XPO | Injuries

Be thankful!

Anyone had any injuries yet in the new year??? We had one already...Guy got his arm smashed in the mast of the forklift.
There was an employee at CON-WAY a while back that actually stuck his head and shoulder through the mast when his knee hit the down lever.:shock:
You got it - he did not make it but at least the Nighttime FAC continued after they covered him up so noone going by would stop and stare. The supervisors said there was nothing that could be done so the work on the dock needed to be finished. :shrug:
So be thankful all that was smashed was his arm.
NO JOKE -----PLEASE WARN OTHERS - sometimes we do things like this before we think --- If you see someone start to do this step forward and stop them.
BE SAFE NOT SORRY!:1036316054: :sadwavey:

I heard the story also. Lets compare stories.

From what I heard years ago. This driver was using a forklift and it was possibly crunch time.
The driver got complacent and tried to speed things up.
Instead of getting off his forklift properly to read a Pro number. He decided to stay on the forklift and lift the freight up. He stuck his head through the mast to read the pro number.

Little did he know that the control lever for the forklift got caught in his jacket pocket and lowered the mast and squished his neck apart, possibly beheading himself. <--Yuck that sounded totally gross!!

After that fiasco, all Con-way forklifts got bars installed to prevent you from sticking your head past the steering wheel.

Another guy was traveling down the dock pretty fast. He had tall freight, so he was going backwards. He was holding the Forklift frame like all drivers do. (Not a good thing. Keep your hand inside the framework!!)

Anyway, he hit a long stretch of wet dock, lost control and smashed into the framework of the building. He was wearing gloves and severed his three fingers. They were still in his glove and wiggling.

Another driver quickly grabbed his lunch box with ice in it and threw the fingers in it.
They were able to reattach some of the fingers. Not the same, as this person ended up quitting.

This is a great topic to discuss injuries!! It might just wake us up and make us a better worker. NEVER TAKE SHORT CUTS!

Who else has stories to tell?

Another one I remember:
A driver was loading freight pretty casually. What I mean by casually was he was not properly seated in his forklift. He allowed his left leg to rest in the step area of the jeep. (Older Toyota) His foot was hanging out.
As he attempted to load freight into the left side of the trailer he had to hug the wall and guess what?....Instant dislocation of the ankle as it bent in a direction it was not meant to bend.. Total stupidity on his part.

Lastly, A driver was operating his forklift. He had his left hand holding the side. (A common thing we as drivers do. NOT a good thing!)
As he rode down the dock, Mario Andretti on his forlift, inside of a trailer came barreling out.
Guess What? The driver T-boned the one with his hand hanging out. and He ended up with a smashed paw and multiple fractures.

There was an employee at CON-WAY a while back that actually stuck his head and shoulder through the mast when his knee hit the down lever.:shock:
You got it - he did not make it but at least the Nighttime FAC continued after they covered him up so noone going by would stop and stare. The supervisors said there was nothing that could be done so the work on the dock needed to be finished. :shrug:
So be thankful all that was smashed was his arm.
NO JOKE -----PLEASE WARN OTHERS - sometimes we do things like this before we think --- If you see someone start to do this step forward and stop them.
BE SAFE NOT SORRY!:1036316054: :sadwavey:

I think this is an urban myth, I heard this story 20 years ago while working for another LTL company.

I think this is an urban myth, I heard this story 20 years ago while working for another LTL company.
I agree , I heard it also while working at another LTL carrier. I'm not saying that it never happened it's just hard to believe that it has happened at every trucking company.

The version I heard was that a mechanic did it at the shop in UPH and killed himself.

Spring of last year at shutdown time on outbound while reworking a trailer to cram one more skid. The guy on the forklift ran over dunnage and caught the foot of our hostler under his front left wheel. He was VERY lucky, nothing was broken and he was only out for a week with a bruised foot.

NEVER driver over dunnage on the dock.

The CCX DSR getting killed is not an urban myth, it did happen.
If my memory serves me correctly, it happened in '97 or '98, at either XCN or XCO on the night time re-ship.
I clearly remember our linehaul drivers coming back in the a.m. and telling the sad story. As previously posted, DSR had a skid raised in the air, and leaned through the twin masts to read a pro #, I was told his knee pushed the control lever and lowered the loaded forks, killing him. Within about a month, all of our forklifts were equipped with those knuckle busting, homemade guards on the front of the roll cage.
If any of you have a better memory than me, and can correct date, or location, please do!
Bottom line, accidents happen so quickly, and sometimes with such tragic results, EVERBODY PLEASE, make safety number ONE!

The CCX DSR getting killed is not an urban myth, it did happen.
If my memory serves me correctly, it happened in '97 or '98, at either XCN or XCO on the night time re-ship.
I clearly remember our linehaul drivers coming back in the a.m. and telling the sad story. As previously posted, DSR had a skid raised in the air, and leaned through the twin masts to read a pro #, I was told his knee pushed the control lever and lowered the loaded forks, killing him. Within about a month, all of our forklifts were equipped with those knuckle busting, homemade guards on the front of the roll cage.
If any of you have a better memory than me, and can correct date, or location, please do!
Bottom line, accidents happen so quickly, and sometimes with such tragic results, EVERBODY PLEASE, make safety number ONE!
i was told it happened at xhg.

No Urban Myth

I wish this was a myth but unfortunately it not only happened once but actually happened twice within a month or two of each other.
One DSR was at XHG - Hagerstown, MD & the other DSR was at NCO - Columbia, S.C.
Both were killed (one or both being decapitated) by being crushed by the forklift mast.
The accidents were about four or five years ago but I guarantee if you were there you will never forget.
Also one of our Knoxville drivers had a heart attack while working the FAC dock at XCN -Cincinnati, OH and died. From what I heard, He also was covered up laying on the dock while a Coroner was called and again the dock work continued as again there was nothing else that could be done.:shrug:
Please look out for each other. Safety is not just a word but is a personal action each of us must focus on so we can go home at the end of our day to our love ones.:wavey:

accident

It happened at LDA in '03. Guy drove off the dock during the night re-ship. Killed him instantly. After a while, they kept everything going. I was there. Not a pretty site.

It happened at LDA in '03. Guy drove off the dock during the night re-ship. Killed him instantly. After a while, they kept everything going. I was there. Not a pretty site.
A long time ago at xsb F.A.C..Someone put a plate of steel on the wall of a trailer.He cut the rope.A 2000 pounds plate fell on him.You know the rest.

I was working at XCV on the night reship when I was rundown inside a trailer by someone that passed their trailer, and thought mine was his. I'm unloading My trailer with a pallet jack, and &quot;BAM&quot;, I got a crushed foot, and broken ankle! I no longer work for the company, but I still reap the rewards of someone elses carelessness! 1 1/2 years later, I still can't walk right. BE CAREFUL!!

I got squashed about seven years ago by someone backing out of a trailer while not looking. I had my back turned away from him(bad idea) and I got mashed between The counterweight and the pallet of freight I was using as a table to sign on bills. Lucky for me there were no broken bones just some nice purple bruises. I am really amazed we don't have more accidents than we do cause everyone is in a hurry.