FedEx Freight | Interested in info about Linehaul with FedEx Freight

CajunRebel82

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello everyone, I'm currently a linehaul driver with Southeastern Freight (SEFL) out of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana service center. Joined SEFL in January thinking I was going to be a system wild driver (out 5 days at a time), but that position was eliminated at the Baton Rouge terminal. I'm now out maybe 2 days a week, mostly home every day which is limiting my miles to 2000-2500 a week. Usually, I'm on the lower side of that range. SEFL is a good company, I just feel like I'm not able to maximize my time with them.

I'm looking at possibly moving to another LTL carrier for linehaul within the next few months (or whenever there are openings). How is FedEx as a linehaul driver? Would I be able to run the road as I want? Also, how are the pay and benefits? I would join the Baton Rouge terminal, anyone work out of that terminal that could share personal experience with the Baton Rouge terminal.

I appreciate anyone's experience and info. Have a great day.

Cajun

Your experience at FedEx will be similar to your experience at SEFL. Home daily and you will not be able to run the road how you want. If your looking to be a system driver with days out at a time, Estes might be your best bet.
Thanks for the info. I actually had an opportunity with Estes before I went to SEFL. Thinking I made the wrong choice.

Thanks for the info. I actually had an opportunity with Estes before I went to SEFL. Thinking I made the wrong choice.

The only word of caution I would offer is be careful with switching truck colors right now. Freight levels are very low for this time of year and there's no telling how bad winter will be. That's probably the only benefit about FedEx. They'll always prioritize drivers working. No runs, you can hit the dock. A lot of drivers don't like doing that, but I prioritize my bottom line.

The only word of caution I would offer is be careful with switching truck colors right now. Freight levels are very low for this time of year and there's no telling how bad winter will be. That's probably the only benefit about FedEx. They'll always prioritize drivers working. No runs, you can hit the dock. A lot of drivers don't like doing that, but I prioritize my bottom line.
It all pays the same. They want to pay me driver rate to work the dock? I'm all for it.

Yeah, I totally understand. If I make a move it will probably be after the holidays/winter. I have no problem working the dock if need be. I'm all about making money.

You'll be hard pressed to do 2,000mi a week starting at Fx. Not sure what ya'll's cpm is, but probably not enough difference to make the move. All LtL is basically the same on the road. No real clear cut best company to work for. Used to be FxF, but they've slipped into mediocrity in the last decade.

I'd do my damnest to get on with UPS package. Significantly better pay and benefits.

Hello everyone, I'm currently a linehaul driver with Southeastern Freight (SEFL) out of the Baton Rouge, Louisiana service center. Joined SEFL in January thinking I was going to be a system wild driver (out 5 days at a time), but that position was eliminated at the Baton Rouge terminal. I'm now out maybe 2 days a week, mostly home every day which is limiting my miles to 2000-2500 a week. Usually, I'm on the lower side of that range. SEFL is a good company, I just feel like I'm not able to maximize my time with them.

I'm looking at possibly moving to another LTL carrier for linehaul within the next few months (or whenever there are openings). How is FedEx as a linehaul driver? Would I be able to run the road as I want? Also, how are the pay and benefits? I would join the Baton Rouge terminal, anyone work out of that terminal that could share personal experience with the Baton Rouge terminal.

Cajun
Stay where you are!

Cajun
Saia still packs a bag at some locations but also If there’s a ABF break bulk near your area I would also consider them when things pick back up. Being an extraboard driver you’d pack a bag maybe 2-3 days a week but being out 5 days at any LTL is starting to go away more and more as it’s not financially smart to do so anymore.. most companies are going with turns or meets more and more. Also like Streaker mentioned.. stay put for sure with slow season coming up.. 2k - 2500 miles is just about the best you’re going to get anywhere in LTL anyway.. I average 2500 miles and I’m on one of the best night bids at my FedEx location

If you want to maximize your LTL Road Driver mileage and pay without regards to family life or your health may I suggest becoming a TEAM Driver for OD

If you want to maximize your LTL Road Driver mileage and pay without regards to family life or your health may I suggest becoming a TEAM Driver for OD
The same @ Saia all you need to do is hire-on with co-driver and tell them yall want to be a "Wild Team". Just be prepared to spend a lot of time on I-95, I-70, I-80 an I-5.