IN.,Old Dominion trucker with a set was coughing, blew a light,killing driver of SUV.

This could happen. Even if he was eating and choked, i dont see it as irresponsible but rather a bodily function. Horrible that someone died but i hope Indiana doesnt go out of their way to Fry this driver.

The ISP has declared war on CMV drivers here lately. Especially in construction zones. One mph over the limit will get you a citation and a full DOT inspection. I have had more than 10 of my co-workers cited and fined, one shut down for equipment, My neighbor is now on 90 day CDL suspension for 61 mph on a 45 construction zone. Be careful out there.

Road construction statistics show it is a good idea to obey road construction signs.
My opinion as a former UPS Freight safety trainer,it is better to have paid a fine for disobeying the law.
Then it is to suffer regret from injuring,or taking the life of someone because of ones error in judgment.

Road Construction Accident Statistics

Here is another source for this accident. I was unable to post it earlier with the outage...My wife knew the woman that was killed in this accident, was about 8 miles from our home. My wife said she had just left the elementary school from where her daughters attended, She had dropped off birthday treats for her one daughters. Talented artist also. Sad situation for all involved.
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_ad72f0a7-1923-56dc-8faf-ef3012966df7.html

Last edited by a moderator:
My neighbor is now on 90 day CDL suspension for 61 mph on a 45 construction zone. Be careful out there.
Your neighbor DESERVED THE SAFETY AWARD since it's 15+1 OVER!!
It's not very difficult to DO THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT specifically in Construction Zones!!
Your neighbor is available for OTHER occupations unless the current employer retains however not likely unless Union and maybe not then with such SPEEDING CONVICTION/LICENSE SUSPENSION in a C. M. V.!!
When POSTED SPEED LIMITS are seen, OBSERVE AND HEED!!
Where's the problem?

This could happen. Even if he was eating and choked, i dont see it as irresponsible but rather a bodily function. Horrible that someone died but i hope Indiana doesnt go out of their way to Fry this driver.
Eating while Driving is one of the MANY DISTRACTIONS and as such is easily seen as Dangerous Driving and it was OBVIOUS in his case.
Vomiting is a Bodily Function and if/when done while Driving, can CAUSE adverse effects.
WE'VE read about (here at TB) some Drivers running into things because they were either CHOKING on a Chicken Bone or coughing because of something eaten, etc., which CAUSED THEIR VEHICLES to leave Roadways. Most cases didn't involve Harming or Killing Humans.

WHY??
Since the Driver FAILED TO STOP before running a Light and killing a HUMAN, how is it not his fault?

If anyone starts Coughing, Choking or other hazards of Bodily Functions interrupt Driving, STOP THE VEHICLE hopefully BEFORE any possibly harmful action occurs.
Doesn't matter which lane you're travelling, GET OUT OF TRAVEL LANE and recover or seek help.

COMMON SENSE ISN'T.

Sad, to have a bad cough do that, & no doubt its possible.

From time to time throughout my life I've had attacks of sneezing fits, some are quite bad, thankfully I never had a bad one while driving. If I had it would not have been a good thing for me or anyone around me.

I'm no longer on the big road, but I drive on interstate occasionally, I don't understand the truck drives nor 4 wheelers drivers that refuse to slow down to the SPEED LIMIT in posted construction zones. Not long back I was going through a construction zone, I slowed down to the posted speed limit, an 18 wheeler run up behind me & it seemed he wanted to push me to the speed he wanted to go, for he got right on my bumper. Some drivers seem to go out of their way to get a ticket & or to cause or be involved in a bad wreck.

This could definitely happen to any of us, and really, all you can do is attempt to be prepared. I think the number one habit to be in ALL the time is removing your foot from the go pedal and keeping those jakes on where possible. It is amazing, slowing your vehicle even 5mph can save a life or two!!!!!!! I look at it like I have 11 hours a day to THINK about what makes sense with regard to safety, and what would I do IF...................

Have a safe ride drivers, see ya on the big road(s)!

Sad, to have a bad cough do that, & no doubt its possible.

From time to time throughout my life I've had attacks of sneezing fits, some are quite bad, thankfully I never had a bad one while driving. If I had it would not have been a good thing for me or anyone around me.

I'm no longer on the big road, but I drive on interstate occasionally, I don't understand the truck drives nor 4 wheelers drivers that refuse to slow down to the SPEED LIMIT in posted construction zones. Not long back I was going through a construction zone, I slowed down to the posted speed limit, an 18 wheeler run up behind me & it seemed he wanted to push me to the speed he wanted to go, for he got right on my bumper. Some drivers seem to go out of their way to get a ticket & or to cause or be involved in a bad wreck.

I used to have SEVERE Hay fever when i was younger. I was told as you get older it gets better which it has. If i had the Hay fever now that i did as a child, i couldnt drive in the summer especially with a non AC cab . The sneezing attacks would cause me to park it anywhere i was. As far as chocking, this one makes me need to change my habits. I am constantly hitting vending machines at my stops and snacking on chips and pretzels. i could see something going down the wrong pipe and choking me.

Road construction statistics show it is a good idea to obey road construction signs.
My opinion as a former UPS Freight safety trainer,it is better to have paid a fine for disobeying the law.
Then it is to suffer regret from injuring,or taking the life of someone because of ones error in judgment.

Road Construction Accident Statistics

I'm not trying to make excuses but if you run the construction speed limit (usually 40-45) you will get run over. I generally run about 5 over.

I'm not trying to make excuses but if you run the construction speed limit (usually 40-45) you will get run over. I generally run about 5 over.

And then the car in front of you starts to run 5 over because you are creeping up on him, and then the guy in front of him runs 5 over. Next thing you know, everyone is piled up on the ass of one guy who decided to go the speed limit. In all honesty, what does 5 over get you besides a chance at a ticket? You're still going to have the genius going 90 in his SUV with a cup of coffee and a cellphone flashing his brights from 3 ft. off your bumper.

And then the car in front of you starts to run 5 over because you are creeping up on him, and then the guy in front of him runs 5 over. Next thing you know, everyone is piled up on the ass of one guy who decided to go the speed limit. In all honesty, what does 5 over get you besides a chance at a ticket? You're still going to have the genius going 90 in his SUV with a cup of coffee and a cellphone flashing his brights from 3 ft. off your bumper.

I never creep up on anybody's rear end. I don't tailgate. I run 5 over until I get to the point where somebody is front of me and then I need to back out a little bit.

Good practice BubbaSkinner,chain reaction crashes always happen when vehicles are running in a pack.

Stay back,run alone and focus on your surroundings.
For a better chance of making your destination without swapping paint with anyone in your travels.

I leave a football field of space in front of me in single lane construction zones. That's my out. I do the speed limit or less depending on what's happening in the work area. To the people behind me, you don't have to like me. I don't care. I just want to get home safely and do all I can to make sure those highway workers do too. Maybe it stems from my Dad being one of those work zone workers for all my years on this earth until he retired.

BubbaSkinner said:
And you call yourself a road driver!

I've seen some of our road drivers run 68 (when we could still run 68) through 45mph construction zones. Idiots.

I edited my post Mr. Skinner. You may want to read it again lol. I hit send on my phone before I was ready to send lol. A correctable error unless brown has it as an audit item lol

Just giving you a hard time....I've seen a lot of work zones where they set the speed limit way too low for when there are no workers present and they don't take down the signs....There was one stretch of I-74 where it was wide open with nothing around and no construction being done for months and it was still 40mph! Of course everyone ran 70 through there so you had a choice between getting run over or speeding.

Yeah I know those kind of "work zones" states should not be doing that Crap. I am talking actual work zones. I know the type of driver doing 20 over if they can while workers are present. I also knew you were messing with me :)