Holland | Inhumane cold dock work environment

The difference between an autonomous forklift and an autonomous car is that an autonomous forklift, like autonomous mining equipment that is substantially larger, operates in a people-free environment for the most part.

The AI doesn't have to be brilliant. It just has to be smart enough to execute a series of commands based on sensor readings. And if you think that technology doesn't already exist, you're wrong. There are mines where human interference amounts to fixing the machines when they break. All they need to do is map the terrain using the sensors and the machine does the rest.

I assure you that an autonomous forklift can do your job. The only reason they're not widespread yet is because they are still prohibitively expensive compared to people in a busy environment such as a break bulk crossdock. And considering just this year Intel revealed a processor suite specifically designed to work like the human brain, machines like these are getting closer to being able to interact with people.
They are also starting to write their own code as well.

We all want to say that it is not coming, but it is. Maybe not in the next 5-10 yrs but the technology is advancing at a pace that is undeniable these days.

I pick up at a robotic factory where they have had an arm with attachments that can place and put in a screw the size of a pin head. The dock guy walked me back and showed me when I doubted him.

Autonomous vehicles on the other hand I do believe are a bit further from fully replacing a human. The tech is getting better and coming on line, but I do believe the main hang up will be the fact it truly will not be functional unless all vehicles are automated.. there are to many factors that can go wrong otherwise, and as far as trucks, yes maybe OTR in a logistictrain but city ops once again to many factors involved.

One thing to keep in mind, the military is pushing for this technology for their logistics divisions. Once they get it and put it to use the civilian market will follow.

We all want to say that it is not coming, but it is. Maybe not in the next 5-10 yrs but the technology is advancing at a pace that is undeniable these days.

I pick up at a robotic factory where they have had an arm with attachments that can place and put in a screw the size of a pin head. The dock guy walked me back and showed me when I doubted him.

Autonomous vehicles on the other hand I do believe are a bit further from fully replacing a human. The tech is getting better and coming on line, but I do believe the main hang up will be the fact it truly will not be functional unless all vehicles are automated.. there are to many factors that can go wrong otherwise, and as far as trucks, yes maybe OTR in a logistictrain but city ops once again to many factors involved.

One thing to keep in mind, the military is pushing for this technology for their logistics divisions. Once they get it and put it to use the civilian market will follow.
Exactly! Autonomous road vehicles are still a little ways off yet, to be sure, and for them to be cost effective enough to truly replace human drivers they would have to completely replace human drivers. As long as the human element is in play, autonomous vehicles will only be so effective.

And it'll be a sad day if that ever happens. I, for one, have no interest in giving up control to a computer.

I can remember Dick Tracy, his 2 way wrist radio, Buck Roger's space ship, man on the moon, all fiction, never gonna happen.
Just to name a couple, like it or not, it's coming!

Exactly! Autonomous road vehicles are still a little ways off yet, to be sure, and for them to be cost effective enough to truly replace human drivers they would have to completely replace human drivers. As long as the human element is in play, autonomous vehicles will only be so effective.

And it'll be a sad day if that ever happens. I, for one, have no interest in giving up control to a computer.
http://myfox8.com/2018/01/23/tesla-in-autopilot-mode-crashes-into-fire-truck/

This auto pilot was set on "Boardwalk".

hIY4kac.jpg

This guy had his on autopilot also. Hope he wasn't trip leased to Coop Dispatch???
G3bSAWE.jpg

This guy had his on autopilot also. Hope he wasn't trip leased to Coop Dispatch???
G3bSAWE.jpg
The company hires rookies who have no common sense. The picture proves it. And rookies hire on with very low pay. And the money the company saves by paying low wages, enables them to pay for accidents, property damage, pain & suffering, attorneys, etc. Trucking economics @ it's finest. von.

The company hires rookies who have no common sense. The picture proves it. And rookies hire on with very low pay. And the money the company saves by paying low wages, enables them to pay for accidents, property damage, pain & suffering, attorneys, etc. Trucking economics @ it's finest. von.
Careful Von, this is the model that YRC/Holland is morphing to by hiring on those straight out of driving school and those with limited experience.. we are going to have to start being a little more compassionate in the near future to Swift.

Have you ever asked yourself why commercial airlines haven’t gone fully autonomous yet? Had a conversation with an American Airlines Pilot the other day and I posed this question to him since so many people think that cars and trucks will go this way.

He said to me that the planes in their current form with all the electronics and such pretty much fly, can take off, and land by themselves already. So why hasn’t United, American, Spirit, Southwest, Delta and all the others gone to this mode or at least through drone technology as of yet.. Airline pilots are not cheap and would be one way to reduce overhead for these companies..

Careful Von, this is the model that YRC/Holland is morphing to by hiring on those straight out of driving school and those with limited experience.. we are going to have to start being a little more compassionate in the near future to Swift.
Remind me to NOT under write their insurance. von.

Have you ever asked yourself why commercial airlines haven’t gone fully autonomous yet? Had a conversation with an American Airlines Pilot the other day and I posed this question to him since so many people think that cars and trucks will go this way.

He said to me that the planes in their current form with all the electronics and such pretty much fly, can take off, and land by themselves already. So why hasn’t United, American, Spirit, Southwest, Delta and all the others gone to this mode or at least through drone technology as of yet.. Airline pilots are not cheap and would be one way to reduce overhead for these companies..

The computer can’t perform takeoff or landing. If on final & depending on the type of aircraft the auto pilots give up control to the pilot near the threshold of the runway, if they haven’t already disengaged the auto. I am not a pilot, but I imagine a pilot could generate a 10 page list of in flight emergence’s a computer could not do. It would have to be a trained pilot on board to handle the problem. On the 747 & Air Bus 380 below the cockpit is the avionics bay where if a problem arises the flight crew member goes down in to the bay & works on the problem. Now, someone needs to design a computer that can walk down in to the bay & fix the problem & handle the takeoff & landing.

The computer can’t perform takeoff or landing. If on final & depending on the type of aircraft the auto pilots give up control to the pilot near the threshold of the runway, if they haven’t already disengaged the auto. I am not a pilot, but I imagine a pilot could generate a 10 page list of in flight emergence’s a computer could not do. It would have to be a trained pilot on board to handle the problem. On the 747 & Air Bus 380 below the cockpit is the avionics bay where if a problem arises the flight crew member goes down in to the bay & works on the problem. Now, someone needs to design a computer that can walk down in to the bay & fix the problem & handle the takeoff & landing.
Actually Von he said they can perform the take offs and landings now. He said he has the option to utilize this or fly stick. He said he likes to fly manually, but in weather he has let the computer take him in more times than naught.

You may just be right that it gives up control at the threashold and he left that part out of the conversation, but the fact that the AI pretty much does most of the work is a small step in the direction of replacing the human element. Add in the drone technology online with the Military it is not going to be a huge leap to institute that over to civilian. Would be like a central dispatch with an office full of operators overseeing the flights. I know United already has their central dispatch located in Chicago, not sure about the other airlines though.

Actually Von he said they can perform the take offs and landings now. He said he has the option to utilize this or fly stick. He said he likes to fly manually, but in weather he has let the computer take him in more times than naught.

You may just be right that it gives up control at the threashold and he left that part out of the conversation, but the fact that the AI pretty much does most of the work is a small step in the direction of replacing the human element. Add in the drone technology online with the Military it is not going to be a huge leap to institute that over to civilian. Would be like a central dispatch with an office full of operators overseeing the flights. I know United already has their central dispatch located in Chicago, not sure about the other airlines though.
Biggest complaint of pilots today? Is the plane fly's itself after reaching angels 35 or whatever they are assigned. So the longer the computer fly's the plane the less stick time & experience the pilot has. Give me a well seasoned pilot with 5,000 hours in a crop duster. Much safer. And if ya gonna crash in a crop duster, just say a very short prayer. In a big jet @ 40 angels, ya got about 5 minutes of prayer. von.

Biggest complaint of pilots today? Is the plane fly's itself after reaching angels 35 or whatever they are assigned. So the longer the computer fly's the plane the less stick time & experience the pilot has. Give me a well seasoned pilot with 5,000 hours in a crop duster. Much safer. And if ya gonna crash in a crop duster, just say a very short prayer. In a big jet @ 40 angels, ya got about 5 minutes of prayer. von.
I agree Von! I would much rather have a pilot with plenty of stick time.. that American pilot I spoke with said he prefers to fly the plane over letting the computer doing it.. Had an Uncle and one of my grandpa’s were both pilots. Grandad started out with an army surplus cub and the last one he had was a Beechcraft bonanza with the V in the back. They would both fly into Oshkosh just about every other year for as long as I could remember..

I agree Von! I would much rather have a pilot with plenty of stick time.. that American pilot I spoke with said he prefers to fly the plane over letting the computer doing it.. Had an Uncle and one of my grandpa’s were both pilots. Grandad started out with an army surplus cub and the last one he had was a Beechcraft bonanza with the V in the back. They would both fly into Oshkosh just about every other year for as long as I could remember..

This Bonanza was known as the "doctor killer," many doctors and lawyers bought these and did not have enough experience
for such a high performance aircraft.
At one time it was flawed, the tail would break off in flight, Beechcraft came out with a modification and solved that problem.
Me, being the chief pilot for Coop Dispatch use the computer for all takeoff and landings on our DC3.
Reason for this, Dave won't let me in the cabin till we reach ten thousand ft.

This Bonanza was known as the "doctor killer," many doctors and lawyers bought these and did not have enough experience
for such a high performance aircraft.
At one time it was flawed, the tail would break off in flight, Beechcraft came out with a modification and solved that problem.
Me, being the chief pilot for Coop Dispatch use the computer for all takeoff and landings on our DC3.
Reason for this, Dave won't let me in the cabin till we reach ten thousand ft.
If he has , the hat, with him,you would not be able to get into the cabin....

Beechcraft is a good little plane. Easy to fly, lots of fun. A friend has one & he spends more time in it than his pick up. von.