ODFL | Insurance Benefits

Grumpy O' Man

TB Veteran
Credits
Sad!! The Insurance we have today is really getting bad on payed out Benefit's.For what we pay and the amount of money this Company and Top Management rack's in.Personally I would rather them not give me the big raise and just help us out on better benefit's,lower copay's,out of pocket expense.Also,think they need to start auditing United Heathcare for sure.There is just to much stuff being done that we are not aware of till we find out after the fact.

Sad!! The Insurance we have today is really getting bad on payed out Benefit's.For what we pay and the amount of money this Company and Top Management rack's in.Personally I would rather them not give me the big raise and just help us out on better benefit's,lower copay's,out of pocket expense.Also,think they need to start auditing United Heathcare for sure.There is just to much stuff being done that we are not aware of till we find out after the fact.

Your weekly premiums are paid to Corporate for a profit. They negotiate and pay a rate to United Healthcare and then sell it back to you at an increased rate. That is why they always hike your health premiums at the same time as your raise. It offsets the cost of your raise. Yes people, Corporate America is making money off of selling you healthcare. It isn't just Old Dominion.

Your weekly premiums are paid to Corporate for a profit. They negotiate and pay a rate to United Healthcare and then sell it back to you at an increased rate. That is why they always hike your health premiums at the same time as your raise. It offsets the cost of your raise. Yes people, Corporate America is making money off of selling you healthcare. It isn't just Old Dominion.
They make a big deal out of not having a premium increase the past 2 years.Well,family plan has gone up a couple $ past couple year's.But,they just keep taking 100% coverage away on things that were covered.Just Copay was due.Fir example MRI's now carry $150 or so out of pocket plus your 20%.Just keeps on.They sit here and talk about wellcare for us being free.Well,that's nice.But,how about your spouse and family being cared for too.My wife had a procedure done and after United healthcare discounts procedure OD payed there part and I was left with about has much to pay.Think they need to start being more competitive with there Insurance Benefits than there pay.I can't afford to go without insurance .So I'm just stuck and if I ever left from here I would never go to work for another LTL for sure.Good place to work .But,has definitely went South the past couple years.While,upper Management receives there Premium Healthcare and just keeps on pocketing the money.Sad Deal and it goes on everywhere.

They make a big deal out of not having a premium increase the past 2 years.Well,family plan has gone up a couple $ past couple year's.But,they just keep taking 100% coverage away on things that were covered.Just Copay was due.Fir example MRI's now carry $150 or so out of pocket plus your 20%.Just keeps on.They sit here and talk about wellcare for us being free.Well,that's nice.But,how about your spouse and family being cared for too.My wife had a procedure done and after United healthcare discounts procedure OD payed there part and I was left with about has much to pay.Think they need to start being more competitive with there Insurance Benefits than there pay.I can't afford to go without insurance .So I'm just stuck and if I ever left from here I would never go to work for another LTL for sure.Good place to work .But,has definitely went South the past couple years.While,upper Management receives there Premium Healthcare and just keeps on pocketing the money.Sad Deal and it goes on everywhere.

And the wellness care being 100 percent is a law now due to the ACA, not the kindness of their hearts.

Not bashing you guys K. But so many people just look at their weekly costs of benefits, and not their deductible, and out of pocket costs. Especially if you go out of network because your doctor, or hospital is not in the provider network. Making above industry hourly scale, and paying high deductible, out of pocket, and other things like short and long term disability, takes your actual hourly wage down probably $3-4 dollars an hour. Do I understand correctly that OD deducts for disability weekly from you guys? Your gross pay is also affected by not being paid overtime.

Not bashing you guys K. But so many people just look at their weekly costs of benefits, and not their deductible, and out of pocket costs. Especially if you go out of network because your doctor, or hospital is not in the provider network. Making above industry hourly scale, and paying high deductible, out of pocket, and other things like short and long term disability, takes your actual hourly wage down probably $3-4 dollars an hour. Do I understand correctly that OD deducts for disability weekly from you guys? Your gross pay is also affected by not being paid overtime.
Disability is a Secondary Policy that we have.They made it mandatory on short term.They gave us a little hourly raise to basically cover expense.Then long term coverage is covered on us.

Would love for OD Employee's to Chime in on this topic.Not,trying to bash company.Just seeing what I see.Already been told in a way that I'm beating a brick wall with this.Like I said I can't afford to go somewhere else for better insurance.We have ok insurance for what we pay.Wouldn't be so bad if Obama had not went and messed with our FSA and cut it in half.I burn up the max in 6 months now

Disability is a Secondary Policy that we have.They made it mandatory on short term.They gave us a little hourly raise to basically cover expense.Then long term coverage is covered on us.
My point is too that just imagine how much $$ a year goes back to the company from these deductions, and is not paid out to any employee for disability. In a years time it is probably a lot of money. X amount of employees, times the weekly deduction.... Money back in their bank account.

Now we do have great vision since they switched to Superior Vision I can say.
Very true. Health insurance in general just sucks anymore. As a kid, I can remember my dad's job offered him great insurance. Very little came out of pocket. Those days are long gone as healthcare costs have risen to a ridiculously high level. The greedy health providers aren't helping our cause any. This lady at work has been to the doctor 6 times, for 5 different tests on her arm. Is that really necessary? It is if you want to get paid for each visit and add another expensive test each time...

Well my wife was a RN before she retired last year and worked for a major player in the health care business and she had to buy health care from another company even though her employer as I said was a major part of health care here i the PNW, hospitals, clinics, urgent care etc. Her benefits were ok but still out of pocket expenses were going up every year also. Funny you can work for a hospital, and your bene's are not any better than the average employer any more. Its just health care in general. The insurance agencies know folks can not go without health care so they pretty much have you between a rock and a hard place

I believe the health benefits could be much better. Everyone focuses on pay raise or drop and hook rate meanwhile your paying more for everything on the back end of our health insurance. Great company to work for, but OD is focused on the bottom line just like the rest. Some years ago the atmosphere started to change and hit warp speed in the past couple years. Operating ratio and profits are the priority. Yes we are treated pretty well and I like working here but the whole OD family thing is just a sales pitch to the employees.

Don’t kid yourself or sell the drivers short! OD is operating at a 78.6 operating ratio there is no reason not to get a annual raise and keep healthcare at an affordable rate

I believe the health benefits could be much better. Everyone focuses on pay raise or drop and hook rate meanwhile your paying more for everything on the back end of our health insurance. Great company to work for, but OD is focused on the bottom line just like the rest. Some years ago the atmosphere started to change and hit warp speed in the past couple years. Operating ratio and profits are the priority. Yes we are treated pretty well and I like working here but the whole OD family thing is just a sales pitch to the employees.
Did you ever here of the doughboy that drives a tanker and calls radio talk shows

It's true it's crap that each year they sneak in more cost to us to keep the premium the same. Usually co-pay increases. $150 copay for a cat-scan is ridiculous pretty much paying the whole thing in some places. ER visits are ridiculously huge copay then still having to pay a percentage. where we still have it good is the low or no deductible depending on which plan you are on. But where we were at 10 years ago was better. The fact that they don't have a decent 401K match (a good company is 100% match up to employees 6%), they don't pay overtime, they don't pay on duty time, in the beginning I touted the good health care as the trade-off. But it's slowly diminishing.

It's true it's crap that each year they sneak in more cost to us to keep the premium the same. Usually co-pay increases. $150 copay for a cat-scan is ridiculous pretty much paying the whole thing in some places. ER visits are ridiculously huge copay then still having to pay a percentage. where we still have it good is the low or no deductible depending on which plan you are on. But where we were at 10 years ago was better. The fact that they don't have a decent 401K match (a good company is 100% match up to employees 6%), they don't pay overtime, they don't pay on duty time, in the beginning I touted the good health care as the trade-off. But it's slowly diminishing.

I’ve been blessed this year, haven’t had to go to the doctor or have any procedures. Last time I had an MRI I was told I had a $250 copay, when I arrived at the facility to get it done they told me I owed nothing... I will say that the 401k match looks bad on paper but I know that with the discretionary match this year they matched at 107% of our contributions.

I’ve been blessed this year, haven’t had to go to the doctor or have any procedures. Last time I had an MRI I was told I had a $250 copay, when I arrived at the facility to get it done they told me I owed nothing... I will say that the 401k match looks bad on paper but I know that with the discretionary match this year they matched at 107% of our contributions.
Okay if it was over 100% last year I don't doubt you. But that is the first year I recall hearing it made it to 100% math. I didn't benefit much at all from this year's discretionary match for last year having to give up my 401k up in a divorce so I'm still bitter about it. But I suppose if there was a better match on the front end that's just more of the nasty ex would have gotten lol