If you were going to be an O/O what kind of truck would you buy?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Just for fun,
If you were going to be an owner operator what kind of truck would you buy?
If it was me I would either get a Volvo VN780 I think those are nice or a Freightliner FLD I know Gully Transport of Quincy, IL has a lot of Freightliner FLDs in the fleet and I guess they even rebuilt a lot of them. I guess they really like them and thought the Freightliner FLD was far superior to the Freightliner Century, Columbia and Cascadia. Personally I think the FLD is a good looking truck, but I like cars and trucks from the late 1990s and early 2000s.

You know Mike, years ago i did give it some serious thought of buying my own truck, but then when i did the homework, numbers were not adding up.

believe it or not, WAYYY BACK then, i was thinking "plain-Jane truck", no frills, no bells no whistles.

I DID however consider and shopped for a "pony pack", or "genset" as they were known back than, and on yeah, the prices back then with labor, was a mere $3,000. They are known now of course as an APU.

WAYYY too many o/o's back then said i'd be a fool to buy such a "pony pack", i's be wasting my hard earned money. Well I THOUGHT BACK then, i'd be saving not only my money, but the main engine.

so back then as far as a truck purchase?

I had considered the Ford (forget the model name) but it was a beautiful hood

the freightliner, which back then may have been known as a White/Freightliner

and a Mack

today, even though my days are becoming numbered as even a driver, if i were to buy a truck, it might very well be a Volvo, or a Freightliner, either one would have to be a condo, at least a 600 HP engine, and ya know what? i might also go automatic as well!

BUT, still a "Plain-Jane" exterior as that DOES NOT impress me to have all the chrome that is available, nor do i wish to waste my off duty hours keeping it all polished, nor does all that glitters, get the loads! It's the o/o that get's the loads, the trucks are still nothing but a horse to pull a wagon, albeit, quickly!

The Ford LTL was one of my favorites & I am not a Ford guy. The Ford was a well made tractor. My employer had many many of them. The company bought some of the first Louisville models made in 1970. Ford factory reps frequented the shop often. They actually ASKED us how they could improve their tractors. The Louisville line was discontinued when they made the model that was later the Sterling. Ford sold their heavy truck division to Freightliner & moved the manufacturing plant to Canada. The first Sterlings rolled out of the plant in 1999. My employer bought the first ones built & then bought the last units built in 2009. I saw some beautiful LTLs at the truck show in Springfield Missouri last year. You can see some of them if you go to the site of the show.
There is an LTL in Dan Seals "Big Wheels In The Moonlight" video.
The gen set or auxiliary power plant was and is a good investment. Idling is wasteful & even illegal in many places. It is also one of the most harmful things you can do to an engine.
Pro you could have probably made money as an O/O with the common sense no frills approach to selecting a tractor. I had a friend that owned his own trucks from the age of 17. He used the common sense no frills approach & stayed in business when others went belly up.
Not many people get rich in the trucking business.

although this pic is of a Sterling, it is almost like the Ford big rig I was thinking of buying. anyone know the model number Ford used to call this?

52619_00mg.jpg

I tell you what that Kenworth T-660 is a nice looking truck. I should have put that one on the list as well.
However I tell you what I think the Volvo 780 would be a solid choice and really it would be very hard to pass up one with the I-shift transmission.

Also what kind of trailer would you buy? I like the Great Dane Trailers the one's Decker Truck Line of Fort Dodge, Iowa has are pretty nice. They have an auto release to slide the tandems.

I would get me a big ol Penisbilt, with an 18 speed and the tall shifter that reaches almost to the roof of the cab, I would drop the air in the seat so I couldn't see over the dash, man, I would look cool on my stool, I would talk trash on my big radidio as well! LOL!!

Oh goodness 18 speeds that sounds like a lot of work up to the roof of the cab oh dear, I want my push button Allison 6 speed auto back ha-ha!

I never got that guys love to have the seat of the truck all the way back and as much air in it as possible. I always like to have the seat right close to the pedals not all the way back and have my head up to the roof of the cab I can't even reach the pedals when it's like that.

I love the automatics, especially in the slick weather, I used to be afraid of them until I learned how to drive one on snowpack, they are far superior to a stick for sure!

Ah heck just for kicks I would like my dad's old B-67 thermodine triplex 2 sticker with an air tag,shaker boxes for traction and don't forget the belt drive for the tandems, but now i'm really showing my age "nuff said just having fun

although this pic is of a Sterling, it is almost like the Ford big rig I was thinking of buying. anyone know the model number Ford used to call this?

52619_00mg.jpg

The A & AT Ford models replaced the Ford Louisville line. This was a new cab design. I think Ford built these in 97 & 98 at the Kentucky plant. Sterling then bought Ford heavy truck division & built them at the Canadian plant from 1999 till 2009. The Sterling model pictured above would have been an AT9513 Ford. Sterling used similar numbers on the tractors.

In the FANTASY realm of a non existent future:

• Drive Train: Completely Overhauled and stroked N14 Red Top producing 800+ H.P. at 2100 RPMs into a 18 speed Road Ranger into 2 axles (with a floater) of ratio 3.08 to equal a real FREEWAY FLYER.

• Tractor: Aussie built 2000 Freightliner Century Classic with modified FLD interior and SUPER SLEEPER as well complete AIR RIDE suspension and extra Forward Lights.

• Trailer(s): Both 48' and 53' Dry Vans, each with 3 axles for "those loads" as well adorned all around with as many chicken lights as possible. ALL bottom side marker lights would also double as turn signals including Tractor. Upper marker lights on Trailer rears only would have triple duty: Marker lights, Brake lights, Turn lights.

• Tractor sleeper comforts:
  • WIDE SCREEN TELE, 10,000 watt STEREO SYSTEM with turntable (for nostalgia purpose). Meat locker as well stand alone Fridge. Full size Queen bed. Gas Oven with 4 burner top. I did say SUPER SLEEPER yes?!

• Cab comforts: 15,000 watt LEGAL (with federal affirmation) C.B. with A-F channels and side bands.

• Exterior:
  • Neon Pink (so I'll not be unseen) sitting on alcoa highly polished and waxed wheels with Heavy Haul Steers and Goodyear Rubber for Drives and Trailers. 22.5 Low Pro.
  • C.B. antennae would be advised through Professional C. B. installation.
  • Headlights with eyelids: H.I.D.
  • West Coast Mirrors with Heat and Electric.
All could be had for, with shipping, maybe a mere 950,000?!
Then the wheels begin turning and the profits supply fuel.

Thank You Hanes For your Support.......CHEERS!!......end of line

Last edited:
Ah heck just for kicks I would like my dad's old B-67 thermodine triplex 2 sticker with an air tag,shaker boxes for traction and don't forget the belt drive for the tandems, but now i'm really showing my age "nuff said just having fun

I'd love to drive an old two stick B Model Mack again before I die, hear that external air cleaner and the bias ply tires screaming.