 10000+ union employees of t force.
We will be taking zero concessions, zero.
We never took one with UPS and we won't take one with t force.
LOL. I know a lot more than you think. BTW you nailed it. Teamcare "administers" your healthcare, they don't pay for it. Right now, through the end of the contract, UPS has paid for it already. TForce paid 880 million for UPS Freight and then UPS paid just over 450 million back to fund the entire teamster benefit package through the end of the contract. TForce will be funding your entire benefit package in the next contract. Think of it this way, You just got married and are living in your in-laws basement rent free right now. It ain't gonna stay that way. Not being a negative nelly, just giving ya'll a heads up for the future not too far away.

LOL. I know a lot more than you think. BTW you nailed it. Teamcare "administers" your healthcare, they don't pay for it. Right now, through the end of the contract, UPS has paid for it already. TForce paid 880 million for UPS Freight and then UPS paid just over 450 million back to fund the entire teamster benefit package through the end of the contract. TForce will be funding your entire benefit package in the next contract. Think of it this way, You just got married and are living in your in-laws basement rent free right now. It ain't gonna stay that way. Not being a negative nelly, just giving ya'll a heads up for the future not too far away.
You will have no say on the matters.
We stuck our thumb in UPS's eye in 2013 and in 2018, to stop concessions, and we will do it again in 2023.