XPO | Inexperience?

shamrockhockey

TB Lurker
Credits
A recent driving school grad. Not necessarily the cause. But something to be questioned? Just send them.

A recent driving school grad. Not necessarily the cause. But something to be questioned? Just send them.

I’m sure inexperience played a role. I-81 can be a dangerous road at times.

We have a bad reputation in the industry. We can not attract experienced drivers so we have to train non drivers . Simple
We aren't the only ones doing it. All the LTLs are offering CDL training and most all training time is paid.

I was told by drivers at his SIC that he fell asleep. He fell asleep on his way to the FAC he was only 39 miles from it. The big question is if he was this tired how was he going to make it back to his SIC which is around 218miles away.

One big issue I see with new night linehaul drivers is the inability to get enough sleep. It happens to (almost) all of us.
That’s why I got off running the road as soon as someone got hired underneath me. P&D was no picnic by any means but at least I could go home and sleep like a normal human being should. like an old teamster told me at 02:00 one morning, “the night time was made for sleeping, not working .”

That’s why I got off running the road as soon as someone got hired underneath me. P&D was no picnic by any means but at least I could go home and sleep like a normal human being should. like an old teamster told me at 02:00 one morning, “the night time was made for sleeping, not working .”
A teamster told you at 2am. Now that's funny

I heard from one of the other linehaul driver at his terminal his first nite on linehaul by himself
Well at some point you got to put the big boy pants on. These new driver are coddled to much. They are now asked if they FEEL they are ready to go out on there own. If you have your CDL and hired here you are over 21 it's time to get off mommy's teat and put you big boy pants on

Well at some point you got to put the big boy pants on. These new driver are coddled to much. They are now asked if they FEEL they are ready to go out on there own. If you have your CDL and hired here you are over 21 it's time to get off mommy's teat and put you big boy pants on

I started driving TT in 1966. I still don't FEEL I'm ready to go out on my own but I'm too embarrassed to tell dispatch.

yeah it was. I was working the I/b shift with a teamster carrier at the time, st johnsbury trucking, and we were all taking a coffee break at 2 in the morning when the old guy just came out with it. I guess he was just sick of working the grave yard shift. Weird I know, but true!
Old St Johnsbury trucking Teamster here . What terminal did you work at ? I started in Bellows and transferred to St Johnsbury when there was an opening . Great company .

Old St Johnsbury trucking Teamster here . What terminal did you work at ? I started in Bellows and transferred to St Johnsbury when there was an opening . Great company .
Agree on the great company. Worked occasional casual P&D at the Kearny, NJ terminal long ago and then occasional casual road and P&D after they moved to Moonachie.