XPO | If you drive a Volvo.....

Bigsqueez

TB Lurker
Credits
....say goodbye to your shiny wheels!
Yes our ever intelligent leaders in all their infinite wisdom have decided to replace those nice looking aluminum wheels with the ugly white painted steel wheels that accessorize our beautiful Sterlings.
Why? not sure, maybe one of you shop guys can inform us.
Last nite at XMP one driver took pics of his Volvo (the one he drives) before it went in for surgery. It came out UGLY!
Why oh why does it seem that every corporate decision made lately is just plain STUPID?!?!?!

Probably to make it easier to keep mounted sets available at all times for all the trucks. They don't want to have to try and stock different wheel/tire combinations for different tractors. It makes sense, but the other wheels are lighter and therefore are more fuel-efficient (can you say "Smart Way"?).

....say goodbye to your shiny wheels!

Why? not sure, maybe one of you shop guys can inform us.

The tire size is different. Naturally, Con-Way doesn't want to spend money on using the recommended (correct) tires, so the rims must go! Instead, Con-Way is opting to use steel rims and tires. I'm sure it will further deteriorate the performance of the Volvo's as the change from 65 mph to 62 mph did...after our ESL run, we're putting in 6-11 gallons (depending on the weather conditions) more fuel than before...how's that saving us money?

Probably to make it easier to keep mounted sets available at all times for all the trucks. They don't want to have to try and stock different wheel/tire combinations for different tractors. It makes sense, but the other wheels are lighter and therefore are more fuel-efficient (can you say "Smart Way"?).

Maybe CFI, errr, Truckload , is running low on the shiny wheels? They took our runs, they take our wheels, will they please take our bosses and just go away!

Smart way fart way...the aluminum wheels are probably more expensive as well...the steel ones get sent for blasting and painting...they are stockpiled somewhere i think...the cost between a piece of aluminum versus steel is considerable...the cost of blasting and painting is minimal...so in cost effectiveness it is "smart way" to get rid of the aluminum...we are about moving freight and turning a buck, not looking good...a sad reality but a reality none the less.

all the wheels i have seen look sandblasted and not painted what happened to power coating them, oh! the real shareholder dont have to drive them rusty wheeled units....

Smart way fart way...the aluminum wheels are probably more expensive as well...the steel ones get sent for blasting and painting...they are stockpiled somewhere i think...the cost between a piece of aluminum versus steel is considerable...the cost of blasting and painting is minimal...so in cost effectiveness it is "smart way" to get rid of the aluminum...we are about moving freight and turning a buck, not looking good...a sad reality but a reality none the less.
I'm OK with making money over looking good.

aww the wonderful corporate image....

...and Con-way is ok with making money while parading a facade of immaculate corporate imagery while our "values" are continually comprimised, but that is way off topic......sorry....i do apologise.

...and Con-way is ok with making money while parading a facade of immaculate corporate imagery while our "values" are continually comprimised, but that is way off topic......sorry....i do apologise.
:hysterical:"immaculate corporate imagery"????? Have you noticed how often the trucks are washed?

Amen to that...it is what is sitting in the drivers seat which is important to me...it really cracks me up..for about 6 of my 9 years I hostled...now I cannot, well now i dont do anything (almost out the door) anyways, when hostling..it cracked me up when the ego holders always complained about getting an old trailer versus a new one...so they always got old trailers...oh man the stories...there is 3 DSR's from XPI (Providence, RI) who ran XNJ routinely...I would actually pull out newer trailers from the empty line just to find the ugliest trailers for them...on more then one occasion I would give them sequential numbers starting with 715 and work my way up from there...the moans and groans were awesome...sorry i detracted from topic..

The biggest thing you and i and every other DSR should worry about is getting paid on thursdays...

Corporate imagery

:hysterical:"immaculate corporate imagery"????? Have you noticed how often the trucks are washed?

Sorry bro, I thought you'd be able to decipher my blasting of hypocrisy through sarcasm. I'm refering to the constant barrage of notes, letters, pamphlets, and other "propaganda" Con-way uses to make themselves appear immaculate, while acting differently. That is the "Facade", a false front if you will, that I am tired of.

Hey koolaid!!

The biggest thing you and i and every other DSR should worry about is getting paid on thursdays...

Oh yeah, koolaid's here.... bringing ya fun.......

COULD SOMEONE PLEAE INSERT THE KOOLAID MAN HERE!!! i haven't seen him in a while.......save me , don't let me fall!

doyou guys know what the price of aluminuim is? think, when they melt down the wheels all that money goes into the icp!!!! again they are thinking of us!!

Sorry bro, I thought you'd be able to decipher my blasting of hypocrisy through sarcasm. I'm refering to the constant barrage of notes, letters, pamphlets, and other "propaganda" Con-way uses to make themselves appear immaculate, while acting differently. That is the "Facade", a false front if you will, that I am tired of.

Makes me think about the guard rail at the end of my street. It was rusted through in spots and the rest was just rusted. In the event of even a minor vehicular impact, it would definitely fail to contain and keep everyone from going over the cliff. It has lost its integrity.

Last year, when the city workers were painting it glossy yellow, I could only think of Conway. It looks pretty on the surface, but they gotta paint it real often.

doyou guys know what the price of aluminuim is? think, when they melt down the wheels all that money goes into the icp!!!! again they are thinking of us!!

What if a volvo truck was running out in the middle of no where lets say oh i dont know colorado and a blow out on the steer happens and there just happens to be a repair guy passing by but we dont have any of those shiny wheels yall like. All we have are the "sand blasted" white rims. So instead of the mechanic being able to swap the spare out right then and there he has to go back to his shop that is miles away get a tire come back remove the blown spare remove the old tire from the rim put the new tire on the rim and mount it. All the while the warranty freight on the trailers is not getting serviced, and you are left with an outrageous bill. But who cares right as long as we got shiny wheels.

Missing the point

What if a volvo truck was running out in the middle of no where lets say oh i dont know colorado and a blow out on the steer happens and there just happens to be a repair guy passing by but we dont have any of those shiny wheels yall like. All we have are the "sand blasted" white rims. So instead of the mechanic being able to swap the spare out right then and there he has to go back to his shop that is miles away get a tire come back remove the blown spare remove the old tire from the rim put the new tire on the rim and mount it. All the while the warranty freight on the trailers is not getting serviced, and you are left with an outrageous bill. But who cares right as long as we got shiny wheels.

Let's do a reality check ; 1)When was the last time you or anyone else blew a steer tire? I know it happens, but how often? 2) you can run a steel rim on one side and an aluminum on the other to get back or to your destination. 3) When was the last time "a repair guy just happened to be pasing by"? and stopped to see if he could help.........
The main reason I am upset about this decision is not because of how pretty the aluminum wheels are, but how efficient they are, and the hypocricy of Ann Arbor preaching "fuel milage" and "one more shipment" on that trailer! Then they turn around and add an extra thousand pounds of steel cuasing more rolling resistance (- less fuel economy) and less capacity for maximum load. They preach one thing and do another......as usual!

You dont think that particular scenario would unfold into the blow out being replaced with a white rimmed steer and heading down the road???